My AR9 build

The black rifle we all love. All variants welcome. 223/556 300 BLK, 762, 50, AR pistols.... Bring it.
Wyldman
KAC Member
KAC Member
Has liked: 0
Been liked: 0

Re: My AR9 build

Post by Wyldman » Tue Apr 12, 2016 1:16 pm

I ran across another new PDW collapsable stock last night while researching the ones mentioned earlier in this thread.

It's called the Armaspec XPDW. It uses standard BCGs, and milspec buffer tube, looks very similar to the others, but doesn't collapse down quit as much. The big news is the price: preorders are being taken at $179, and they are slated to ship the end of April or the first part of May.

Some compromises in size, sure, but at half the cost, it's worth a look, anyway.

Crush, kill, mangle, maim, destroy.
IN GOD WE TRUST

"That boy's paradigm don't always add up to four nickels...."

ssracer
KAC Member
KAC Member
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 61 times

Post by ssracer » Tue Apr 12, 2016 1:39 pm

If it uses a standard buffer tube then it's not going to collapse any further than a standard collapsible stock, other than maybe the thickness of the plastic on the butt.

I really like the looks of the battle arms development PDW. The MVB so far is the only one I have seen so far to offer one handed operation. It's not without its issues though.

ssracer
KAC Member
KAC Member

Post by ssracer » Wed Apr 13, 2016 6:43 pm

The buffer spacer came today so I'll be trying it out this weekend with a spare H buffer I have.
Image1460587221.907297.jpg
Went ahead and started lightening the Spikes Buffer. Miraculously my drill press base has a hole in the center the exact size of a buffer shaft...made things easy. Cored it all the way to where it widens at the end with a 3/8" bit. Tried to take out more with a 1/2" but it kept biting trying to start. Got it down to 6.5oz so I'm gonna try it again too.
Image1460587385.482395.jpg
Image1460587396.513627.jpg

ssracer
KAC Member
KAC Member

Post by ssracer » Fri Apr 15, 2016 8:28 pm

So back to the range after work today. I managed to get the spikes buffer down to 6oz. But I put the spacer and H buffer in first. Didn't hold open. So I load a few more rounds and fire while pushing the bolt catch and it catches between rounds. Ok...its clearing it.

Put the lightened spikes buffer back in. Same thing. Clearing but not working on its own.

Start messing around and notice there is almost no play when the chamber is locked open, like less than 1/16" between the buffer sitting on the bolt catch and it hitting the back of the buffer tube when pulling the CH. This doesn't seem right in my head. To note the spikes spacer I bought with a regular buffer is the same length as the spikes buffer, so both ways it was like this.

Pulled the buffer out and started trimming some of the bumper on the end of the buffer. Put it back in and it starts working some of the time with the Glock and ETS mags, but not the Magpul (they seem to have the weakest springs). So with an idea in my head I pack up and head home.

Pull my AR out of the safe and test the distance from the buffer on the catch to the back of the tube. About 1/4". Check the AR9...barely 1/16". Fucker just doesn't have time to actuate the catch.

Out to the garage I go and fire up the bench grinder and take more off the back. Got it to about an 1/8" of travel now. Don't really want to remove too much more. I am going to take close to 1/4" off the spacer though and try both again tomorrow.

I also bent the tab down a little on the piece that the mag follower actually hits to actuate the catch. That should give it a little more oomph as well.

All and all, if I hadn't bought these spikes buffer parts which both seem to overcompensate, I probably would have been ok to begin with...lol

ssracer
KAC Member
KAC Member

Post by ssracer » Sun Apr 17, 2016 11:49 pm

So bending the tab on the bolt catch piece was a bad idea. That coupled with trimming too much off the bolt catch spring had the factory Glock mags locking open on the second to last round..lol.

But...it is locking open. Hoping to get a new spring from QC10 so I can retune that.

Factory Glock mag worked every time. ETS mags worked almost every time. Magpul mags were about 50%. QC10 recommends only using factory Glock mags on their website. Vast difference in mag spring pressures apparently.

guncrank1
KAC Member
KAC Member
Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 15 times

Post by guncrank1 » Mon Apr 18, 2016 12:01 am

Wyldman wrote:I do, I like working with my hands and chunks of unyielding metal can be rewarding (& cheaper!), but it takes careful attention to detail and a lot of patience. As the old saying goes: you can always take more off, but you can't put it back on.

It would melt out if you stared at it , long enough.

ssracer
KAC Member
KAC Member

Post by ssracer » Tue May 03, 2016 7:26 pm

Got a new bolt catch spring from QC10 and replaced the one I cut. Shaved a little more off the bumper of the spikes buffer and flattened the QC10 bolt catch tab back to factory.

Hit the range tonight and the gun is 100% with Glock and ETS mags. Magpul mags just do not have what it takes to work the bolt catch. Even with the gun apart they barely nudge it. But with the other two manufacturers it locks open on the last round every time.

And zero malfunctions to this point. Gonna need an optic on it at some point.

Wyldman
KAC Member
KAC Member

Post by Wyldman » Tue May 03, 2016 7:36 pm

I am continuing to work on the 80% lower, but decided that I wanted the last round bolt open to work, so I gave up and ordered the correct lower to accomplish that from Joe Bob. It came in today, and I pick it up first thing in the a.m. I should have everything assembled by tomorrow evening, God willing.

IN GOD WE TRUST

Wyldman
KAC Member
KAC Member

Post by Wyldman » Thu May 05, 2016 11:19 pm

IN GOD WE TRUST

Marcus
Founding Father
Founding Father
Been liked: 63 times

Post by Marcus » Thu May 05, 2016 11:45 pm

Wyldman wrote:Image

Nice!
Mandy wrote:I meant Marcus post, he's like ninja slicer, he's nice he's nice he's nice, ....SWISH... he cuts your effin head off ;)

ssracer
KAC Member
KAC Member

Post by ssracer » Fri May 06, 2016 12:24 am

Sweet. Still deciding on an optic for mine, may go with something like a holosun for cost savings

RecoilSensitive
KAC Member
KAC Member
Been liked: 2 times

Post by RecoilSensitive » Fri May 06, 2016 9:00 am

I am putting my sparc clone on. I say clone but damn thing has a better dot than my old real sparc
"But now," he said, "take your money and a traveler's bag. And if you don't have a sword, sell your cloak and buy one" -Jesus (Luke 22:36 NLT)

ssracer
KAC Member
KAC Member

Post by ssracer » Fri May 06, 2016 10:18 am

I've been looking at Holosun. Been reading some reviews and they seem to be pretty good bang for the buck. It's not like this is a rifle I'm going to be banging around training with.

dbh
KAC Member
KAC Member

Post by dbh » Fri May 06, 2016 2:36 pm

ssracer wrote:I've been looking at Holosun. Been reading some reviews and they seem to be pretty good bang for the buck. It's not like this is a rifle I'm going to be banging around training with.
I have one if you want to try it out before you buy one. Only used it enough to zero it so I don't have a strong opinion one way or another yet.

Gunsmokin
KAC Member
KAC Member
Been liked: 20 times

My AR9 build

Post by Gunsmokin » Sat May 07, 2016 7:13 am

ssracer wrote:I've been looking at Holosun. Been reading some reviews and they seem to be pretty good bang for the buck. It's not like this is a rifle I'm going to be banging around training with.
They had these for $159 at 111 the other day.

http://www.blackspideroptics.com/optics

I thought the dot was pretty crisp for a budget optic in that price range. Has some good features. I'm still trying to decide on an optic for my SBR builds. Want to take a look at the Trijicon MRO or an Aimpoint H-1 or T-1 for the 300BLK. Might just go iron sights on the 9mm.
jackalo626 wrote:Skibble dee dibbledy

chaseman31

Post by chaseman31 » Sat May 28, 2016 4:51 pm

That is one of the nicest guns I have seen in a long time.....I would love to have one just like it!!!

Wyldman
KAC Member
KAC Member

Post by Wyldman » Sat May 28, 2016 9:15 pm

You too can build one, just like I did! It ain't hard to do, just costs money!

IN GOD WE TRUST

ssracer
KAC Member
KAC Member

Post by ssracer » Tue Aug 30, 2016 1:06 pm

Finally picked up a holosun. Ditched the iron sights and stole the WML off my spikes HoneyBadger build.
IMG_7459.JPG

ssracer
KAC Member
KAC Member

Post by ssracer » Sun Sep 04, 2016 11:17 am

And now the LAW folding stock adapter...
IMG_3939.JPG
IMG_7491.JPG
IMG_5456.JPG

ssracer
KAC Member
KAC Member

Post by ssracer » Mon Sep 05, 2016 5:56 pm

Finally making use of the maxpedition pack I bought on here years ago
IMG_7512.JPG