Need input from other lifted truck owners

Doesn't fit in the other categories? Maybe just want to post up some humor or random happening? This is the place for it.
drifter0069
KAC Member
KAC Member
Has liked: 0
Been liked: 0

Need input from other lifted truck owners

Post by drifter0069 » Sun Dec 15, 2013 7:43 pm

I have a 1996 Chevy K1500 with a 6" rough country suspension lift kit and 35" tires. I have taken my truck to BigO twice for alignments, only to have it worse than when I left. Where do you all take your vehicles for alignment work? Is there a shop that specializes in lifted trucks? I'm desperate. $1700 in tires getting eaten alive.....

Toddstang
Global Mod
Global Mod
Has liked: 148 times
Been liked: 103 times

Re: Need input from other lifted truck owners

Post by Toddstang » Sun Dec 15, 2013 7:46 pm

Tony's on Poplar Level. Big O sucks ass. Most of their workers don't even speak English.

drifter0069
KAC Member
KAC Member

Post by drifter0069 » Sun Dec 15, 2013 7:50 pm

Do you have a number for them? Yeah, I'm about to park my truck in their waiting room lol.

Winner
KAC Member
KAC Member

Post by Winner » Sun Dec 15, 2013 7:56 pm

Tony's is the only place I go. I've taken two different vehicles there and got written itemized estimates,then put the parts on that they said were needed and took them back for them to line up.
http://www.tonysbrake.com/

drifter0069
KAC Member
KAC Member

Post by drifter0069 » Sun Dec 15, 2013 8:07 pm

Cool, I appreciate the info. I'm gonna call them tomorrow.

Toddstang
Global Mod
Global Mod

Post by Toddstang » Sun Dec 15, 2013 8:13 pm

Winner wrote:Tony's is the only place I go. I've taken two different vehicles there and got written itemized estimates,then put the parts on that they said were needed and took them back for them to line up.
http://www.tonysbrake.com/
Yep!
The only place in Louisville that I will have my vehicles front ends worked on.
Really good lining up 4X4's.

kokopelli
KAC Member
KAC Member
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 17 times

Post by kokopelli » Sun Dec 15, 2013 8:17 pm

Toddstang wrote:Tony's on Poplar Level. Big O sucks ass. Most of their workers don't even speak English.
Another plug for Tony.s they know what they're doing with lift kits on trucks. Does it have a track bar? Is it extended to center the axle? What about a dropped Pitnam arm? Longer lower control arms?
These were all the issues I've had on lifts.
Big O does suck. I quit going there several years ago when they cross threaded lug nuts, left others off and 'lost' a center cap on my Cherokee. They were all Mexicans and zero Habla ingles.

Toddstang
Global Mod
Global Mod

Post by Toddstang » Sun Dec 15, 2013 8:20 pm

kokopelli wrote:
Toddstang wrote:Tony's on Poplar Level. Big O sucks ass. Most of their workers don't even speak English.
Another plug for Tony.s they know what they're doing with lift kits on trucks. Does it have a track bar? Is it extended to center the axle? What about a dropped Pitnam arm? Longer lower control arms?
Big O does suck. I quit going there several years ago when they cross threaded lug nuts, left others off and 'lost' a center cap on my Cherokee. They were all Mexicans and zero Habla ingles.
Big O on Old Shep had a car pulled out of garage and front end went BOOM! Tire and rim went into Circle K across street while Pablo was chasing it down. Looked like they forgot to put lug nuts on.

jackalo626
Global Mod
Global Mod
Has liked: 20 times
Been liked: 22 times

Post by jackalo626 » Sun Dec 15, 2013 8:36 pm

I'm glad Tonys does good on lifted vehicles because they don't do good on lowered cars.

Ian
KAC Member
KAC Member

Post by Ian » Sun Dec 15, 2013 8:40 pm

We send all our lifted trucks to Tonys, our alignment rack just isn't setup properly for it.

Now, lowered cars... I have done all sorts of those without a problem!!
"Not all men seek rest and peace; some are born with the spirit of the storm in their blood, restless harbingers of violence and bloodshed, knowing no other path." Robert Howard

drifter0069
KAC Member
KAC Member

Post by drifter0069 » Sun Dec 15, 2013 8:54 pm

I'm gonna go try to get my money back from BigO tomorrow. Gonna raise some hell. Been less than a week. Either way, I'm gonna try out Tonys. I appreciate the input from everyone.

drifter0069
KAC Member
KAC Member

Post by drifter0069 » Sun Dec 15, 2013 8:57 pm

kokopelli wrote:
The lift kit I installed came with a center link that eliminated the need for a lowered pitman arm and idler arm. Trac bar? Not sure what that is lol. Mine is independent front suspension. The kit came with differential lowering brackets, modified center link, upper and lower control arm relocation brackets etc.

drifter0069
KAC Member
KAC Member

Post by drifter0069 » Sun Dec 15, 2013 9:00 pm

That last quote went horribly wrong lol. Damn tapatalk. Here is the lift I installed. http://www.roughcountry.com/gm-suspensi ... t-276.html

Jakob
KAC Member
KAC Member

Post by Jakob » Sun Dec 15, 2013 9:06 pm

I'll be the first to tell you; an IFS truck with a lift is a bear to align. You'll wear out steering parts quickly, but I'm sure you already know this.
Livewire wrote:I remember when this was a free country and not a fascist one filled with limp wristed, tender hearted, liver lipped bunch of whiny ass cry babies.

Marcus
Founding Father
Founding Father
Been liked: 63 times

Post by Marcus » Sun Dec 15, 2013 9:17 pm

Jakob wrote:I'll be the first to tell you; an IFS truck with a lift is a bear to align. You'll wear out steering parts quickly, but I'm sure you already know this.
This. I don't think I'd own a lifted IFS vehicle.

However, I'll add another recommendation of Tonys.
Mandy wrote:I meant Marcus post, he's like ninja slicer, he's nice he's nice he's nice, ....SWISH... he cuts your effin head off ;)

Mike
KAC Member
KAC Member
Been liked: 5 times

Post by Mike » Sun Dec 15, 2013 9:28 pm

Good to know about Tony's. I know every vehicle is drastically different, but anything over a 2.5" lift on a truck like mine is a bitch to align. I have cam bolts that help but I am only at around a 2" lift. I want to go more but I know alignment is not likely to work out.
:llama:

drifter0069
KAC Member
KAC Member

Post by drifter0069 » Sun Dec 15, 2013 9:49 pm

I'm at a 6" suspension lift, and about an inch of torsion bar crank. My suspension components were all replaced about a year ago, maybe a little less. Everything is still nice and tight. But mine is my daily driver, mostly on the road. Haven't beaten it too much on the trail. I've been lucky so far with the wear. Everything I've read, they eat suspension parts. I will probably go solid axle swap in the next couple years.

kokopelli
KAC Member
KAC Member
Been liked: 17 times

Post by kokopelli » Sun Dec 15, 2013 11:04 pm

you won't have a track bar with IFS. It locates a solid axle to center- it is connected to the axle at one point, runs diagonal across the length of the axle to a point on the opposite side to the frame...people will lift a Jeep or whatever with a solid axle and not get a longer track bar, so in essence it pulls the axle over to the side where the bar is attached to the frame.

drifter0069
KAC Member
KAC Member

Post by drifter0069 » Mon Dec 16, 2013 6:18 am

Gotcha. Thanks for the info. Learn something new everyday.

mtchbrian
KAC Member
KAC Member
Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 8 times

Post by mtchbrian » Mon Dec 16, 2013 9:10 am

the only two big O's I trust are Shepherdsville and the one on outerloop near new cut. they always got the alignment on my bronco right.
Proud husband, father of 3, Iraqi Freedom Veteran, and Operation New Dawn veteran.

drifter0069
KAC Member
KAC Member

Post by drifter0069 » Mon Dec 16, 2013 12:40 pm

Well, I got BigO to refund my money today. As soon as I get a free moment from work gonna get it fixed right.

Return to “Everything Else”