My Glocks Failed to Function

Forum for your two most popular Tupperware handguns. Glock and XD.
Harb
Has liked: 0
Been liked: 0

My Glocks Failed to Function

Post by Harb » Tue Jan 07, 2014 5:47 pm

Today I tried to give my girlfriend a shooting lesson. Tried. The average temperature here in McCracken County has been around 15º F. She wanted to try the Glock 19 and 21 pistols.

The 19 was loaded with 15 rounds of Interarms ammunition, from Alexandria, Virginia. I got 400 rounds for $50 a few years back. I knew it wasn't great ammo, but figured it would be good for plinking and introducing someone to the caliber.

The Glock 19 has been mine for over 4 years. Never has it performed like this. Either it was striking light, or the primers were bad altogether. We couldn't get a single round to fire (except one that we put through the chamber twice, which seemed to work).

The Glock 21 was moderately more successful. It was loaded with some junk reloads I bought even farther back when I wasn't too smart. I figure a Glock would easily digest what my 1911 couldn't. It also had some factory FMJ ammo mixed in. Not only did it fail to fire one round, but it double fed, stove-piped, and failed to eject.

I did not clean or lube either weapon before this, and because of the wind, it took us about fifteen minutes to set up the target with prolonged their exposure to the elements.

Was the cold weather the sole culprit of the problems? I've never had so many problems with my Glocks. I've been thinking about experimenting with different lubes, even a type of grease.

It's been a rough week and this was one thing I had hoped would go right.

Thanks.

Rem700
KAC Member
KAC Member
Has liked: 113 times
Been liked: 57 times

Re: My Glocks Failed to Function

Post by Rem700 » Tue Jan 07, 2014 5:52 pm

Could it have been ammo related? I know you said you were using reloads and some el cheapo ammo. Did u try any new production factory rounds?

Toddstang
Global Mod
Global Mod
Has liked: 148 times
Been liked: 103 times

Post by Toddstang » Tue Jan 07, 2014 5:57 pm

Cheap Ammo and being cold could cause you to limp wrist your shots causing the guns not to fire. Stove pipes and failure to eject sound like limp wristing to me. When its colder your body is already shaking to begin with. I don't care how bundled up you are, if you are outside in this artic weather, you are still going to be shaking!
The failures to fire, did the firing pin leave a mark on the primers? Sounds like shitty ammo. My Glock 17 is over 25 years old now and the only FTE's and stove pipes were from limp wristing the gun. I never had a Glock fail to fire, but I never use cheap ammo or reloads (from other people) either.
I would never shoot any firearm in extreme weather without some kind of lube.

Harb

Post by Harb » Tue Jan 07, 2014 6:08 pm

Toddstang wrote:Cheap Ammo and being cold could cause you to limp wrist your shots causing the guns not to fire. Stove pipes and failure to eject sound like limp wristing to me. When its colder your body is already shaking to begin with. I don't care how bundled up you are, if you are outside in this artic weather, you are still going to be shaking!
The failures to fire, did the firing pin leave a mark on the primers? Sounds like shitty ammo. My Glock 17 is over 25 years old now and the only FTE's and stove pipes were from limp wristing the gun. I never had a Glock fail to fire, but I never use cheap ammo or reloads (from other people) either.
Well, maybe she limp-wristed, but I made a conscious effort to not do that. Marks were left on the primers of every round.

We didn't try anything else because we'd been out there for thirty minutes and were unable to tolerate the cold any longer.

I'll clean the guns and try again with lube. If they fail like this again, I'll ditch the ammo entirely.

Toddstang
Global Mod
Global Mod

Post by Toddstang » Tue Jan 07, 2014 6:12 pm

Harb wrote:
Toddstang wrote:Cheap Ammo and being cold could cause you to limp wrist your shots causing the guns not to fire. Stove pipes and failure to eject sound like limp wristing to me. When its colder your body is already shaking to begin with. I don't care how bundled up you are, if you are outside in this artic weather, you are still going to be shaking!
Well, maybe she limp-wristed, but I made a conscious effort to not do that. Marks were left on the primers of every round.

We didn't try anything else because we'd been out there for thirty minutes and were unable to tolerate the cold any longer.

I'll clean the guns and try again with lube. If they fail like this again, I'll ditch the ammo entirely.
I would say ammo failure. Try different ammo. Glocks knock the hell out of primers with decent strikes.
When cleaning the guns, make an effort to check around the firing pins and make sure no gunk is built up around that area. If you had lube, grease, grime etc in there and being below freezing outside, that could of also played a role. I have seen people lube the wrong areas of their Glocks, putting oil and lube where it shouldn't go. Not saying you did, but you never know, it could of ran down there as well.
Good luck!

richief
Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 1 time

Post by richief » Tue Jan 07, 2014 6:38 pm

light primer strikes, might be time for a new firing pin spring

Toddstang
Global Mod
Global Mod

Post by Toddstang » Tue Jan 07, 2014 6:43 pm

richief wrote:light primer strikes, might be time for a new firing pin spring
I would of mentioned this too, but unless that gun has had over 5,000 rounds through it, I would say its good to go.

guncrank1
KAC Member
KAC Member
Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 15 times

Post by guncrank1 » Tue Jan 07, 2014 6:44 pm

Cold weather will cause some CLPs to gum up and that would affect the primer strikes.

Even on a gun with positive ignition during normal shooting times.

During extremely cold weather you don't want any lube on the firing mechanics.
Lube lightly ever where else

Toddstang
Global Mod
Global Mod

Post by Toddstang » Tue Jan 07, 2014 6:45 pm

guncrank1 wrote:Cold weather will cause some CLPs to gum up and that would affect the primer strikes.

This as well ^^^^

325MOUTguru
Location: Currently conducting operations in Chuck Norris' nightmares.

Post by 325MOUTguru » Tue Jan 07, 2014 7:17 pm

guncrank1 wrote:Cold weather will cause some CLPs to gum up and that would affect the primer strikes.

This was going to be my post.

Harb

Post by Harb » Tue Jan 07, 2014 7:56 pm

Thanks for the replies. Good learning experience.

jackalo626
Global Mod
Global Mod
Has liked: 20 times
Been liked: 22 times

Post by jackalo626 » Tue Jan 07, 2014 10:53 pm

They are broken, sell to me cheap :llama:

justang1997
KAC Member
KAC Member

Post by justang1997 » Tue Jan 07, 2014 11:26 pm

I had an issue with cold temps and frog lube.

Sent from my Q10 using Tapatalk 2

nashvegasmatt

Post by nashvegasmatt » Wed Jan 08, 2014 5:19 am

cold weather should never cause gun related issues... like other have stated.. most likely ammo

guncrank1
KAC Member
KAC Member

Post by guncrank1 » Wed Jan 08, 2014 7:27 am

:lol:
nashvegasmatt wrote:cold weather should never cause gun related issues... like other have stated.. most likely ammo
Cold ammo should never cause gun related issue...like others have stated...most likeky cold weather.

Serious cold weather has gummed up more guns than bad ammo

WLJ
KAC Member
KAC Member
Has liked: 11 times
Been liked: 110 times

Post by WLJ » Wed Jan 08, 2014 7:36 am

nashvegasmatt wrote:cold weather should never cause gun related issues... like other have stated.. most likely ammo
Would like to know your reasoning on that, cold weather can and will most certainly cause gun related issues if not deal with properly before hand. Many of the greases and/or oils people put in/on their guns will start to gum up at temperatures way above what you may experience, doesn't take much in the firing pin channel to jam or slow down the firing pin. Don't trust the labels on the cans.
There are criminals among us who are both homicidal and incorrigible. Their parents took a shot at civilizing them and failed. Their school teachers took a shot at them and failed. The odds are overwhelming that government welfare programs and penal institutions took a shot at them and failed. If it ever becomes your turn to take a shot at them, don’t fail.

mtchbrian
KAC Member
KAC Member
Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 8 times

Post by mtchbrian » Wed Jan 08, 2014 8:00 am

jackalo626 wrote:They are broken, sell to me cheap :llama:
sell me the 19 then Jack
Proud husband, father of 3, Iraqi Freedom Veteran, and Operation New Dawn veteran.

Toddstang
Global Mod
Global Mod

Post by Toddstang » Wed Jan 08, 2014 11:12 am

WLJ wrote:
Would like to know your reasoning on that, cold weather can and will most certainly cause gun related issues if not deal with properly before hand. Many of the greases and/or oils people put in/on their guns will start to gum up at temperatures way above what you may experience, doesn't take much in the firing pin channel to jam or slow down the firing pin. Don't trust the labels on the cans.
Lost a lot of men in Korea because of frigid weather causing guns to fail.

jackalo626
Global Mod
Global Mod
Has liked: 20 times
Been liked: 22 times

Post by jackalo626 » Wed Jan 08, 2014 12:23 pm

mtchbrian wrote:
jackalo626 wrote:They are broken, sell to me cheap :llama:
sell me the 19 then Jack
Absolutely Not!!! Haha you can buy the .45 lol.

nashvegasmatt

Post by nashvegasmatt » Wed Jan 08, 2014 5:55 pm

Toddstang wrote:
WLJ wrote:
So lets actually talk with the facts that you two have presented... I am a reasonable person who can be corrected without shame... I do not claim to know everything, but you guys are just talking about low quality lubes and whatnot, no one has made a good case against my original claim that it's the gun failing. please correct me. Which gun part will not function as intended because of the weather being cold?

Toddstang
Global Mod
Global Mod

Post by Toddstang » Wed Jan 08, 2014 5:58 pm

nashvegasmatt wrote:
Toddstang wrote:
WLJ wrote:
So lets actually talk with the facts that you two have presented... I am a reasonable person who can be corrected without shame... I do not claim to know everything, but you guys are just talking about crappy lubes and whatnot, no one has made a good case against my original claim that it's the gun failing. please correct me. Which gun part will not function as intended because of the weather being cold?
My post is going back to Korea, when the only lube used was a nasty ear wax looking lube that gummed up at below freezing temps causing the guns not to fire.

nashvegasmatt

Post by nashvegasmatt » Wed Jan 08, 2014 6:02 pm

Toddstang wrote:
nashvegasmatt wrote:
Toddstang wrote:
WLJ wrote:
So lets actually talk with the facts that you two have presented... I am a reasonable person who can be corrected without shame... I do not claim to know everything, but you guys are just talking about crappy lubes and whatnot, no one has made a good case against my original claim that it's the gun failing. please correct me. Which gun part will not function as intended because of the weather being cold?
My post is going back to Korea, when the only lube used was a nasty ear wax looking lube that gummed up at below freezing temps causing the guns not to fire.
That sucks. I fully agree.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

DDgunslinger

Post by DDgunslinger » Wed Jan 08, 2014 6:40 pm

nashvegasmatt wrote:
Toddstang wrote:
WLJ wrote:
So lets actually talk with the facts that you two have presented... I am a reasonable person who can be corrected without shame... I do not claim to know everything, but you guys are just talking about low quality lubes and whatnot, no one has made a good case against my original claim that it's the gun failing. please correct me. Which gun part will not function as intended because of the weather being cold?
Here is a bit of info about weapon operations in cold weather, take it or leave it.

FM 31-70 "Basic Cold Weather Manual"

Appendix D

D-2. Factors Affecting Weapons* a. Sluggishness. A common problem is the sluggishness of the operation of the weapons in extreme cold. Normal lubricants thicken in low temperature and stoppage or sluggish action of firearms results. During the winter, weapons must be stripped completely and cleaned with a drycleaning solvent to remove all lubricants and rust prevention compounds. The prescribed application of lubrication oil, weapons (LAW or Lubricant, Semi-Fluid, MIL-L-46000(LSA)) should then be made. These lubricants will provide proper lubrication during the winter and help minimize snow and ice from freezing on the weapons.b. Breakages and Malfunctions. Another problem that faces the soldier in the areas of severe cold is a higher rate of breakage and malfunctions. These can also be attributed primarily to the cold, although snow in a weapon may cause stoppage and malfunctions. The tempered metal of automatic weapons, for example, will cool to a point where it cannot be touched by human flesh. This extreme cold makes the metal brittle. When the weapon is fired at subzero temperatures, the temperature of the barrel and gun will rapidly rise to between 200° and 750°, depending upon the number of rounds fired. This again reduces the temper and, because the parts are working, breakages will occur early in the firing while the weapon is warming up. Many malfunctions also occur during this period due to the presence of ice or snow in the weapon or freezing of working parts. The weapons should first be fired at a slow rate of fire. Once the parts have warmed up, the rate of fire may be increased to the cyclic rate. One of the main problems is to insure that snow and ice do not get into the working parts, sights, or barrel. The weapon must be carefully handled during movement through the snow-covered woods, and especially under combat conditions in deep snow.

nashvegasmatt

Post by nashvegasmatt » Wed Jan 08, 2014 10:53 pm

Great info.. But still only situational specifics.

This + this = a potential higher rate of fail. This is circumstantial evidence.

Nothing states cold = fail

I agree with a little of what everyone is saying here, but it's just to much of a blanket statement to say that cold = fail.

guncrank1
KAC Member
KAC Member

Post by guncrank1 » Wed Jan 08, 2014 11:20 pm

nashvegasmatt wrote:Great info.. But still only situational specifics.

This + this = a potential higher rate of fail. This is circumstantial evidence.

Nothing states cold = fail

I agree with a little of what everyone is saying here, but it's just to much of a blanket statement to say that cold = fail.

ok here is specifics for you Starret brand M1 will gum up at 14 degree F
My Nova that my brother was using to hunt ducks on the Sluices quit firing. He went back to the hotel and let gun set until it warmed to room temp.
It then fired a few shells.

the oil was cleaned off the firing pin spring ,the pin channel, and firing pin.

Cold +oil = fail

Return to “XD & Glock”