1 month food supply

Like to live in the wilds, or just camp? This is the board for you. All things survival and bushcraft related here.
Tyler
KAC Member
KAC Member
Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 3 times

1 month food supply

Post by Tyler » Mon Mar 12, 2012 9:23 pm

http://www.costco.com/Browse/Product.as ... lang=en-US

$85 for a month's worth of food for one, pretty good deal. The calories work out right and the nutritional value is good compared to other companies that charge more.
Height Supremacist

renovatio
KAC Member
KAC Member
Has liked: 0
Been liked: 0

Re: 1 month food supply

Post by renovatio » Mon Mar 12, 2012 9:30 pm

Great deal. About the price of a case of mre's and would go a lot further.
We have learned better than that, and know it more, for it is waking that understands sleep and not sleep that understands waking. -C.S. Lewis

Tyler
KAC Member
KAC Member

Post by Tyler » Mon Mar 12, 2012 9:43 pm

renovatio wrote:Great deal. About the price of a case of mre's and would go a lot further.
and it probably tastes better than an MRE, especially the veggie omelet...
Height Supremacist

renovatio
KAC Member
KAC Member

Post by renovatio » Mon Mar 12, 2012 9:51 pm

Tyler wrote:
renovatio wrote:Great deal. About the price of a case of mre's and would go a lot further.
I have two of those in the garage. Can't bring myself to eat them, can't bring myself to throw them away.
We have learned better than that, and know it more, for it is waking that understands sleep and not sleep that understands waking. -C.S. Lewis

Tyler
KAC Member
KAC Member

Post by Tyler » Mon Mar 12, 2012 9:52 pm

we had a guy who loved those damn things
Height Supremacist

KYgundude
KAC Member
KAC Member
Has liked: 95 times
Been liked: 76 times

Post by KYgundude » Mon Mar 12, 2012 10:09 pm

My worry is you can't try the stuff. If you read the reviews folks mention that they come in big bags not 2 or 4 serving pouches. You'll get like a 30 serving pouch so once it's opened you need to finish it.

Tyler
KAC Member
KAC Member

Post by Tyler » Mon Mar 12, 2012 10:19 pm

KYgundude wrote:My worry is you can't try the stuff. If you read the reviews folks mention that they come in big bags not 2 or 4 serving pouches. You'll get like a 30 serving pouch so once it's opened you need to finish it.
these are supposed to be in resealable bags.
Height Supremacist

KYgundude
KAC Member
KAC Member

Post by KYgundude » Mon Mar 12, 2012 10:21 pm

Tyler wrote:
KYgundude wrote:My worry is you can't try the stuff. If you read the reviews folks mention that they come in big bags not 2 or 4 serving pouches. You'll get like a 30 serving pouch so once it's opened you need to finish it.
They are but a ziploc bag does not maintain the 15 year shelf life. Once you open it you have something on the order of a 30 day shelf life.

Tyler
KAC Member
KAC Member

Post by Tyler » Mon Mar 12, 2012 10:27 pm

KYgundude wrote:
Tyler wrote:
They are but a ziploc bag does not maintain the 15 year shelf life. Once you open it you have something on the order of a 30 day shelf life.
Doesn't really matter unless you're planning on using it for a bedtime snack. If I have to open this bucket, something is wrong and I will most likely be eating the entirety of the bucket inside of a month.
Height Supremacist

CESTILL345
KAC Member
KAC Member

Post by CESTILL345 » Mon Mar 12, 2012 10:52 pm

They would have to taste better than MRE'S!!!!!

KYgundude
KAC Member
KAC Member

Post by KYgundude » Mon Mar 12, 2012 11:53 pm

Tyler wrote:Doesn't really matter unless you're planning on using it for a bedtime snack. If I have to open this bucket, something is wrong and I will most likely be eating the entirety of the bucket inside of a month.
Well I sure hope when you decide to open the bucket one day you find it palatable. I personally test every food I may have to one day eat. Would hate to find out the stuff is uneatable when you really need it. Just an opinion.

justang1997
KAC Member
KAC Member

1 month food supply

Post by justang1997 » Tue Mar 13, 2012 10:58 am

You know what tasts better than mre's. Regular ass canned food.
And its cheaper too. Chunky stew, and pancakes in the just add water pouches, a bottle of syrup, some tuna salad cans and a box of crackers could be aquired for a month worth of food for about $60
Last edited by justang1997 on Tue Mar 13, 2012 11:06 am, edited 1 time in total.

justang1997
KAC Member
KAC Member

1 month food supply

Post by justang1997 » Tue Mar 13, 2012 11:04 am

Oh yeah, forgot to mention that is for more than one person too. I could finish a can of stew myself but there are 2 servings in a can. And a pancake pouch that I buy from walmart make about 5 large pancakes for 50cents.

renovatio
KAC Member
KAC Member

Post by renovatio » Tue Mar 13, 2012 11:27 am

I don't think anyone would try to say the costco thing is the cheapest way to go. But nothing you just mentioned has even close to a 15 year shelf life. Canned stuff is 5 yrs max, most less. If you price this kind of stuff, for a month's supply in a bucket with that kind of shelf life this is a great deal. I tend to just a keep a pile of #10 cans on hand and keep an eye on the dates.

Till
KAC Member
KAC Member

Post by Till » Tue Mar 13, 2012 11:32 am

Going to buy some on wenesday why not....
---------------------Integrity, Honesty, Discipline, Respect-------------------------
WLJ wrote:Damn I need to install a Till filter.
GeminiXD9 wrote:I hope your fu**in car falls apart while your doing 70 on the highway

Tyler
KAC Member
KAC Member

Post by Tyler » Tue Mar 13, 2012 1:31 pm

The benefit here is the shelf-life and compact storage. I don't have much room for our regular groceries, let alone multiple months worth. I'll be ordering one of these and hopefully giving a positive report. There is also variety to take into consideration as opposed to putting rice and beans in mylar and buckets, which is substantially cheaper.

Compared to other 'food buckets', this is a very good price and the calorie content is correct. Other companies have similar items that claim to provide a month of eating, but they figure for a 1500 calorie/day diet. I eat much more than 1500 calories/day.
Height Supremacist

justang1997
KAC Member
KAC Member

1 month food supply

Post by justang1997 » Tue Mar 13, 2012 6:04 pm

I have read reports on canned food from the 50's being perfectly safe. Honest scientific science reports from scientists. Google it and you will find plenty of info on it.

Tyler
KAC Member
KAC Member

Post by Tyler » Tue Mar 13, 2012 6:22 pm

justang1997 wrote:I have read reports on canned food from the 50's being perfectly safe. Honest scientific science reports from scientists. Google it and you will find plenty of info on it.
Yes, IronSights posted that the other day. I like to have plenty of canned goods as well, but the designed shelf-life is very different. I would like to know how the 100 year old canned food they found at the bottom of the river actually tasted.
Height Supremacist

renovatio
KAC Member
KAC Member

Post by renovatio » Tue Mar 13, 2012 6:32 pm

justang1997 wrote:I have read reports on canned food from the 50's being perfectly safe. Honest scientific science reports from scientists. Google it and you will find plenty of info on it.
Lol. Individual instances do not a guarantee make. If you want to risk botulism over a can of beans, be my guest. I would if I were starving, but not otherwise. Best to stay at least withing a couple years of printed date on cans.

justang1997
KAC Member
KAC Member

1 month food supply

Post by justang1997 » Tue Mar 13, 2012 6:50 pm

Imagine how many cases of MRE you could fit in a 5 gallon bucket if you stripped them out of the outer plastic and took out the accessory packs.

renovatio
KAC Member
KAC Member

Post by renovatio » Tue Mar 13, 2012 7:29 pm

I actually love MREs, always have. But I've never lived on them for months either. Longest deployment when I was in the AF was at Incirlik AB in Turkey, we'd grill steak dinners for army guys coming through in exchange for their issued MREs. Nothing better for camping, but they're way too expensive imo to be a good option for prepping/survival purposes.

BIGC
Has liked: 14 times

Post by BIGC » Tue Mar 13, 2012 7:34 pm

renovatio wrote:
Tyler wrote:
I have two of those in the garage. Can't bring myself to eat them, can't bring myself to throw them away.
its an MRE, I'd eat it...... I like MRE's though.
1 Corinthians 13:13

And now these three remain: faith, hope and love. But the greatest of these is love.

http://stores.ebay.com/Big-Cs-Survival-Store?_rdc=1

BIGC

Post by BIGC » Tue Mar 13, 2012 7:35 pm

Coachf wrote:I ain't eating nothing that old. My palate is refined. :llama:
I've had some c-rations that were packaged before the Vietnam war...

And now these three remain: faith, hope and love. But the greatest of these is love.

renovatio
KAC Member
KAC Member

Post by renovatio » Tue Mar 13, 2012 7:38 pm

BIGC wrote:its an MRE, I'd eat it...... I like MRE's though.
Let's work something out here bigc, I give you MREs I find disgusting and you give me knives and cool paracord stuff? :)

BIGC

Post by BIGC » Tue Mar 13, 2012 7:40 pm

renovatio wrote:
BIGC wrote:its an MRE, I'd eat it...... I like MRE's though.
Let's work something out here bigc, I give you MREs I find disgusting and you give me knives and cool paracord stuff? :)
Ehh that's all right, I have 2 cases of MRE's under the bed.....

Return to “Survival/Bushcraft”