Couple things i saw at Spring Mills State Park Indiana

Like to live in the wilds, or just camp? This is the board for you. All things survival and bushcraft related here.
drifter0069
KAC Member
KAC Member
Has liked: 0
Been liked: 0

Couple things i saw at Spring Mills State Park Indiana

Post by drifter0069 » Sat Jul 27, 2013 11:54 pm

" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Manual wood lathe. Looks very easy to duplicate. Not sure why i haven't thought of this before.........

" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Water powered grain mill. Video of the gear assembly working. Pretty cool. Now i just need to get me a creek.....

fromkentucky

Re: Couple things i saw at Spring Mills State Park Indiana

Post by fromkentucky » Sun Jul 28, 2013 1:59 am

I really the idea of a foot-powered lathe, but I don't like the idea of a reciprocating one. It should keep turning the same direction all the time, like a potter's mill, or this setup:

http://www.wimp.com/footpowered/

I've also seen videos of guys in the Middle East using very simple hand lathes powered by a bow, like a bow drill turned sideways.
"A citizen may not be required to offer a 'good and substantial reason' why he should be permitted to exercise his rights. The right's existence is all the reason he needs."

-U.S. District Judge Benson Everett Legg

drifter0069
KAC Member
KAC Member

Post by drifter0069 » Sun Jul 28, 2013 4:08 am

That is pretty awesome. Much more complicated design, but looks to function a lot better. What are the downfalls to a reciprocating design?

Winner
KAC Member
KAC Member

Post by Winner » Sun Jul 28, 2013 10:55 pm

fromkentucky wrote:I really the idea of a foot-powered lathe, but I don't like the idea of a reciprocating one. It should keep turning the same direction all the time, like a potter's mill, or this setup:

http://www.wimp.com/footpowered/

I've also seen videos of guys in the Middle East using very simple hand lathes powered by a bow, like a bow drill turned sideways.
This guy is talented, and the fast motion video, music and sound effects are COOL.
The lathe is AWESOME !!
And attention NETTO , there are hatchets on the wall in the background. LOL :llama:

fromkentucky

Post by fromkentucky » Mon Jul 29, 2013 10:45 am

drifter0069 wrote:That is pretty awesome. Much more complicated design, but looks to function a lot better. What are the downfalls to a reciprocating design?
May not be that big of a deal, but as I understand it, most of the tools are designed to work one way. Also, I'd rather have a consistent speed than have the material stop, accelerate, stop, accelerate in reverse, etc. When the material moves slowly there isn't as much momentum to help shave off the wood.

It doesn't seem to be hindering him much, though.
"A citizen may not be required to offer a 'good and substantial reason' why he should be permitted to exercise his rights. The right's existence is all the reason he needs."

-U.S. District Judge Benson Everett Legg

Return to “Survival/Bushcraft”