usgi gortex bivy bag?

Like to live in the wilds, or just camp? This is the board for you. All things survival and bushcraft related here.
Dashammer
Has liked: 0
Been liked: 0

usgi gortex bivy bag?

Post by Dashammer » Fri Jul 05, 2013 2:52 pm

Anybody ever use one of them. Any real life experience with them.

Frailer
KAC Member
KAC Member

Re: usgi gortex bivy bag?

Post by Frailer » Fri Jul 05, 2013 3:32 pm

I have used them, and I don't like them, but there are situations where they're better than nothing. What were your specific questions?

son of liberty
KAC Member
KAC Member

Post by son of liberty » Fri Jul 05, 2013 3:55 pm

I have used them a bunch, I like them in a sort of Get home bag. They dont require setup so you can run or hide till long after dark and bed down in the quiet without light , but you are still protected from snow and rain. If im given the option and comfort I would rather build something like a tarp shelter or natural shelter, but the gortex bivy is my RUN RUN RUN HIDE HIDE HIDE RUN RUN RUN option.

justang1997
KAC Member
KAC Member

Post by justang1997 » Fri Jul 05, 2013 4:32 pm

I use mine a whole lot. Its the best part of the gi sleep system. The gi cold weather bag isn't warm enough by itself to justify its weight. The summer weight bag is nice but I prefer a poncho liner over the summer bag. I'd much rather pack my fleece pants and jacket in the gortex bivy and use that as my "sleep system"

Dashammer

Post by Dashammer » Sat Jul 06, 2013 2:50 am

Same things I am thinking guy's. My sleep system for many years was 2 mil-ponchos, setting indian style on one and wearing one. But I am an old mofo now and setting indain style is a bitch. So I am thinking one poncho tarp tent style and one poncho as ground cloth and the bivy bag should be able to at least streach out some for my old bones. I have always hated packing a sleeping bag, they take up to much space and are bulky as hell. How cold can you go with your fleece/bivy system. I am thinking wool watch cap, brown mil-wool sweater, heavy duty long johns, and a pair of them norweigen mil-wool socks as a base layer and if needed a mil-field jacket, shirt and a pair of upland field pants with my gortex TRXs on. Just wondering how cold you could go with a setup like that. Any thoughts.

shelbygoat
KAC Member
KAC Member

Post by shelbygoat » Sat Jul 06, 2013 3:00 am

I have seen temperatures of -10 F over here in Korea during this past winter. I am not using the old-school winter issued stuff, but the current issue. I did use my bivy cover to stay a bit drier because of the snow on the ground. Having read what you described as what you would wear, I would safely say any weather you could encounter in KY and that region, you would be fine. Dressing in many layers helps, the base layer being the most important.

justang1997
KAC Member
KAC Member

Post by justang1997 » Sat Jul 06, 2013 2:31 pm

I have done many single digit temp camp outs to test gear. The key is block the wind and get off the ground. If you can do that then the bivi plus warm sleeping layers works good. I like my head warm so a fleece watch cap and one of those fleece neck pillows for sleeping on an airplane work great. And they pack small.
If you just stretch out on the bare ground with no camp fire or anything I doubt you could go below 40 degrees and be comfortable.

Dashammer

Post by Dashammer » Sun Jul 07, 2013 4:58 am

Yep keeping wind and water off are the key factors.

Geno
KAC Member
KAC Member
Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 17 times

Post by Geno » Sun Jul 14, 2013 7:27 pm

My best advice for these is: read the directions and do not dry them in a heated dryer! Ask me how I know!!!

After the event, I found that seam sealer applied with a steam iron with make it good as new.

"A smart man learns from his mistakes, A wise man will learn from the mistakes of others."
I know not what the future holds, but I know Who holds the future.

Neither Welfare nor political office were intended to be a career path!

fromkentucky

Post by fromkentucky » Thu Aug 01, 2013 1:06 pm

Where's a good place to get one? I'd like to try one out sometime.
"A citizen may not be required to offer a 'good and substantial reason' why he should be permitted to exercise his rights. The right's existence is all the reason he needs."

-U.S. District Judge Benson Everett Legg

justang1997
KAC Member
KAC Member

Post by justang1997 » Thu Aug 01, 2013 1:29 pm

Pawn shops around Knox or Gold Nugget surplus in Radcliff.

Sent from my Q10 using Tapatalk 2

fromkentucky

Post by fromkentucky » Thu Aug 01, 2013 1:41 pm

justang1997 wrote:Pawn shops around Knox or Gold Nugget surplus in Radcliff.

Sent from my Q10 using Tapatalk 2
Sweet, thanks.
"A citizen may not be required to offer a 'good and substantial reason' why he should be permitted to exercise his rights. The right's existence is all the reason he needs."

-U.S. District Judge Benson Everett Legg

Dashammer

Post by Dashammer » Tue Aug 06, 2013 5:19 am

got mine off ebay. $28.00 cheapest I have seen.

Return to “Survival/Bushcraft”