I'm having a really hard time...

Like to live in the wilds, or just camp? This is the board for you. All things survival and bushcraft related here.
fromkentucky
Has liked: 0
Been liked: 0

I'm having a really hard time...

Post by fromkentucky » Mon Jul 01, 2013 9:06 am

Dealing with the fact that I work in an office, after spending weeks learning how to gather materials and build a fire, lash sticks, construct shelter, etc. All I want to do is throw on my pack and take off into the woods like I did as a child.

Also, I've noticed that my thinking has changed. I no longer see trees, flowers, grass, sticks, bushes and vines as "plants" anymore. Now I see tinder, kindling, fuel, spear blanks, thatch and cordage.
8-)

Anybody else?
"A citizen may not be required to offer a 'good and substantial reason' why he should be permitted to exercise his rights. The right's existence is all the reason he needs."

-U.S. District Judge Benson Everett Legg

Kadnine
KAC Member
KAC Member

Re: I'm having a really hard time...

Post by Kadnine » Wed Jul 03, 2013 3:55 am

Ayup.

I'm with ya, brother! I spend my days staring out the window at the woods out back, trying to draw and paint at my work table for a meager living thinking... "Man! wish I had time to be out there right now!" Lucky for me, tho. *I* can can take my breaks out there!

Modern life's a compromise, I guess.. ;)

- K
~~~

"'...what it is to be a bondservant thou knowest full well, but of freedom thou hast never yet made trial, to know whether it be a sweet thing or not. For if ever thou hadst experience thereof, thou wouldest counsel us to fight for it not with spears only but with axes.' Thus the Spartans answered Hydarnes." - Herodotus

~~~

ssracer
KAC Member
KAC Member
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 57 times

Post by ssracer » Wed Jul 03, 2013 9:42 am

At least you have a window

fromkentucky

Post by fromkentucky » Wed Jul 03, 2013 9:57 am

I've been bringing Paracord into the office with me and using animatedknots.com to teach myself various knots (Bowline, Double Fisherman, Hunter's Bend, Prusik, Noose, Alpine Loop, Duncan) which I then practice until I can tie them without looking. Helps stave off the monotony.
"A citizen may not be required to offer a 'good and substantial reason' why he should be permitted to exercise his rights. The right's existence is all the reason he needs."

Kadnine
KAC Member
KAC Member

Post by Kadnine » Wed Jul 03, 2013 9:57 pm

Check out Stormdrane's blog. He's a paracord whisperer!

http://stormdrane.blogspot.com/

- K
~~~

"'...what it is to be a bondservant thou knowest full well, but of freedom thou hast never yet made trial, to know whether it be a sweet thing or not. For if ever thou hadst experience thereof, thou wouldest counsel us to fight for it not with spears only but with axes.' Thus the Spartans answered Hydarnes." - Herodotus

~~~

son of liberty
KAC Member
KAC Member

Post by son of liberty » Wed Jul 03, 2013 10:58 pm

Abandon Suburbia! Get out of the city, get out of subdivided house farms, get back to old family homestead. It seems so crazy to me that so many of you are "Right" minded, guns, hunting, outdoors, yet you dwell in the land of cut lawns, HOA, completely removed from where you belong. I shoot out of my house when the kids are not home, Hunt deer out the back door, cut firewood from my own land, have several outdoor camps, Chickens, can grow a garden that would feed you all, shoo the wild turkey out of the chicken feeder, Shooting is no crazy task, I want to shoot, I shoot , takes 2 minutes to get to the range and thats if I dont have pants and shoes on. The land is cheaper, no one to tell you what you can do it, sure you will drive a bit farther, but would you drive as far to be in the woods?

JustShootIt
Founding Father
Founding Father
Has liked: 3 times

Post by JustShootIt » Wed Jul 03, 2013 11:02 pm

son of liberty wrote:Abandon Suburbia! Get out of the city, get out of subdivided house farms, get back to old family homestead. It seems so crazy to me that so many of you are "Right" minded, guns, hunting, outdoors, yet you dwell in the land of cut lawns, HOA, completely removed from where you belong. I shoot out of my house when the kids are not home, Hunt deer out the back door, cut firewood from my own land, have several outdoor camps, Chickens, can grow a garden that would feed you all, shoo the wild turkey out of the chicken feeder, Shooting is no crazy task, I want to shoot, I shoot , takes 2 minutes to get to the range and thats if I dont have pants and shoes on. The land is cheaper, no one to tell you what you can do it, sure you will drive a bit farther, but would you drive as far to be in the woods?
Agree...

+1

Seriously....make it happen....the rewards are great.

Its really the only thing that keeps me sane....I've never owned a house in the city, but seeing some of the post here makes me appreciate country life much more.....Head out!
"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."(Edmund Burke)

justang1997
KAC Member
KAC Member

Post by justang1997 » Wed Jul 03, 2013 11:12 pm

I'd like to live a little farther out myself. Vine Grove is no sprawling metropolis but I have neighbors. I already spend every bit of 2 hours total driving to work every day. Don't know if I could handle much more drive time.

fromkentucky

Post by fromkentucky » Thu Jul 04, 2013 12:27 am

I live in the Highlands at the moment, which I really enjoy because I have a very active social life. I'm sure that'll change in a few years.

Kadnine
KAC Member
KAC Member

Post by Kadnine » Thu Jul 04, 2013 3:53 am

Hey! LaGrange counts as semi-rural still, right? I mean the neighbors across the wood strip have a gun range setup and everything!

Last year? After I got used to the shot reports? I was out on the back deck when the neighbor across the the street "flagged" me with his pistol! Ducking for cover, I dived down Marine-style, thinking, "He's never done THAT before!"

Then he screwed his "pistol" onto the hose and proceeded to water his front garden. And I thought, "Oh! Yeah. It's just LaGrange." ;)

fromkentucky? You, me and yer brother really should go over there and introduce ourselves. Could save us a BUNCH of cash on summer range fees!

- K
~~~

~~~

son of liberty
KAC Member
KAC Member

Post by son of liberty » Thu Jul 04, 2013 10:20 am

Lagrange dont count as much as it once did, you Louisville types managed to move in and ruin that place as well! You can still find some country down in Westport but it wont be long before Oldham county is a complete loss, we already call it Northern Louisville!

Looking at the guy next door from your deck, pretty much sums it up!

jackalo626
Global Mod
Global Mod
Has liked: 20 times
Been liked: 22 times

Post by jackalo626 » Thu Jul 04, 2013 10:31 am

son of liberty wrote:Lagrange dont count as much as it once did, you Louisville types managed to move in and ruin that place as well! You can still find some country down in Westport but it wont be long before Oldham county is a complete loss, we already call it Northern Louisville!

Racist :llama:

fromkentucky

Post by fromkentucky » Thu Jul 04, 2013 12:00 pm

son of liberty wrote:Lagrange dont count as much as it once did, you Louisville types managed to move in and ruin that place as well! You can still find some country down in Westport but it wont be long before Oldham county is a complete loss, we already call it Northern Louisville!

Lol, my parents live out in LaGrange, but they live back in the woods, so I never had to deal with nosy neighbors. If I'm going to live that close to neighbors, I'd rather just be in the city with more activity. All or nothing for me.

Kadnine
KAC Member
KAC Member

Post by Kadnine » Thu Jul 04, 2013 12:10 pm

Westport had a great restaurant once called The Westport General Store. Guess not enough Northern Lou types fed it enough cash!

I happen to like semi-rural living. You call it "ruined" and I call it "best of both worlds." Get to live in a nice house, get to play in the woods, shoot guns, AND shop Krogers and Wal-Mart! And the neighbor across the street are straight up old school. Never bother anybody. fromkentucky knows what I'm talking about. There's Oldham County types, who feel privileged to live here, then there's "Oldham County Types" who won't even wave you back as you drive by! (You can usually spot them by the neon yellow bike shorts and color coordinated headband.)

:llama:

- K
~~~

~~~

JustShootIt
Founding Father
Founding Father

Post by JustShootIt » Thu Jul 04, 2013 1:09 pm

Kadnine wrote:Westport had a great restaurant once called The Westport General Store. Guess not enough Northern Lou types fed it enough cash!

I happen to like semi-rural living. You call it "ruined" and I call it "best of both worlds." Get to live in a nice house, get to play in the woods, shoot guns, AND shop Krogers and Wal-Mart! And the neighbor across the street are straight up old school. Never bother anybody. fromkentucky knows what I'm talking about. There's Oldham County types, who feel privileged to live here, then there's "Oldham County Types" who won't even wave you back as you drive by! (You can usually spot them by the neon yellow bike shorts and color coordinated headband.)

- K
Just to clarify....I'm not hating on anyone....long as your happy where your at, that's all that matters.

But for those that want a change and want to shoot in their back yards and piss off the porch....quit waiting and do eet, lol
"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."(Edmund Burke)

son of liberty
KAC Member
KAC Member

Post by son of liberty » Thu Jul 04, 2013 1:14 pm

When I moved here many years ago we had a house on 146 out past northland, it was very very nice, now that whole farm is a subdivision. I moved out to henry county and about 5 years later they made there way out there , bikes riding down 146 , real smart! so I moved out here!

I got a walmart, I got a Kroger, im only a few miles from both , but it seems like a long way you Oldham county types.......lol

jackalo626 wrote:

Im not a Racist, I just dont want to live next to them

Niceguy
KAC Member
KAC Member
Has liked: 331 times
Been liked: 92 times

Post by Niceguy » Thu Jul 04, 2013 2:42 pm

Kadnine wrote:Westport had a great restaurant once called The Westport General Store. Guess not enough Northern Lou types fed it enough cash!

- K
I agree to some extent. Oldham Co of my childhood is long gone... When I was in elementary school the entire county only had one traffic light, and a few blinking red lights. LaGrange is crazy now! It's like driving through the Highlands most days, that's nuts... I spent 90+% of my time growing up in Westport. I LOVE that place although it's changing too. The general store was awesome! Big sloppy ass burgers and awesome biscuits and gravy. Always a must have after a long night of underage drinking...haha It was ran by a super nice family. They just didn't have the income to keep it going. They still live just as your coming into Westport. They should have stayed in the old building and not built the new one. I now live in Henry Co and will most likely end up further out as job and money allows. I won't do that until I can afford at least 25 acres. Shooting for more like 100+ though. We will see... I'm mid 30's, not 80 years old if your wondering...haha

Niceguy
KAC Member
KAC Member
Has liked: 331 times
Been liked: 92 times

Post by Niceguy » Thu Jul 04, 2013 2:42 pm

Tapatalk!

Kadnine
KAC Member
KAC Member

Post by Kadnine » Thu Jul 04, 2013 7:57 pm

We moved out to LaGrange and like it. It has definitely... evolved, tho, even over the past 6 years since we came out here. Some of changes have been for the better, others not so much. But on the whole, we've broken even pro vs. con. My grandparents were rural farm folk up in Indiana, and as a kid, I just couldn't handle sleeping without the city noises in the background. But Louisville was TOO loud. LaGrange splits the difference quite nicely for us. I WILL be buying some land to shoot on in the future, and maybe build a shed for that forge I've been wanting to experiment with. But that's a project for the future. I'm saving every penny right now.

- K
~~~

~~~

jackalo626
Global Mod
Global Mod
Has liked: 20 times
Been liked: 22 times

Post by jackalo626 » Thu Jul 04, 2013 10:12 pm

son of liberty wrote:When I moved here many years ago we had a house on 146 out past northland, it was very very nice, now that whole farm is a subdivision. I moved out to henry county and about 5 years later they made there way out there , bikes riding down 146 , real smart! so I moved out here!

I got a walmart, I got a Kroger, im only a few miles from both , but it seems like a long way you Oldham county types.......lol

jackalo626 wrote:
son of liberty wrote:

Im not a Racist, I just dont want to live next to them
Hahahaha

guncrank1
KAC Member
KAC Member
Been liked: 15 times

Post by guncrank1 » Thu Jul 04, 2013 11:04 pm

Born and raised in Fern Creek
Always had neighbors
Lived in city all my life
If suburbs count and have lived in city service district for a year.

Sent Cranky Style from IPhone via Tapatalk
A gun smith
502-231-1118

Harb

Post by Harb » Wed Jul 10, 2013 10:52 pm

My problem is that I'm in a very turbulent phase of life. When not attending school, I'm working a job in the summer, and for that reason alone, I've had to move out of state twice. I can't go meet like-minded people and actually "do" things. I can only read articles on how it is supposed to be done. For example, I want to condition my body to carrying a full combat load and rucksack with my current array of emergency supplies. Can't do that in the middle of the city. This, in turn, hinders my desire to learn land navigation, moving through the bush quietly, reloading ammunition, and other skills, let alone trigger time at the range. I can look forward to another year and a half of this before graduating.

Kadnine
KAC Member
KAC Member

Post by Kadnine » Sun Jul 14, 2013 12:27 pm

School plus work is tough duty in and of itself. ;)

Hang in there, Harb. And anytime you wanna come up North to Oldham, fromkentucky and I would be happy to play in the woods.

- K
~~~

~~~

Frailer
KAC Member
KAC Member

Post by Frailer » Sun Jul 14, 2013 1:45 pm

Harb wrote:My problem is that I'm in a very turbulent phase of life. When not attending school, I'm working a job in the summer, and for that reason alone, I've had to move out of state twice. I can't go meet like-minded people and actually "do" things. I can only read articles on how it is supposed to be done. For example, I want to condition my body to carrying a full combat load and rucksack with my current array of emergency supplies. Can't do that in the middle of the city. This, in turn, hinders my desire to learn land navigation, moving through the bush quietly, reloading ammunition, and other skills, let alone trigger time at the range. I can look forward to another year and a half of this before graduating.

No reason you can't ruck in a city, and there may be an orienteering or geocaching club nearby.

You can reload with low-tech tools (like a Lee Loader) anywhere.

Where there's a will there's a way. The question is: how bad do you want to do it?

Return to “Survival/Bushcraft”