Tents

Like to live in the wilds, or just camp? This is the board for you. All things survival and bushcraft related here.
ChickenLady
KAC Member
KAC Member
Has liked: 0
Been liked: 0

Tents

Post by ChickenLady » Thu Jun 13, 2013 2:13 pm

Ok, Carl has ripped a hole in my current tent. So I am going to replace it but not ditch it since it is a GREAT tent and Lucille will probably love her own tent when she gets bigger. On top of that if we go backpacking we can still take that tent since it only weighs 10lbs. (the hole is in the front, we duct taped it back together and with the rain fly on the tent during rain, no biggy)

So here we go. I'm down to the final decision and was getting ready to buy this tent:

http://www.cabelas.com/product/Camping/ ... t104481180

That one in the 10x10 size.

That was also in the running with:

http://www.backcountryedge.com/marmot-l ... medium=cpc

I just not sure if I want another dome tent. Hell I'm almost 30! OVER THE HILL PEOPLE.

But then I saw this and I'm thinking I am leaning towards this:

Everything reads that it is breathable, weather resistant (besides snow), and it doesn't have the drat center pole like the Lodge one does.

But its canvas.. I've never had a canvas tent. So I ask you guys (ok Netto) which would you get?
Livewire wrote:CL, the most sought after chicken farming insurance agent in kentucky
Livewire wrote:You're cooking has bought you a team of body guards wiling to follow you around at school

richief
Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 1 time

Re: Tents

Post by richief » Thu Jun 13, 2013 3:26 pm

Have you ever seen a hilleberg tent? They are pricey, but one of the best made at any price. I keep looking for a slightly used one, never happens.

ChickenLady
KAC Member
KAC Member

Post by ChickenLady » Thu Jun 13, 2013 3:30 pm

That is so far out of my price range...
Livewire wrote:CL, the most sought after chicken farming insurance agent in kentucky
Livewire wrote:You're cooking has bought you a team of body guards wiling to follow you around at school

ChickenLady
KAC Member
KAC Member

Post by ChickenLady » Thu Jun 13, 2013 3:44 pm

KYgundude
KAC Member
KAC Member
Has liked: 95 times
Been liked: 77 times

Post by KYgundude » Thu Jun 13, 2013 4:16 pm

I just can't say enough good stuff about Eureka brand tents. My Timberline 4 is the best tent I've ever owned. Probably a bit small for your purposes but you'd be doing yourself a disservice if you didn't at lest give Eureka a look.

Sent via Tapatalk on a tiny screened cell phone so piss off if you don't like my typos

BIGC
Has liked: 14 times
Been liked: 3 times

Post by BIGC » Thu Jun 13, 2013 4:34 pm

I can get Eureka, not sure of the sizes and the other brand we discussed yesterday.. Can get pics/specs if you want me too.
1 Corinthians 13:13

And now these three remain: faith, hope and love. But the greatest of these is love.

http://stores.ebay.com/Big-Cs-Survival-Store?_rdc=1

Jakob
KAC Member
KAC Member

Post by Jakob » Thu Jun 13, 2013 4:54 pm

I like the first option, the Outback Lodge.
Livewire wrote:I remember when this was a free country and not a fascist one filled with limp wristed, tender hearted, liver lipped bunch of whiny ass cry babies.

irishrob
KAC Member
KAC Member
Has liked: 77 times
Been liked: 64 times

Post by irishrob » Fri Jun 14, 2013 7:56 am

Here's a cheap tent. Don't know about the quality. Haven't been camping in years

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Ozark-Trail-6 ... gMethod=rr

KYgundude
KAC Member
KAC Member

Post by KYgundude » Fri Jun 14, 2013 10:20 am

irishrob wrote:Here's a cheap tent. Don't know about the quality. Haven't been camping in years

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Ozark-Trail-6 ... gMethod=rr
Walmarts Ozark trail stuff is medium quality. Not to bad and priced well. I think its their own brand.

Sent via Tapatalk on a tiny screened cell phone so piss off if you don't like my typos

ChickenLady
KAC Member
KAC Member

Post by ChickenLady » Fri Jun 14, 2013 10:48 am

I'm looking for high quality. I need 8-10 years of use out of the tent.

I also have 3 cots, 2 dogs, and all our gear that also has to be taken into consideration. We use campsites at parks often, we camp on our farm a whole lot, and every now and again get a wild hair and go rough neck it somewhere. We give no effs about thunderstorms, wind, rain, snow, or whatever else the nature gods can throw at us but our tent has to hold up.

The only issue with the first tent is the guy lines. I can see tripping over those quite often. The reviews do say condensation is an issue in the cold weather but other than that it works. The center pole is also a small concern. SO while the tent looks cool and does fit our specifications I am just apprehensive about the guy lines.

The geodesic dome tent is a tall tent once put together. The more I think about it the more I would be OK with fiberglass poles since I don't forsee sitting in 70mph winds. There are some reviews that say they have the fiberglass poles and they do indeed use it on the tundra and they are fine. My biggest concern is the tent collapsing in on us, but our very first tent was a 12 person monster of fiberglass goodness that held up to quite insane conditions. The only reason is died was because of the fiberglass poles eventually splitting after 5 years of hard evil use. It was one of those 100 dollar models at Dicks before we figured out good tents.

I think i will be buying the Geodesic dome in the 8 person. Cabela's products are well known, their return policy is top notch, and the reviews on teh website and on the internet are positive. With the center height on the tent being 6ft that is large enough to at least stand in to get dressed.

I'm slightly nervous about the canvas tent only because it is an unknown. Also have to re-waterproof it periodically. Which isn't that bad as once every 2 years my tents get seamed again and a good spray with waterproofing.

So there. If anyone has any other insight just let me know.

KYgundude
KAC Member
KAC Member

Post by KYgundude » Fri Jun 14, 2013 11:51 am

No other insight but to swear by Eureka again. My Timberline has gone through torrential downpours with nearly 50MPH winds and never budged an inch and I was perfectly dry even though we ended up in a giant puddle. I'll never buy another brand.

Kadnine
KAC Member
KAC Member

Post by Kadnine » Sat Jun 15, 2013 1:23 am

Me? I camp with Ozark Trail by Walmart, lightweight, easy to hike with, inexpensive to replace (NOT inexpensive to repair tho, so there's yer weight-to-longevity trade off, canvas is easily patched, and *permanently* patched, but it's heavy and MUST be dried out in the sun before stowing away for the next trip to avoid mold issues) and when car camping, I pack two tents. One small for keeping the gear dry, one large for sleeping in relative comfort. In a pinch? Gear goes into the car during a storm, and we huddle in the new smaller sleeping tent!

Also, Ozark specializes in creature comforts like ventilated mesh tops, which have to be covered with a rain fly. And... umm... if you store any food in there, *creatures* won't find that mesh much of a deterrent!

If you want something that will literally last decades, and don't mind the extra weight and maintenance that comes with it, have you considered a "small" surplus military GP canvas tent? Built to last (the ones we used in Iraq dated back to the 80s) they have high ceilings, and will accommodate eight cots, two dogs, and a row of back packs easily!

[youtube]GqpUpxWHh_A[/youtube]

(Not the best video I could find, the fish-eye camera lens makes the poles look bowed, but you at least you can get a sense of the size and heavy-duty construction.)

That said, probably have to say Eureka may offer the best of both worlds... lightweight AND durable. Don't know if you'll be able to hand them down to you grandkids, tho. ;)

- Keith
~~~

"'...what it is to be a bondservant thou knowest full well, but of freedom thou hast never yet made trial, to know whether it be a sweet thing or not. For if ever thou hadst experience thereof, thou wouldest counsel us to fight for it not with spears only but with axes.' Thus the Spartans answered Hydarnes." - Herodotus

~~~

Paula

Post by Paula » Sat Jun 15, 2013 10:02 am

Ky CCDW Instructor
NRA Refuse To Be a Victim Instructor
NRA Pistol Instructor
NRA Shotgun Instructor
Owner Edgewise Knives....

KYgundude
KAC Member
KAC Member

Post by KYgundude » Sat Jun 15, 2013 10:45 am

That's a monster!! Love it but I'm thinking she is looking for a 4-season?

Niceguy
KAC Member
KAC Member
Has liked: 338 times
Been liked: 92 times

Post by Niceguy » Sat Jun 15, 2013 10:48 am

That is awesome! Looks like it should come with indoor plumbing and electric. Maybe central AC...haha

ssracer
KAC Member
KAC Member
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 61 times

Post by ssracer » Sun Jun 16, 2013 2:57 pm

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1371409064.537070.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1371409064.537070.jpg (89.48 KiB) Viewed 2228 times

Niceguy
KAC Member
KAC Member
Has liked: 338 times
Been liked: 92 times

Post by Niceguy » Sun Jun 16, 2013 3:02 pm

That's what I'm talking about! Now that's my kind of camping...hahaha

ChickenLady
KAC Member
KAC Member

Post by ChickenLady » Wed Jun 19, 2013 10:02 pm

I lied. Joe and I settled on a canvas tent. The question is 10x10 or 10x14?

Jakob
KAC Member
KAC Member

Post by Jakob » Wed Jun 19, 2013 10:27 pm

As Lucy gets bigger, you'll want the 10x14.
Livewire wrote:I remember when this was a free country and not a fascist one filled with limp wristed, tender hearted, liver lipped bunch of whiny ass cry babies.

ChickenLady
KAC Member
KAC Member

Post by ChickenLady » Thu Jun 20, 2013 1:18 pm

lol as Lucille gets bigger she will have the option of using our 4 person tent :)

I bought the 10x10

ChickenLady
KAC Member
KAC Member

Post by ChickenLady » Thu Jun 20, 2013 1:19 pm

I drew diagrams this morning lol dork I am. Our cots are 6'x2.5' and we have two. Lucille sleeps in a bag. Then the dogs. This will fit everything.

ChickenLady
KAC Member
KAC Member

Post by ChickenLady » Tue Jun 25, 2013 8:31 am

It came! Here is our new tent!

Of course we had to set it up last night. It is recommended to wet the entire tent first and let dry. The directions say it shrinks the canvas a little and allows all the holes from stitching to close.

This thing has a TON of space inside! I am not worried now about the 10x10, it has enough room for about 4 people to be comfortable in it. Like everyone gets enough room comfy.

You can see, by way of my sexy model, that there is plenty of room around the cot between the two walls. We can fit another cot in an L shape with both cots if we wanted to to leave a huge area open.

It came with a gear loft that attaches to the ceiling to store stuff in, came with two hanging gear bags that attach to the sides of the tent, and each window also has storage under it. It has YKK zippers and the 4 corners are reinforced where the stakes go to prevent seam damage.

The only downfall is this thing STINKS out of the bag. It's better this morning but sweet baby jesus it stunk last night.

Now I'm super excited to go camping!

Wyldman
KAC Member
KAC Member

Post by Wyldman » Tue Jun 25, 2013 8:37 am

LOL! It would appear that Joe can, and will, sleep any time, anywhere, w/o excuse or need!
IN GOD WE TRUST

"That boy's paradigm don't always add up to four nickels...."

Jakob
KAC Member
KAC Member

Post by Jakob » Tue Jun 25, 2013 6:13 pm

I would like to have a canvas tent... I'm going to have to check yours out.

ChickenLady
KAC Member
KAC Member

Post by ChickenLady » Wed Jun 26, 2013 9:49 am

Left the tent up as we are trying to air it uot to get rid of that smell....

Left the windows down in it last night..

Had to get 3 inches of water out of one side of the tent this morning. grrrrr Rolled windows up except 1/4 of the top so it can still air out but if it storms today we will be ok.

Return to “Survival/Bushcraft”