Tents

Like to live in the wilds, or just camp? This is the board for you. All things survival and bushcraft related here.
Vividia
KAC Member
KAC Member
Has liked: 0
Been liked: 1 time

Re: Tents

Post by Vividia » Wed Jun 26, 2013 10:23 am

LOL nothing like testing the new tent in storms. At least you will have a comfort level in its stability out in the wilderness.
Mexican Kerry wrote:Except for Viv. I predict she will be the leader of a group that roams the countryside pillaging for survival.
It is hardly too strong to say that the Constitution was made to guard the people against the dangers of good intentions. There are men in all ages who mean to govern well, but they mean to govern. They promise to be good masters, but they mean to be masters. - Daniel Webster

ChickenLady
KAC Member
KAC Member
Been liked: 0

Post by ChickenLady » Wed Jun 26, 2013 10:30 am

Exactly! Sorta hahahaahahhaha

At least I know it's water tight from the inside!
Livewire wrote:CL, the most sought after chicken farming insurance agent in kentucky
Livewire wrote:You're cooking has bought you a team of body guards wiling to follow you around at school

ChickenLady
KAC Member
KAC Member

Post by ChickenLady » Wed Jun 26, 2013 8:27 pm

So the tent stayed up this morning since it was wet and we couldn't take it down. We left the canopy up because it was wet as well. Weeelll that storm came through and not only is the tent still standing, but it is 100% water free. Its going to have to weather out tonights storms. Im not worried at all.
Livewire wrote:CL, the most sought after chicken farming insurance agent in kentucky
Livewire wrote:You're cooking has bought you a team of body guards wiling to follow you around at school

ChickenLady
KAC Member
KAC Member

Post by ChickenLady » Thu Jun 27, 2013 9:34 am

It weathered out last night fine. The only bad spot was at the seams of the doors. There was a small water spot on the floor from each of these seams. 4 total spots. But with the driving rain last night, I would assume that the wind and rain had to do with that. Nothing to get upset over and nothing to freak out about. I'll buy some seam sealer and go over the door seams, but I'm guessing it came in through the zippers. Other than that waterproof!

KYgundude
KAC Member
KAC Member
Has liked: 95 times
Been liked: 77 times

Post by KYgundude » Thu Jun 27, 2013 9:54 am

JustShootIt wrote:sup IS
Even if it did get through a seam that is acceptable. You are supposed to seam seal even new tents. Also, considering the level of storm last night that little amount of water is still a win.

Sent via Tapatalk on a tiny screened cell phone so piss off if you don't like my typos

ChickenLady
KAC Member
KAC Member

Post by ChickenLady » Thu Jun 27, 2013 9:57 am

That's what I thought. I had a tote sitting out that was empty that I use for chicken feed and it was completely full of water this morning from the storm. That storm dropped some MAJOR water down!

The only thing I can guess is that the wind blew up the flaps over the zippers on the front of the tent and water got in through there. Like I said, they were SMALL spots of water.

I'm going to hit it with some seam sealer, Kodiak recommends Kiwi Sealer so I'll pick some up at Cabela's on Friday or Saturday. But for right out of the box, put up, and leave it to the elements for days on end I would say it's done really well.

KYgundude
KAC Member
KAC Member
Has liked: 95 times
Been liked: 77 times

Post by KYgundude » Thu Jun 27, 2013 10:12 am

Seam sealing sometimes stains the tent. My rain fly has some marks but I don't give a shit if I stay dry.

Sent via Tapatalk on a tiny screened cell phone so piss off if you don't like my typos

ChickenLady
KAC Member
KAC Member

Post by ChickenLady » Mon Jul 01, 2013 8:32 am

Weathered out our first storm in the tent this weekend! Stayed dry and I'm very happy. There is one spot I need to hit with the waterproofing on one door but other than that good to go.

Kodiak even says on their site that sometimes you might need to touch up a few spots out of the box. That's fine by me. The tent itself is solid. Besides the weight of the tent, Canvas is my new bestest camping buddy

ssracer
KAC Member
KAC Member
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 61 times

Post by ssracer » Mon Jul 01, 2013 12:05 pm

My $30 Walmart tent held up well during one hell of a thunderstorm in Missouri

Return to “Survival/Bushcraft”