Why don't you own a S.A.M.E radio?

Like to live in the wilds, or just camp? This is the board for you. All things survival and bushcraft related here.
justang1997
KAC Member
KAC Member
Has liked: 0
Been liked: 0

Re: Why don't you own a S.A.M.E radio?

Post by justang1997 » Thu Jun 27, 2013 5:36 pm

yes as far as i know its test is on tuesday at 6pm. Sometimes I'm home from work and hear it. Another one at lunchtime on Wendsday that I never hear but my kids always tell me about it. It just pops on for the weekly test and shuts off.

KYgundude
KAC Member
KAC Member
Has liked: 95 times
Been liked: 77 times

Post by KYgundude » Thu Jun 27, 2013 5:37 pm

Interesting. I just assumed it worked the same everywhere. Guess I was wrong LOL

justang1997
KAC Member
KAC Member

Post by justang1997 » Thu Jun 27, 2013 5:40 pm

KYgundude wrote:
justang1997 wrote:My girls always tell me when i get home if it went off and if it was a test or a storm. They always turn the tv down and stuff when it comes on. Pretty funny.
Yours actually sounds the alarm for the test? In Louisville it just lights the orange watch light.
So what you are saying is yours just lights up and makes no sound and you can't hear the announcement during tests?

KYgundude
KAC Member
KAC Member

Post by KYgundude » Thu Jun 27, 2013 5:45 pm

justang1997 wrote:
KYgundude wrote:
justang1997 wrote:My girls always tell me when i get home if it went off and if it was a test or a storm. They always turn the tv down and stuff when it comes on. Pretty funny.
Yours actually sounds the alarm for the test? In Louisville it just lights the orange watch light.
So what you are saying is yours just lights up and makes no sound and you can't hear the announcement during tests?

There are two levels of alerts. Watches and Warnings. Watches usually turn on an orange light and put a message on the screen but don't sound the alarm. Warnings sound the warble and activate audio as well as populating the screen and turning on the red light. At least in Eastern Jefferson county, warnings are sent as a watch so no audio alerts.

Remember that the above information applies to Midland base and handheld radios ( I have both ). I honestly don't know what the other brands will do. I just know they all sound the alarm on a warning for sure.

justang1997
KAC Member
KAC Member

Post by justang1997 » Thu Jun 27, 2013 5:48 pm

Oh ok I see. Well mine has a pretty sparce screen. It juts sounds alarm for both I guess

KYgundude
KAC Member
KAC Member

Post by KYgundude » Thu Jun 27, 2013 5:49 pm

justang1997 wrote:Oh ok I see. Well mine has a pretty sparce screen. It juts sounds alarm for both I guess
Not so bad to have your radio side with caution.

Kadnine
KAC Member
KAC Member

Post by Kadnine » Thu Jun 27, 2013 6:35 pm

KYgundude wrote:
Yeah,, mine too lights up for watches , sounds off for weekly tests and warnings only. Then again, I've only had it a couple of months, and we haven't had that bad of weather in LaGrange, lately. Not like Louisville the past coupla days.

- K
~~~

"'...what it is to be a bondservant thou knowest full well, but of freedom thou hast never yet made trial, to know whether it be a sweet thing or not. For if ever thou hadst experience thereof, thou wouldest counsel us to fight for it not with spears only but with axes.' Thus the Spartans answered Hydarnes." - Herodotus

~~~

Return to “Survival/Bushcraft”