what's a good .22 subsonic round?

NFA suppressor discussion goes on here. Silencers, cans, the wonderful things that make it our firearms quiet.
kokopelli
KAC Member
KAC Member
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 17 times

Post by kokopelli » Thu May 31, 2012 12:50 pm

...I've been shooting the Remington subsonics out of my Mosquito and other semi auto .22's with my worthless .22 can, and the ammo has a lot of duds- plus it doesn't want to cycle the action more than half the time on any weapon.

I know CCI and Aguila both make a standard subsonic, plus RWS (?). I haven't seen any of these in stock locally, though, only the remmingtons, so I haven't been able to try out any other brands.

If someone has a good review of another brand, I can order it from the interweb.

thanks!

kokopelli
KAC Member
KAC Member

Re: what's a good .22 subsonic round?

Post by kokopelli » Thu May 31, 2012 12:55 pm

oh- and I see Wolf has a 'match' subsonic .22...

also, does anyone local stock any good subsonics? I've read via google-foo that the CCI subs are good; concurrence?
Thanks, Ron

JustShootIt
Founding Father
Founding Father
Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 0

Post by JustShootIt » Thu May 31, 2012 12:58 pm

I don't have a vast amount of knowledge with suppressors, but I know most sub-sonic ammo wont cycle the action especially with a suppressor on the end.........

I've been shooting some Aguila and really like it, but none of it we've used on my buddys 22 suppressor will cycle the action.........

Last time I shot my friends suppressed p22 we used Aguila 40 grain sub-sonics and it would cycle the action about 1/2 or 3/4 of the time..........
"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."(Edmund Burke)

JustShootIt
Founding Father
Founding Father

Post by JustShootIt » Thu May 31, 2012 1:00 pm

I know they aren't really local for you, but Sporters Express in Etown does stock Aguila and several other sub-sonic rounds.......
"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."(Edmund Burke)

GunningBadger
KAC Member
KAC Member
Has liked: 0

Post by GunningBadger » Thu May 31, 2012 1:05 pm

The best that I've found are cci standard velocity. They will cycle everything I've tried, will stay subsonic out of a 16" barrel and can be found at dicks. They're good all around!

kokopelli
KAC Member
KAC Member

Post by kokopelli » Thu May 31, 2012 1:10 pm

GunningBadger wrote:The best that I've found are cci standard velocity. They will cycle everything I've tried, will stay subsonic out of a 16" barrel and can be found at dicks. They're good all around!
standard velocity CCI's? Are you shooting those out of the 16" barrel with your can?
How quiet are they?
I've tried standard velocity Federal bulk out of my skeeter with the can, and it is definitely not hearing safe, because, as I have said, my Thompson Machine suppressor is a piece of crap that hardly silences at all. :(

GunningBadger
KAC Member
KAC Member

Post by GunningBadger » Thu May 31, 2012 1:13 pm

They're still subsonic in a 16" barrel bolt and semi auto .22lr. They're MUCH quieter than the bulk pack stuff. Advertised velocity is 1050fps but I've never chronoed one. I've never had one go super or even transonic.

Toddinlou
KAC Member
KAC Member

Post by Toddinlou » Thu May 31, 2012 2:00 pm

I've used Remington Subsonic rounds with pretty good luck but I haven't tried them in a rifle. I have some of the Aguila SSS 60 grain subs and I would NOT recommend them based on my results. They are not stabilizing due to the twist rate in my SIG Mosquito. This causes the round to tumble and will cause baffle strikes. That said the go to round if you can't find subs is the CCI standard velocity. Test without your can to make sure you are getting round holes. Quick check to make sure you don't mess up a can that takes time and money to get back.

Mike
KAC Member
KAC Member
Been liked: 5 times

Post by Mike » Thu May 31, 2012 2:22 pm

I have a bunch of the Wolf ordered so one day may be able to tell you about that stuff.

For now I am shooting the bulk federal out of my P22 with a can and it always stays subsonic. Out of my rifle it goes supersonic so it is louder. Most of the subsonic stuff cycles poorly in any semi auto, but the federal bulk cycles every time in the P22 and is still much much quieter than without the can.

I bought a Tactical Innovations Cascade can and am happy with it. Plus it was $119!
:llama:

nemo
KAC Member
KAC Member
Has liked: 38 times
Been liked: 166 times

Post by nemo » Thu May 31, 2012 2:59 pm

Super calibri (sp?) are good.
Oh, how so high they fly........ only further to fall.

-Life

JustShootIt
Founding Father
Founding Father

Post by JustShootIt » Thu May 31, 2012 4:01 pm

Here ya go KoKo!!

http://www.kyclassifieds.com/ad179615.htm

Edit: These are shorts

kokopelli
KAC Member
KAC Member

Post by kokopelli » Thu May 31, 2012 4:38 pm

the CB's are primer-only rounds. They won't cycle any semi auto...

Return to “Suppressors”