Refinishing furniture

Think of the cool gadgets we all love, this would be the place to post about them.
Marcus
Founding Father
Founding Father
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 63 times

Refinishing furniture

Post by Marcus » Mon Oct 27, 2014 11:53 pm

Had a go at refinishing an old bookshelf the last couple weeks. It started out as an old shelf with several coats of paint that had been in my garage for 12 years. My pretty lady wanted a fancy new bookshelf, so I figured I'd try to do one for her myself before spending the money.

To start out, the shelf looked like this.
uploadfromtaptalk1414468365158.jpg
Mandy wrote:I meant Marcus post, he's like ninja slicer, he's nice he's nice he's nice, ....SWISH... he cuts your effin head off ;)

Marcus
Founding Father
Founding Father

Re: Refinishing furniture

Post by Marcus » Mon Oct 27, 2014 11:57 pm

After some sanding and some repairs with wood filler and some online searching about what she liked, I found a local place that sells chalk paint. I bought a few different colors and some wax and got started. This is after one gray base coat with two white coats on top.
uploadfromtaptalk1414468641853.jpg
Mandy wrote:I meant Marcus post, he's like ninja slicer, he's nice he's nice he's nice, ....SWISH... he cuts your effin head off ;)

Marcus
Founding Father
Founding Father

Post by Marcus » Tue Oct 28, 2014 12:01 am

Decided on a distressed look. Something to make it look old and worn, but in the colors she was looking for. So after a big mess and a few hours with some sand paper, I got this.
uploadfromtaptalk1414468875696.jpg

Rem700
KAC Member
KAC Member
Has liked: 113 times
Been liked: 57 times

Post by Rem700 » Tue Oct 28, 2014 12:03 am

Looks good! The wife and I have been refinishing furniture lately. Made some cool stuff for surprisingly cheap.

Marcus
Founding Father
Founding Father

Post by Marcus » Tue Oct 28, 2014 12:05 am

I still need to put on a coat of wax because this type of paint doesn't seal. I'm pretty happy so far and I'll add a finished pic when I get the wax on.

If I had to do it again, I won't add the third coat of paint since I'm pretty sure most of it got sanded off. I also think I'd like to try a cheaper product. The one I used worked well, but was expensive. I have quite a few more projects I'd like to tackle in my "free" time. I'd like to end up with a few product and technique reviews.

Marcus
Founding Father
Founding Father

Post by Marcus » Tue Oct 28, 2014 12:08 am

Rem700 wrote:Looks good! The wife and I have been refinishing furniture lately. Made some cool stuff for surprisingly cheap.
Thanks!

Feel free to post any of your projects in here too.

ssracer
KAC Member
KAC Member
Been liked: 61 times

Post by ssracer » Tue Oct 28, 2014 12:37 am

Nice

JustShootIt
Founding Father
Founding Father
Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 0

Post by JustShootIt » Tue Oct 28, 2014 6:18 am

Looks good...

Our house is full of homemade and semi homemade stuff like this..along with old/repurposed stuff

Good times
"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."(Edmund Burke)

Toddstang
Global Mod
Global Mod
Has liked: 148 times
Been liked: 103 times

Post by Toddstang » Tue Oct 28, 2014 7:37 am

Good job!

nemo
KAC Member
KAC Member
Has liked: 38 times
Been liked: 167 times

Post by nemo » Tue Oct 28, 2014 7:50 am

Looks good to me. Nice job.
Oh, how so high they fly........ only further to fall.

-Life

Dave1965
KAC Member
KAC Member
Has liked: 0
Been liked: 24 times

Post by Dave1965 » Tue Oct 28, 2014 8:55 am

Three of my cousins make a living doing stuff like that. One started a store in Nashville called Southern Honey Workshop, and her sister moved to Nebraska started one and a cousin has one in east TN. They go "picking" for old cheap furniture and use their own line of chalk paint to make it newer. The one in TN also sells it to the show "Nashville" and other Video makers and does pretty good at it.

Marcus
Founding Father
Founding Father

Post by Marcus » Sat Dec 20, 2014 9:52 pm

Thought I might update this since I finally finished the wax on the bookshelf and actually started my next project.

Marcus
Founding Father
Founding Father

Post by Marcus » Sat Dec 20, 2014 9:57 pm

I used Annie Sloan clear wax over the paint. The wax seals the paint. Chalk paint never actually seals, so even after almost 2 months, the surface remained soft enough to rub off if treated roughly. It also wouldn't stand up to any moisture.
I used a regular automotive wax applicator. The special brush that's recommended is like $35. Not an expense I felt was necessary since my shelf didn't have many nooks and crannies to work wax into.

Marcus
Founding Father
Founding Father

Post by Marcus » Sat Dec 20, 2014 10:04 pm

The wax went on really well. It applies much thinner than car wax and is rubbed off in much the same way. After a few hours of drying, the surface is incredibly smooth and hard. Due to the sanding, it had a glass like smoothness. It's actually possible to matte the finish a little bit, but I was happy with the look as it was.
The pics look no different than before the wax, but I may try to get some posted when I can. Suffice it to say I was happy with the result and more importantly so was my girl. I still believe that the same effect can be achieved with cheaper materials. My next project will start with cheap acrylic paint and I'll only use the chalk paint for the top coat and the wax on top. I'll post pics of the new project AFTER Christmas since it's supposed to be a surprise gift.

Return to “Other guy stuff”