Mil-Dot range estimation

Red dots, fixed power, variable, whatever optics you use,post up here.
Dashammer
Has liked: 0
Been liked: 0

Mil-Dot range estimation

Post by Dashammer » Sat Jun 08, 2013 5:35 pm

height (in inches) x 27.77 divided by mils = distance

So do you guys use a standard for height for all targets such as 36" an guestimation of the lenght of let's say the belt buckle to the adams apple or do you use some other form of height estimation.

Next: question- I have my iron's zeroed at 50 yards so that puts me with a 2 inch devation threw 250 yards. So if I zero my scope the same (50yards) will I have to use a different set of math to use mil-dot range estimation or will I still need to zero my scope at 100 yards to use the above math to get the range. ammo is .223/556 cal.

son of liberty
KAC Member
KAC Member

Re: Mil-Dot range estimation

Post by son of liberty » Sat Jun 08, 2013 11:58 pm

I use as many possible known objects as I can, I keep a small book that I write the size of objects in such as door jambs, the size of stairs , so on and so fourth. Given the time ill measure out as many objects as I can and formulate a quality range estimation with as many as possible. The problem when using generic measurements is that the accuracy will only work out to about 500 yards, beyond that with the accuracy of most rifles a slightly off range estimation will put you well off target. That also happens to be the range that most AR based drop scopes seem to work well.

Accuracy of your data is critical, as critical as accuracy of the rifle and the shooter.

Im no expert on this and its currently where the majority of my focus has been for the last year, I have dropped MOA from everything to try and better learn MRad

On your scope you will need to find first where your Mils are accurate, there is much information on this but basics go like this. Fixed power is accurate , FFP is accurate, SFP require you have the scope set to a given power.

You need to get more information on your load, the drop, the velocity, temperature deviation, you need information, it really dose not matter where your rifle is zeroed just so long as you know where it is and have an accurate map of the trajectory to dial the scope. You can dial up or down to suit your needs , also you need to know where each dot is zeroed, this is the fast quick way to come up or down or hold off for the wind.

Dashammer

Post by Dashammer » Sun Jun 09, 2013 3:19 am

SOL like you I am wanting to take my marksmanship out to distance, got the CQB and mid-range 100yds-250yds program down. I agree 500 yds is about max for a M4 16" carbine as far as on the money goes anything past that I am thinking beaten zone area fire program. Your right I need alot of data on my ammo. I am thinking 3x5 lamanated card and a wrist watch calqulator as far as pocket data to start. Me I plan on useing hold over or under and off for wind and is what I think a mil-dot scope is good for. Don't know if I will ever be smart enough to really dope a scope, maybe some day. Was just thinking a standard height would work well for targets 500 and in, like a window, door way, car door and a upper body area 24"x24". I have IMHO a good mil-dot scope and QD mount for the money now so to the range we go.

son of liberty
KAC Member
KAC Member

Post by son of liberty » Sun Jun 09, 2013 12:40 pm

I dont have any real world ranging a man, I do use my target size , I have the measurements for my target size wrote down and have 3.6 inches marked on the target. My at target wind flag in 1 meter high , so I use the known to get the unknown.

Currently I set up my target and pick about 4 or 5 FFPs , then set up at one and do my range card, work my calculation , and take my shot. Then I move to the next position. None of the positions are preplanned really, I dont know how far the target is, if im shooting up hill or down hill, the wind, It makes each shot unknown.

The Drop charts are decent but they are not very accurate to the range im hoping to get, I want to make first shot hits at 1k so I need to really know everything about the round, my ammo box has a thermometer in it to give me the ammo temp as that will change the burn rate of the powder. My kit has a scientific calculator, clinometer, GPS, Topo Maps, Protractor, high power spotting scope, butt stock sand bag, kestral meter, ammo map, and various other charts to graph bullet flight.

Dashammer

Post by Dashammer » Sun Jun 09, 2013 4:25 pm

1 plus K is a long way. I don't think my M4 16" has that much poopoo in it's panties. Your right when you start going that far and beyond there are a ton of variables you have to deal with. Heck rotation of the earth starts to be a factor when you really go long. Sound like your got the math under control. Me unless I spring for a real long gun I am going to start working my 500 and in with glass with the old carbine and get that down. Your right work a range card is a must, I am an Old FSO I still work a range card in my head even if I am setting in the Kroger's parking lot glad that is one of the old habit I still have.

etownguy
KAC Member
KAC Member
Been liked: 5 times

Post by etownguy » Sun Jun 09, 2013 6:25 pm

I would love to find a place that goes out to 500+ inside 300 I would say I have it down, granted I am not doing it with 30mph cross winds or anything. no where around me is open enough AND I have permission to shoot at.

Dashammer

Post by Dashammer » Mon Jun 10, 2013 5:08 am

I am not sure but I think that the Rockcastle Shooting center may have a 500+ range also at the BGSL in Wilmore I know there is a long range that set's right next to their plinking range but I am not sure how long it is maybe 300 or so. Unless you got axcess to Cambell or Knox military ranges if there are really any true 500+ ranges that average Joe could use here in our AO.

etownguy
KAC Member
KAC Member

Post by etownguy » Mon Jun 10, 2013 8:37 am

Rock castle has A 500-1100 yard rifle range but you have to be a member to use it.

etownguy
KAC Member
KAC Member

Post by etownguy » Mon Jun 17, 2013 12:25 pm

ran across this video on youtube.. the guy is a boss with an air rifle and does a very good job explaining the mil dot estimations.

[youtube]9X3SLslalJE[/youtube]

son of liberty
KAC Member
KAC Member

Post by son of liberty » Mon Jun 17, 2013 2:25 pm

This is a simple user guide that dose a great job.

http://www.mil-dot.com/user-guide

Return to “Optics”