Average Joe Innovation: The IO Cover for Aimpoint T1/H1

Red dots, fixed power, variable, whatever optics you use,post up here.
Whootsinator
Little Butthole
Has liked: 0
Been liked: 0

Average Joe Innovation: The IO Cover for Aimpoint T1/H1

Post by Whootsinator » Wed Sep 26, 2012 3:41 pm

An average dude in the shooting community named Joe Chen, a lot like the rest of us only with a little bit more entrepreneurial spirit, saw a problem with using the current Aimpoint T1 and H1. Instead of bitching and moaning about that problem, and this is where the entrepreneurial spirit comes in, he came up with a design to fix it.

Here is Joe's introduction of the product:
Joe Chen wrote:Alright guys, here’s something I’ve been working on for quite a while. I think it’s finally at a point where I can share with folks. Of course, Lightfighter sees it first! I hope that you guys find it useful and not in the clown shoes crapgadget category.

It’s a rubber cover for an Aimpoint Micro that has built in lens caps. The idea came to me while it was pissing rain at an EAG carbine class a few years ago. I ended up covering the optic with my support hand at low ready just to maintain a usable sight picture when on target. I ran into the same situation in Basic last year where I ended up using MRE toilet paper and 100mph tape to make an lens cover for my CCO.

The concept is to act as a functional cover for when the weapon is in use. The current bikini covers are a no-go as they are a slow two-handed operation with no retention. Just like the Micro is in an “always ready” state, the caps should be open and linked together out of the way in most ideal environments.

When the conditions turn nasty and most guys go home, the caps can be twisted apart and the lenses covered with one hand. If the opportunity presents itself, the caps can quickly be swiped open with one hand and the threat serviced. Even though they may flap around a little in the open position, they never move enough to impede the sight picture under recoil or movement or weapon orientation. Once there is a lull in the fight, they can be smashed together with one hand into the stowed position instead of hanging out in the breeze for the duration of the fight.

Joe being the average dude that he is, as opposed to the owner of a firearms accessory manufacturing company, needs to cover start up costs. This is where the shooting community comes in to support one of its own for coming up with a solution to one of its problems. Joe has started a Kickstarter to secure his funding and bring this product to market. If you don't own a T1, you can show your support by, well, buying one anyway, or donating a dollar as a little 'attaboy' gesture.
"I don't retreat; I kick ass in the other direction."

son of liberty
KAC Member
KAC Member

Re: Average Joe Innovation: The IO Cover for Aimpoint T1/H1

Post by son of liberty » Wed Sep 26, 2012 10:08 pm

Its neat , but I like the fact that you can always leave the sight on and leave the lenses uncovered. Its always in a state of ready and the lenses are very easy to wipe off when you need to.

Whootsinator
Little Butthole

Re: Average Joe Innovation: The IO Cover for Aimpoint T1/H1

Post by Whootsinator » Thu Sep 27, 2012 12:15 am

I completely agree with you, and the battery life that enables you to leave the optic on is obviously one selling point (of 'a few') that put Aimpoint optics above their competitors'. That said, this cover is actually not designed as a cover for storage, though it can be used as such. Its intended role is to cover the optic during use (though not while firing) in inclement weather (rain/snow, where water can collect on the rear lens and refract the dot).

Of course, it makes a fine storage cover as well. Additionally, the gross motor movement required to remove the covers (quickly swiping the tabs with the flat of your hand) is easier and faster than the fine motor movement of pressing a small button such as that on an EOtech.... So, if you DID use it as a storage cover, it would not be as quick as leaving the lens cover off, but it would be faster and harder to mess up than turning on an EOtech.

Also not specific design features, but inherent bonuses, are that it allows you to switch the color of your optic without painting it (a minute bonus, but a bonus), and making the already incredibly reliable T1/H1 even more robust with exterior soft armor.

It's not for everyone, but it has its uses and is superior to the currently available bikini cover. If you see its utility, it would be nice to support an average guy innovator inside the shooting community. If it finds success, who knows what is next.
"I don't retreat; I kick ass in the other direction."

Return to “Optics”