EDC/ Vehicle/ Back to Home

Boots, packs, mag pouches, clothes, pens, whatever tactical gear you can think of discuss here.
Roman
Has liked: 0
Been liked: 0

Post by Roman » Sun Dec 01, 2013 10:09 am

A big question i've had is what kind of gear I need. I know alot of guys with full battle rattle kit ready to go for SHTF and then some more lo key lines for civil unrest. I prefer as li key as possible.

Whats a good setup for lo key everyday gear?

Assume its built around you're CCDW with the goal to be to get to transport then to home.

What I have:
- glock 26
- 3 total mags
- polytec light
- pocket knife

Back in car:
- versipak jumbo
- IFAK/ fa gear
- 24 food
- (5) g17 mags
- weather kit
- tools

I figure its much more likely to be inclement weather than unrest.

Thoughts?
I live my life, you live yours

"The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg."
- Thomas Jefferson.

Glock 17
Glock 26
AR-15: PSA 16" no frills.
Remington 870

jackalo626
Global Mod
Global Mod
Has liked: 20 times
Been liked: 22 times

Post by jackalo626 » Sun Dec 01, 2013 10:38 am

Good post and I look forward to the various responses. I have an 80 liter backpack with everything and the kitchen sink included. It is a dark red so doesn't appear tactical for when I go on foot with it. It is packed with everything mainly for a car accident scenario and I have to get somewhere on foot or I am trapped off the side of a mountain and nobody can see me. I will shed what I don't need and carry what I do. It stays packed in the trunk of my car that doesn't open with the lever inside my car and my seats don't fold down so it is the safest it can be concerning breakdown.

Toecutter1978
KAC Member
KAC Member
Been liked: 14 times

Re: EDC/ Vehicle/ Back to Home

Post by Toecutter1978 » Sun Dec 01, 2013 12:00 pm

Jeep- recovery gear, water, food, tools, small spare parts. Extra ammo, first aid, extra clothing, rain gear

Subi- water, food, extra ammo, first aid, extra clothing, rain gear.

ChopperDoc
KAC Member
KAC Member
Been liked: 1 time

Post by ChopperDoc » Sun Dec 01, 2013 12:54 pm

Agreed much more likely for a stay with the car survival than leaving the car. But I have a backpack that is equipped for a 3 day hike if the worst case scenario comes to pass.

Somewhere on this forum is my backpack list, and I am sure it has changed since posting. My pack, with cold weather gear in it now, weighs 49lbs. I am carrying gear for me and my son. My wife's pack weighs 31lbs.
"You rarely rise to the occasion, you usually just sink to your lowest level of training."

Roman

Post by Roman » Sun Dec 01, 2013 3:08 pm

Thanks for the responses. I figure, maybe incorrectly that Lo Key is the way to go. Looking at e aftermath of both Katrina and Sandy it seems sticking out was a bad idea. Ive read horror stories about gun confiscation in Katrina, but have never seen any credible proof that it actually happened. If anyone knows any links, id love to see them.

I did have a buddy who did contracting work during Katrina and he said so much was unreported in the first week, and I imagine that the squeaky wheel got the grease, and usually the wrong grease.

"The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg."
- Thomas Jefferson.

Glock 17
Glock 26
Remington 870

justang1997
KAC Member
KAC Member

Post by justang1997 » Sun Dec 01, 2013 4:30 pm

I keep an empty civilian type book bag in the car that I drive to work (45 miles) and I have 2 milk crates and 1 tool box with supplies that I can fill the bag with and take off on foot. I also keep a cheap case of gas station bottled water. The tool box has tools and breakdown repairs. 1 milk crate is food, and food preping stuff and spare batteries and medical, the other milk crate is change of clothes and weather gear to include some boots. I also keep an umbrella and a camping chair.

If I had to sleep on the 45 mile trip home, I'd get in my sleeping bag and sit in my camp chair and if it were raining or windy I'd pop the umbrella up.

Sent from my Q10 using Tapatalk 2

Toecutter1978
KAC Member
KAC Member
Been liked: 14 times

Post by Toecutter1978 » Mon Dec 02, 2013 8:02 am

Thinking of sticking out, or trying not too. I've built my Jeep to stick out in a way. Originally built as a rock crawler, it is slowly turning into an expedition rig. Not much rock around these parts and mud does not interest me. A crap hits the fan scenario, folks will see that rig as a way out and try to take it. Maybe I should rethink the paint job??

Roman

Post by Roman » Mon Dec 02, 2013 8:57 am

Toecutter1978 wrote:Thinking of sticking out, or trying not too. I've built my Jeep to stick out in a way. Originally built as a rock crawler, it is slowly turning into an expedition rig. Not much rock around these parts and mud does not interest me. A crap hits the fan scenario, folks will see that rig as a way out and try to take it. Maybe I should rethink the paint job??

I am running on the theory that I don't want to draw attention to myself. i'm far from john badass and don't want to confront anyone in a situation like that. I don't think that I want to be the squeaky wheel during a natural disaster style panic.

I remember here back during the ice storm I was the only person on my street with a chainsaw, heavy chains, and a will to move debris. My neighbors pitched in and helped, but being the only guy with the right tools stuck out. I live around alot of affluent, mostly homosexual couples that are very polite. However if during a panic like that, I was the sole source around for food/ equipment, I sure don't want to draw attention.

During the ice storm it was nice to see folks pitch in, but we all knew the power would be back on in a few days and that civilization would continue. Power was off for 5 total, and we (not the city) cleared the debris and trees out of our road. However we knew it would be better sooner rather than later.

- Thomas Jefferson.

Glock 17
Glock 26
Remington 870

justang1997
KAC Member
KAC Member

Post by justang1997 » Mon Dec 02, 2013 10:57 am

Toecutter1978 wrote:Thinking of sticking out, or trying not too. I've built my Jeep to stick out in a way. Originally built as a rock crawler, it is slowly turning into an expedition rig. Not much rock around these parts and mud does not interest me. A crap hits the fan scenario, folks will see that rig as a way out and try to take it. Maybe I should rethink the paint job??
I wouldn't think too much into that. For all you know the shtf scenario could be fuel shortages with rationing and jeeps would be ditched for civics.

Sent from my Q10 using Tapatalk 2

mtchbrian
KAC Member
KAC Member
Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 8 times

Post by mtchbrian » Tue Dec 03, 2013 4:22 pm

build vehicles functionally with a sleeper exterior. let them blend in and not be so attractive
Proud husband, father of 3, Iraqi Freedom Veteran, and Operation New Dawn veteran.

Robert Paulson
KAC Member
KAC Member

Post by Robert Paulson » Tue Dec 03, 2013 9:06 pm

My wife and I keep get home bags in our car/truck. Main use would be stuck car situations. Shtf I would be fine too. Only issue is that the bags look very military but shit they were cheap. With 2 kids under 3 mine formula diapers and wipes. 3 days worth of food and water. Also keep a change I of clothes and boots.

Weapon wise I carry a glock 19 and spare mags. I recently purchased an ar pistol so it might be an oh shit weapon after it proves itself as reliable. We will see how it does. I agree totally that staying low profile is key. In a shtf situation don't be the guy that put his shoot me first outfit on.

Sent from Project mayhem headquarters.

Return to “Tactical Gear”