Mile High Mountaineering ( MHM ) Pack review.

Boots, packs, mag pouches, clothes, pens, whatever tactical gear you can think of discuss here.
Netto
KAC Member
KAC Member
Has liked: 10 times
Been liked: 12 times

Mile High Mountaineering ( MHM ) Pack review.

Post by Netto » Sat May 18, 2013 11:07 am

This is not a tactical pack, but I wasn't sure where to put this review. So mods or FF move if need be. Thanks.

This pack isn't new, so it may look dirty in the pics, and a little worn. But that's okay, because it's still alotta loved... :mrgreen:

Mile High Mountaineering is a newer backpack company out of Denver, Colorado. I believe they've only been in business since 2008 or 2009.

I love this pack. It is one of the most well made packs I have ever owned. And it's made in the USA!

This model that I have is their snow pack; it's called the Powder Keg.

The Powder Keg is a 32 liter, 3lb pack made of waterproof material. It was originally designed for use in cold, harsh, snow and ice environments.

I didn't know this when I purchased it, but it doesn't matter. That pretty much means I have a pack that will take a beating from the weather and keep on going... And it does.

This pack, seriously... Is over made. If that's even possible. They put so much time into the construction and materials, and it shows.

Back when I bought this it was under $150 I think. Now the MSRP is $209.00... And it's worth every penny. Not to mention every pack they make comes with a lifetime warranty.

The owners of this company are pretty young, but they seem to really be serious about producing the highest quality gear. They're really doing it right.

I use this pack for backpacking or camping, obviously... But I also use it everyday. It goes to and from work with me, and anywhere else I might be when I'm out and about.

The pack loaded down. Not completely though, just with what I take with me everyday. -

Rear view of the pack and suspension. -

Notice the way the padding on the inside of the support belt is ventilated. -

Shoulder harness -

On the outside of each side of the support belt, there are storage pockets. -

The support belt is on a hinge system... So it moves with you as you twist and turn or bend. It's very comfortable. -

The top, backside of the pack has a carry handle, and right above it, is the opening for a hydration bladder hose. -

This pack has lots of neat features... One of them is that you can access the main compartment without unzipping the front of the pack. First you unhook this buckle -

Then, the back panel peels down from the velcro that helps to hold it in place along with the buckle. -

Then you simply unzip the compartment access, and viola -

On the inside of that flap itself, is MORE waterproofing, a good size pocket -

On the front of the pack, it has a big, thick piece of rubberized material on it to protect it from punctures, and rips... The straps on this pack are designed to carry mountaineering equipment. So the rubber front is there as an added precaution. -

On the very top of the pack is a small storage area. I keep a large contractor bag in there.

Front compartment unzipped -

Items from the front compartment - Mylar blanket, shemagh, bandana, gloves, paracord, ranger bands, ipod/phone accessories, spare batteries for the light that I carry, and a fire kit. In the kit is a pill bottle with petroleum jelly smeared cotton balls, a lighter, a fresnel lens, and some storm proof matches -

When you unzip the main compartment, there is a big pocket that was designed for snow goggles. It's lined in a soft material to protect the lenses, but I use it for my most used/important stuff. - My wallet, keys, prescription meds, etc...

You can get an idea how big that pocket is -

View into the main compartment -

Attention to detail... That's what I like the most about this piece of gear. For example, the zippers all have a rubber seal on them to help keep out the elements -

Anywhere there is a strap loop/keep, it has a rubber sleeve on it, just like the carry handle. -

All of the zipper pulls have the same rubber sleeve, then an additional coating. -

More cool features - The pack has a bunch of straps for cinching gear, that stow away inside little pockets when not in use, so they don't get in the way and get hung on stuff.

You see here there is a gray tab sticking out. You pull this tab, and it opens the velcro, pulling the strap with it -

This one is the same. Another gray tab. One on each side -

Pull it loose -

And it connects to this, to make a gear loop -

Another over build part of the pack. It's to be used with the above " hidden " Straps, or by itself. It's lined and doubled up on material. It's meant to carry skis... I shove all kinds of stuff in there :mrgreen: This pack can carry just about anything on the outside of it.
There are one of these on each side as well. -

And finally, the complete contents of what I take with me on a daily basis... Minus firearms... -

A complete change of clothes, including two extra pairs of socks, an extra pair of shoes, and extra Galco belly band, a Mora Companion heavy duty MG knife, a first aid kit ( in the camo pouch ) and an empty large freezer bag. ( In case I need to empty my pockets, and whatever else I may be carrying on me ) In the chance I have to cross through water, to keep it all dry. -

Anyway, that's it. Thanks for looking.

mhm website - http://www.mhmgear.com/

richief
Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 1 time

Re: Mile High Mountaineering ( MHM ) Pack review.

Post by richief » Sat May 18, 2013 2:21 pm

Nice, I wish it came in Earth Tone Colors, I'ld get one.

Netto
KAC Member
KAC Member

Post by Netto » Sat May 18, 2013 6:32 pm

Yeah, I think the only other color you can get in this model is black and gray.

Netto
KAC Member
KAC Member

Post by Netto » Sat May 18, 2013 8:17 pm

Netto
KAC Member
KAC Member

Post by Netto » Sat May 18, 2013 8:18 pm

Netto
KAC Member
KAC Member

Post by Netto » Sat May 18, 2013 8:18 pm

Netto
KAC Member
KAC Member

Post by Netto » Sat May 18, 2013 10:08 pm

Netto
KAC Member
KAC Member

Post by Netto » Sun May 19, 2013 11:12 am

Damn, sorry about all the stains and dirt on the pack... Lol

I guess I'm supposed to clean it every once in a while.

:llama:

justang1997
KAC Member
KAC Member
Has liked: 0
Been liked: 0

Post by justang1997 » Mon May 20, 2013 11:17 pm

What kind of ax? Nice pack!

JustShootIt
Founding Father
Founding Father
Has liked: 3 times

Post by JustShootIt » Tue May 21, 2013 12:07 am

Nice review....

Do the zippers get stuck easy due to the rubber?

I seen that pack the other day and it didn't look that big....looks like it has tons of storage...

I may break down and Buy something like this one of these days.....

I would like to have one that was waterproof.....I currently have one I use that is water resistant, but contents still get wet when exposed to decent amount of rain etc....I usually store stuff that I want to keep dry in a baggie etc...but that's kind of a pain at times.
"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."(Edmund Burke)

Netto
KAC Member
KAC Member

Post by Netto » Tue May 21, 2013 3:13 am

Thanks guys.

JSI - the zippers don't get hung up in the rubber seal at all... Damndest thing i've ever seen... Lol

And yep, it's pretty roomy... A lot bigger than it looks. Of course the other day when we were out, it would have looked smaller because i basically took all the clothes, shoes and that kind of stuff out of it.

I left the first aid kit, the knife and survival gear in it. And added 2 liters of water and my Bahco Laplander. So the pack was pretty empty when you saw it.

And i imagine it could still get wet on the inside if it was subjected to enough rain, a massive down pour or whatever. So yeah, it's waterproof, but i still keep that large contractor bag in it at all times. An emergency pack cover would be one of the uses. That bag is so big, i could wear it like a poncho to cover me and the pack at the same time. Those contractor bags are about like paracord - 101 uses.

Fill it full of leaves and you have a mattress, blow it up a little and tie it off and you have a floatation device, it can be used to help waterproof an emergency shelter etc... You could also put the pack and everything else you were carrying at the time inside the bag, including the clothes you had on, and tie it off in the chance you had to actually get in water and either cross or swim or whatever.... Keep everything dry.

Good to have one of those in every pack. But yes, that pack is about as waterproof as you could buy i guess.

Justang - The Axe is a Gransfors Bruks Scandinavian Forest Axe, with an overall length of 25" and a 2lb head.

Netto
KAC Member
KAC Member

Post by Netto » Thu Jan 09, 2014 7:06 pm

New devolopment -

Those cool zippers I was bragging about, have tore up... The zipper into the main compartment has separated and pulled away from where it was sewn to.

The company offers a lifetime warranty, so I contacted them and they told me because I no longer have the receipt that they can't help me. The president of the company told me that he needed the receipt because they are a small company and he needs to be able to see where it was bought and how much I paid for it.

Why?

You either stand by and back your products or you don't, period.

One of the reasons I felt comfortable deciding on that pack ( they are a newer company ) is because of the lifetime warranty.... That evidently is a joke.

Also forgot to mention that, the president of the company offered me a 50% discount on another pack. But at this point in time, I'm not comfortable in investing any of my money into that company when they aren't going to fix a problem with the pack I currently have.
Last edited by Netto on Thu Jan 09, 2014 7:34 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Marcus
Founding Father
Founding Father
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 63 times

Post by Marcus » Thu Jan 09, 2014 7:17 pm

Send them a copy of this thread. Explain that you are a well respected member and product reviewer for a close knit website of ~600 gun and outdoor enthusiasts. Tell them again you bought the pack and was confident in their warranty and that you would love to amend this thread with the good news that they stood by their word an honored their lifetime guarantee. If not, the thread stands and will be seen by anyone that might google seeking information on their pack and specifically their warranty.
Mandy wrote:I meant Marcus post, he's like ninja slicer, he's nice he's nice he's nice, ....SWISH... he cuts your effin head off ;)

GPtuners
KAC Member
KAC Member

Post by GPtuners » Fri Jan 10, 2014 10:54 am

Dude, that sucks. I am currently in the market for a pack, and was actually looking at this one favorably based on your review. I may have to go back to the Deuter I'm checking out. They seem to stand behind their product.

SNL
KAC Member
KAC Member

Post by SNL » Fri Jan 10, 2014 12:36 pm

Man, thanks for the update Netto. Im HUGE on warranties...I wont forget what not to buy when I go pack shopping.

Return to “Tactical Gear”