Chest Rigs

Boots, packs, mag pouches, clothes, pens, whatever tactical gear you can think of discuss here.
dbh
KAC Member
KAC Member
Has liked: 0
Been liked: 0

Chest Rigs

Post by dbh » Wed Feb 20, 2013 7:11 am

John swears by his plate carrier!

[img]http://i1172.photobucket.com/albums/r56 ... 6054_n.jpg[/img]

Bama

Chest Rigs

Post by Bama » Wed Feb 20, 2013 7:39 am

I was kiddin about the KDH, too much saggy side boob for me.

Hey! I'm down like a rodeo clown, Jack!
Kingdom Concealment
Matthew 23:12 - And whosoever shall exalt himself shall be humbled; and whosoever shall humble himself shall be exalted.

ssracer
KAC Member
KAC Member
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 61 times

Chest Rigs

Post by ssracer » Wed Feb 20, 2013 8:05 am

dbh wrote:John swears by his plate carrier!

Looks more like something Jack would wear

Bama

Re: Chest Rigs

Post by Bama » Thu Oct 03, 2013 9:47 pm

Resurrecting this since I am still looking.

I missed out on the SKD PIG UCR about a month ago, yet it is still top of the list.
I am also very interested in the Tactical Tailor MAV 2-piece, but would like to know if the Fight Light MAV 2pc is actually an improvement above the normal MAV. I would also run the x-harness with either as it is highly recommended.
Kingdom Concealment
Matthew 23:12 - And whosoever shall exalt himself shall be humbled; and whosoever shall humble himself shall be exalted.

Toddstang
Global Mod
Global Mod
Has liked: 148 times
Been liked: 103 times

Post by Toddstang » Thu Oct 03, 2013 10:49 pm

ssracer wrote:
dbh wrote:John swears by his plate carrier!

Looks more like something Jack would wear
LMAO!

Whootsinator
Little Butthole

Post by Whootsinator » Thu Oct 03, 2013 11:37 pm

The MAV is simple, affordable, and will do what you want it to do. A bit of front space is wasted because of the buckles, but it will only affect you if you're on the smaller side of 'average size'. I haven't used or handled a Fight Light version, but I have a pack that is made out of I believe the same material. It's a little noisier in the pack, and looks interesting... Whereas regular Cordura nylon is 'soft', this stuff is kind of crinkly. Not terribly so, but you can notice the difference. I'm sure it would be fine in a chest rig.

If it happens to fit like mine fits me you can even wear a hydration carrier on it.
"I don't retreat; I kick ass in the other direction."

Harb

Post by Harb » Fri Oct 04, 2013 2:03 pm

Here's what I go with. You can add the ALICE web belt for further attachment options. 6x AR magazines (Two 2x pouches and two 1x pouches, don't ask why), two grenade pouches (I put a compass in mine). I can run one Pmag and one GI mag in a single pouch.

You can get it for MUCH cheaper than Amazon's price...

" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Bama

Post by Bama » Fri Oct 04, 2013 8:33 pm

Whootsinator wrote:The MAV is simple, affordable, and will do what you want it to do. A bit of front space is wasted because of the buckles, but it will only affect you if you're on the smaller side of 'average size'. I haven't used or handled a Fight Light version, but I have a pack that is made out of I believe the same material. It's a little noisier in the pack, and looks interesting... Whereas regular Cordura nylon is 'soft', this stuff is kind of crinkly. Not terribly so, but you can notice the difference. I'm sure it would be fine in a chest rig.

If it happens to fit like mine fits me you can even wear a hydration carrier on it.

Thanks whoots. What is considered average? I'm 5'11'' and about 150lbs.

I also like long walks on the beach, a wonderful novel to read, and a glass of wine with a candlelit dinner. :llama:
Kingdom Concealment

Whootsinator
Little Butthole

Post by Whootsinator » Fri Oct 04, 2013 11:30 pm

Bama wrote:
Whootsinator wrote:The MAV is simple, affordable, and will do what you want it to do. A bit of front space is wasted because of the buckles, but it will only affect you if you're on the smaller side of 'average size'. I haven't used or handled a Fight Light version, but I have a pack that is made out of I believe the same material. It's a little noisier in the pack, and looks interesting... Whereas regular Cordura nylon is 'soft', this stuff is kind of crinkly. Not terribly so, but you can notice the difference. I'm sure it would be fine in a chest rig.

Thanks whoots. What is considered average? I'm 5'11'' and about 150lbs.

I also like long walks on the beach, a wonderful novel to read, and a glass of wine with a candlelit dinner. :llama:
I'm 5'9"ish, 165lbs. The extra two/three inches in height might make the hydration carrier a no-go or it might be fine. We're what most people call 'skinny fucks' for some reason, and most chest rigs are built for 'big fucks' wearing armor, hahaha.... Regardless, it'll fit. You might find that the two molle panels touch in the back and you may have about a football field of extra webbing to tape up back there, but it'll fit.

Here's my two-piece MAV. You can see that the top of the hydration carrier is clipped (with MALICE clips) to the X-Harness. At the bottom it is clipped to both MOLLE panels, the outermost PALS column being joined to the last MOLLE column on each MOLLE panel.

Here are a few pictures from a few years ago (before I graduated high school, got a respectable haircut, upgraded my gear, got in better shape, and joined the Army) that show what I mean. I was about 155lbs here.

No hydration carrier:

Hydration carrier:

Whootsinator
Little Butthole

Post by Whootsinator » Fri Oct 04, 2013 11:32 pm

Five, by the way...

Woodland MARPAT
Desert MARPAT
M81 Woodland (BDU pattern)
UCP (ACU pattern)
Multicam

Frailer
KAC Member
KAC Member

Post by Frailer » Fri Oct 04, 2013 11:51 pm

Harb wrote:Here's what I go with. You can add the ALICE web belt for further attachment options. 6x AR magazines (Two 2x pouches and two 1x pouches, don't ask why), two grenade pouches (I put a compass in mine). I can run one Pmag and one GI mag in a single pouch.

I'm glad this works for you, but I had to wear one of those from 1999-2004, and I *hated* it with a passion. I longed for my old-school ALICE suspenders.

FWIW, if I felt the need to carry a boatload of magazines I'd probably go with a standalone belt.

Bama

Post by Bama » Sat Oct 05, 2013 10:27 pm

Now I am starting to understand and learn more. Thanks guys!!!
Kingdom Concealment

DDgunslinger

Post by DDgunslinger » Sat Oct 05, 2013 10:37 pm

http://www.skdtac.com/Chest-Rig-s/202.htm
Start here, SKD carries a wide variety of quality rigs. They have some of the best CS in the business and there shipping is second to none.

DDgunslinger

Post by DDgunslinger » Sat Oct 05, 2013 10:40 pm

Definitely Check out the SKD PIG UCR, for the price it's pretty hard to beat.

Bama

Post by Bama » Sat Oct 05, 2013 11:05 pm

DDgunslinger wrote:Definitely Check out the SKD PIG UCR, for the price it's pretty hard to beat.
I WANT the UCR, but it is never available for more than 30 seconds it seems like. By the time I get the email, its gone. That's why I will probably go with the TT MAV
Kingdom Concealment

DDgunslinger

Post by DDgunslinger » Sat Oct 05, 2013 11:09 pm

Bama wrote:
DDgunslinger wrote:Definitely Check out the SKD PIG UCR, for the price it's pretty hard to beat.
I WANT the UCR, but it is never available for more than 30 seconds it seems like. By the time I get the email, its gone. That's why I will probably go with the TT MAV
What's the price range you are looking for?

Bama

Post by Bama » Sat Oct 05, 2013 11:18 pm

Depends on what I get as far as setup, but I would say around $100-150 to start with
Kingdom Concealment

DDgunslinger

Post by DDgunslinger » Sat Oct 05, 2013 11:20 pm

Then the MAV would be a viable option

Bama

Post by Bama » Sat Oct 05, 2013 11:24 pm

I could get that and the x-harness, and a couple of double m4 mag pouches. Then go from there with other pouches
Kingdom Concealment

Tyler
KAC Member
KAC Member
Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 3 times

Post by Tyler » Sat Oct 05, 2013 11:46 pm

It's not a chest rig, but I like mine and they seem to be pretty popular. Very comfortable and secure.
http://www.skdtac.com/HSGI-Sure-Grip-Pa ... sg.510.htm
Height Supremacist

Harb

Post by Harb » Tue Oct 08, 2013 11:15 am

Frailer wrote:
Harb wrote:Here's what I go with. You can add the ALICE web belt for further attachment options. 6x AR magazines (Two 2x pouches and two 1x pouches, don't ask why), two grenade pouches (I put a compass in mine). I can run one Pmag and one GI mag in a single pouch.

I'm glad this works for you, but I had to wear one of those from 1999-2004, and I *hated* it with a passion. I longed for my old-school ALICE suspenders.

FWIW, if I felt the need to carry a boatload of magazines I'd probably go with a standalone belt.
It was an economic choice on my part. I have several sets of belts and suspenders, but the metal clips on some of them aren't sound. I just got a Rigger's belt, so I might incorporate that into the system. Having no experience like our vets, everything's been trial-and-error.

Whootsinator
Little Butthole

Post by Whootsinator » Sun Oct 13, 2013 4:12 pm

http://www.skdtac.com/Mayflower-UW-Ches ... fr.510.htm

This Mayflower chest rig is on sale for today only.

Bama

Post by Bama » Tue Oct 15, 2013 4:08 pm

Just got lucky!!!! One PIG UCR multicam on the way!!!!!! SKD has them in stock.
Kingdom Concealment

DDgunslinger

Post by DDgunslinger » Tue Oct 15, 2013 6:53 pm

Awesome, congrats on the pick up.

Bama

Post by Bama » Sat Oct 19, 2013 8:16 pm

My UCR arrived today, have filled it with AR mags, and a couple of Glock mags. What would ya'll recommend carrying in your rig?
Kingdom Concealment

Return to “Tactical Gear”