The Why NOT for the SERPA holsters

Boots, packs, mag pouches, clothes, pens, whatever tactical gear you can think of discuss here.
son of liberty
KAC Member
KAC Member
Has liked: 0
Been liked: 0

Re: The Why NOT for the SERPA holsters

Post by son of liberty » Tue Jan 07, 2014 6:07 pm

ssracer wrote:
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1389115473.177767.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1389115482.227274.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1389115492.644334.jpg

Thats where my problem starts, With most all handguns and even the AR15, I put my finger on the ejection port not just strait. So when I use the serpa im fighting the desire to plant that finger in its normal location. When drawing for speed I push the button and start pulling but without thought I put my finger where I always put my finger and if the gun has not cleared that little lock tab I jamb the inside of the trigger guard in to it, then I go to push the button and it wont budge because im still pulling , so I have to push the weapon back in and push the button and pull. It all ends up being like some horrible shit from my nightmare where im trying to get my gun out but its stuck in the holster, seriously I have had dreams like that!

But to each his own, I mean run what you like , just make sure there is legitimate thought given to it. if you can rock the Serpa, rock the Serpa. Just make sure it suits you. As to the trainers not allowing them, they dont allow reloads either, hell some dont allow steel cases.

guncrank1
KAC Member
KAC Member
Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 15 times

Post by guncrank1 » Tue Jan 07, 2014 7:29 pm

Never had a SERPA holster , but I thought the retention device was to keep a duty weapon in the holster, until the user drew the weapon.
And not allow the gun to be taken from the user without a reaction.
Not to keep the gun holstered under movement.

DDgunslinger
Been liked: 0

Post by DDgunslinger » Wed Jan 08, 2014 8:19 am

justang1997 wrote:Yeah but your feet don't become hopelessly jammed in your shoes. A gun can become jammed in a serpa even if it's brand new. And I may have to reread what he said but I think he was advocating that the spring be serviceable, not that it should last forever.

Sent from my Q10 using Tapatalk 2
I have never had a Serpa jam and not been able to draw my pistol... Between Deployments, Field Use and Course use....I have used a serpa holster in one fashion or another for about 6-7yrs. I have broken a spring or broke a mounting device here and there, but never had a pistol get jammed up... so take it for what it's worth I guess.

kymarkh
Been liked: 5 times

Post by kymarkh » Wed Jan 08, 2014 9:04 am

Don't have anything against them; just don't feel the need for that much retention at this time.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

Toecutter1978
KAC Member
KAC Member
Been liked: 14 times

Post by Toecutter1978 » Wed Jan 08, 2014 9:59 pm

I run a Serpa on my EDC G23. I like the option for a paddle, it feels more secure than the belt loops, the locking teeth option. I don't plan on dragging myself through the muck to get the the release jammed.

richief
Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 1 time

Post by richief » Thu Jan 09, 2014 12:51 am

I got one made for a g21 and after I allready read al the bad press, so I went through the motions of checking it out.
Gun in backwards = gun locks in / check, but a firm twist outwards on the bores axis will free it
Button stuck = gun locked in / same remedy as above
only weak link is how it fastens to belt, it can be broken off / bladeteck gear can be substituted and much stronger
I'll keep mine cuz it's only one that fits my sar k2 45

Netto
KAC Member
KAC Member
Has liked: 10 times
Been liked: 12 times

Post by Netto » Mon Jan 20, 2014 11:32 am

I like all the serpas I have, and have never had an issue with them.

Return to “Tactical Gear”