Chest Rigs vs Plate Carriers -- GO!

Boots, packs, mag pouches, clothes, pens, whatever tactical gear you can think of discuss here.
GPtuners
KAC Member
KAC Member
Has liked: 0
Been liked: 0

Chest Rigs vs Plate Carriers -- GO!

Post by GPtuners » Fri Dec 20, 2013 10:31 am

One of the things I realized during my RWI course this summer is how quickly a plate carrier (PC) can raise your core temperature. I didn't even have plates in it, but 90+ degrees and a poorly vented PC made me go through water like a fish. I also realized that some people wear PCs without plates. If you don't run plates, why not run a chest rig?

So let's ignore cost for a second, and just focus on the ideal loadout for SHTF.

Weight vs Protection
Mobility vs Protection
High visibility vs less visible

Anything you can think of....

What is the thought behind your current loadout? I'm starting to think that the Fight Light Chest rig is more my speed- I just don't know which scenario we'll end up in, and mobility and saving water (conserving sweat) might be more useful to me.

Thanks,
Carlos

Robert Paulson
KAC Member
KAC Member

Re: Chest Rigs vs Plate Carriers -- GO!

Post by Robert Paulson » Fri Dec 20, 2013 11:27 am

I have run a PC for a year or so at rwi class and most recently i went to a lower profile set up at the last level 3 i did. PC are great with armor in them. Cause if you need it you need it. Hot yes, heavy yes, make you feel like you are semi retareded when you run. But it will STOP A BULLET.

I have also come to the realization that PC can say "hi Shoot me first." So a slimmer lighter option was needed. i run two AR mags on my belt at the 1 to 2 oclock spot my glock right behind them at the 3 or so. Pistol mags on the opp side. I use my cargo pocket at my dump bag. It works great for speed and being lower profile. works great for riding in a car or truck but i sacrifice protection.

My heavy set up is PC with plates, 3 double taco pouches, admin pouch, first aid kit and hydo pouch. on a belt i run a mid rise drop leg 3 pistol mags and a dump bag. I can still run i can still jump out of a car i can still climb over shit but slower. The whole kit with weapon comes in at 30-40 lbs. There is no confusing my reason for wearing it when you see it. I am there to fuck shit up.

If you know your gonna recieve fire if you know shits gonna get stupid gear up accordingly. If you are just trying to loot the hell out of best buy and not look like a target with all your high speed gear on then maybe run slick. Situation dictates always. But i have never run or owned a chest rig i see them as to high profile with no added protection. If a plate carries is to hot for you in the summer think how cool the dirt is you will be covered with. Train how you fight.

justang1997
KAC Member
KAC Member

Post by justang1997 » Fri Dec 20, 2013 12:15 pm

I have done many things over the years and I have come to a slick body armor with most of your gear on your belt. If you need more ammo and gear put it on a vest or chest rig that goes over the armor.
I'm not taking the armor off but I may need to remove my gear to bug out of a flipped over vehicle or something.
If the armor is damaged or more of a liability I don't want all my stuff attached directly to it so that I have to wear it.
One type of armor you don't see often in classes is a helmet. Even a non ballistic helmet has a place and could be more important in some areas. A simple helmet can be the difference between knocked unconscious out of the fight and A OK. Same goes for eye pro.

Sent from my Q10 using Tapatalk 2

Robert Paulson
KAC Member
KAC Member

Post by Robert Paulson » Fri Dec 20, 2013 12:43 pm

GOD I WANT THIS HELMET!!!

justang1997
KAC Member
KAC Member

Post by justang1997 » Fri Dec 20, 2013 12:58 pm

Lol

Sent from my Q10 using Tapatalk 2

jackalo626
Global Mod
Global Mod
Has liked: 20 times
Been liked: 22 times

Post by jackalo626 » Fri Dec 20, 2013 3:35 pm

I only have run chest rigs. I want to be mobile and it is very heavy. If I was in crazy shape I would run armor head to toe or just stay in a tank but that isn't possible. Spend a little time hiking in your chest rigs which feel (light) as some people are referring to it and ounces equal lbs and lbs equal pain. I won't say that having plates is worse because it is not but it isn't for me.

ssracer
KAC Member
KAC Member
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 61 times

Post by ssracer » Fri Dec 20, 2013 5:02 pm

I have run vests, chest rigs and plate carriers. While I'm sure I'll be sweating my nuts off in the plate carrier come summer, I still like it best as it's the most configurable, with plenty of molle all over. I have 6 AR mags, two pistol mags, a multi tool, esee knife and a dump pouch all mounted on mine. I plan on putting a med kit on the back as well.

ChopperDoc
KAC Member
KAC Member
Been liked: 1 time

Post by ChopperDoc » Fri Dec 20, 2013 6:26 pm

ssracer wrote:I have run vests, chest rigs and plate carriers. While I'm sure I'll be sweating my nuts off in the plate carrier come summer, I still like it best as it's the most configurable, with plenty of molle all over. I have 6 AR mags, two pistol mags, a multi tool, esee knife and a dump pouch all mounted on mine. I plan on putting a med kit on the back as well.

if you can leave the back slick(er), it'll be easier for your battle buddy to drag your ass to cover when you are shot.

I drug a 250lb dude 25yards that had all kinds of crap on the back of his battle belt and PC. It sucked. If I was being shot at I might have chosen to use him for cover instead of dragging him the whole way.
"You rarely rise to the occasion, you usually just sink to your lowest level of training."

Return to “Tactical Gear”