NEGATIVE 1911 experiences?

The beautiful creation that god gave us so that we might smite our enemies.
SpookyPistolero
KAC Member
KAC Member
Has liked: 0
Been liked: 0

Post by SpookyPistolero » Mon Mar 19, 2012 5:13 pm

I thought it would be nice to start a thread for people to document first-hand problems with their 1911, listing relevant associated factors (ammo, service life, conditions, etc.). Was your Kimber a jam-o-matic? Was your Colt choking on brass? Let's hear it.

(This isn't a 'bash' thread, just to see what our collective experience looks like.)
You better call Kenny Loggins. Cause you're in the danger zone.

Geno
KAC Member
KAC Member
Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 17 times

Re: NEGATIVE 1911 experiences?

Post by Geno » Mon Mar 19, 2012 5:45 pm

The only 1911's I have had trouble with were both small "officer sized". One was a Colt the other a Springfield. Both had trouble with anything other than hardball. They were about 90% with hardball, changed springs and not much better. Since then I stay with 5" models. I do have a S&W in scandium that is commander sized. I just like it and shoot it occasionally. Most recent is a Springfield Range Officer. So far so good. Well it is full sized after all.
I know not what the future holds, but I know Who holds the future.

Neither Welfare nor political office were intended to be a career path!

ssracer
KAC Member
KAC Member
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 61 times

Post by ssracer » Mon Mar 19, 2012 6:18 pm

Only negative I've had with my RIA was a failure to feed HPs. Switched from ACT mags to Wilsons and the problem went away.

kyswede
KAC Member
KAC Member
Been liked: 2 times

Post by kyswede » Mon Mar 19, 2012 6:47 pm

ssracer wrote:Only negative I've had with my RIA was a failure to feed HPs. Switched from ACT mags to Wilsons and the problem went away.
Which Wilson mag do you use? I need to get some for my RIA.
Cutting grass is the price I gladly pay for not being cold.

ssracer
KAC Member
KAC Member

Post by ssracer » Mon Mar 19, 2012 6:52 pm

47D....they rock

Toddinlou
KAC Member
KAC Member

Post by Toddinlou » Mon Mar 19, 2012 6:56 pm

47D is a good mag for sure. The springs don't seem to last for me but other than that they work well. Kimber TacPro's and ACT/Novac mags work well too

Next
KAC Member
KAC Member
Has liked: 8 times
Been liked: 43 times

Post by Next » Tue Mar 20, 2012 8:07 am

I had a Rock Island Armory that would bite the web of your hand, bigger beaver tail would have fixed it. If I was to buy another RIA I would get the souped up model.

I also had a 4 inch Kimber that if you had to keep the recoil spring fresh or it would jam. Called Kimber and they sent me two springs and told me ever 800 rounds change out the spring. Thought that was a pain.

I still have a Para and Colt 1911 and they are keepers. Great shooters and very dependable.

ssracer
KAC Member
KAC Member

Post by ssracer » Tue Mar 20, 2012 8:14 am

My RIA never bit me, but after 100 rounds the GI grip safety dug into the web of my hand enough that it left a permanent mark. A beaver tail went on before I shot it again.

BlackRifle

Post by BlackRifle » Tue Mar 20, 2012 10:29 am

Ive never met a 1911 that didnt have some sort of drama queen problem. Im not intrested in tuning my guns with $500 bucks of aftermarket parts. Give me a tupperware pistol anyday. That being said a all black gi is a cool gun. Ive owned a couple and the worse one I had was a SA loaded. Only problem was it was so 'loaded' it wouldnt LOAD hollowpoints to save its life!
AR-15 addict.
Spikes is my flavor of choice.

"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing." - Edmund Burke

ChopperDoc
KAC Member
KAC Member
Been liked: 1 time

Post by ChopperDoc » Tue Mar 20, 2012 10:56 am

I have one that has functioned flawlessly from day one with no tuning. I have about 5k rounds through it now. Hollow Points, flat nose, FMJ, it is like the Honey Badger, it don't care.

At the cost of that custom gun I could have had multiple Glocks. Glad I have it, it is a work of art and a fine weapon. Nearly every other 1911 I have owned has had issues (regardless of magazines) with ammo of some sort or another. Mostly HP ammo, but a few did not like anything but 230g, regardless of the shape of the bullet.

I like my 1911's, but as noted by a prominent forum pundit, they can be real Prom Queen's.

Part of this is "fixes" that certain manufacturer's will make in their design. Part of this is just that the gun was designed to fire 230g FMJ. Period.

I have owned (or still do) RIA, AO, Colt, Para, Springer, Sig, Ed Brown, Taurus, Kimber. I expected to have ammo (other than FMJ) issues with the lower end guns. I was really disappointed in the Kimber.
"You rarely rise to the occasion, you usually just sink to your lowest level of training."

Mexican Kerry
KAC Member
KAC Member
Been liked: 12 times

Post by Mexican Kerry » Tue Mar 20, 2012 11:14 pm

I've had a couple problems with mine, but all are minor. Primarily mag related, I've got a box full of mags ranging from WW1 through to new aftermarket. I'm kind of lazy about keeping the bad ones out of the mix. Some need new springs, some need the feed lips reshaped/followers replaced.

Another minor thing is loosening of staked parts (front sights, plunger tubes). Easy to correct, not the end of the world.

I've found that in any of mine, if I am not diligant about cleaning/lubrication, failures occur. Doesn't matter what brand the pistol is.

As far as spring replacement being a pain, I don't really think that's an issue. It takes all of a second or two to pop the old recoil spring out and replace it. Cheap enough that I don't believe it hurts to do more often.

Blackbird
KAC Member
KAC Member

Post by Blackbird » Wed Mar 28, 2012 10:16 pm

My Kimber Tactical Custom II has functioned Flawlessly with all ammo and is a tack driver. Nicest 1911 I have ever had and that includes a Gold Cup and a few other Colts in days gone by.

wash
KAC Member
KAC Member

Post by wash » Wed Mar 28, 2012 10:19 pm

I have a Taurus with thousands of rounds through it. Initially it didn't feet hollow points 100%, but does now. Didn't do anything but shoot it.

GPtuners
KAC Member
KAC Member

Post by GPtuners » Mon Mar 04, 2013 2:21 pm

My Sig 1911 HATES Hornady TAP ammo. At LEAST 1 jam per mag. I attribute it to the shape of the bullet, because any round nose hollowpoints feed well. It swallows Gold Dots like it's going out of style, but slip in a single TAP round in a mixed mag, and chances are that's the one that jams. :)

son of liberty
KAC Member
KAC Member

Post by son of liberty » Mon Mar 04, 2013 2:49 pm

I have NEVER seen a 1911 that did not have an issue or two. I love them I think they are neat and pretty , but ill never carry one, nor will I ever spend more on one then I can get a glock for. Ill gladly shoot your guys 1911s if you will let me , and listen to your comments, like "Wow that's never happened before" and " Oh ya it dose not like that ammo", "Must be a bad magazine". There is a reason that the large bulk of firearms trainers are dead set against the 1911, Rob Pincus still offers his challenge that if anyone can complete his combat focused shooting course with a 1911 he will refund the cost of the class, and your cost of ammo.

Stories of reliable 1911s are the same as ghost stories.

GPtuners
KAC Member
KAC Member

Post by GPtuners » Mon Mar 04, 2013 3:14 pm

Don't get me wrong- I won't fully trust ANY of them other than my HK. When bullets get seated too deep, looks a bit "off", or anything else... it goes to the USPc. I've had too many little issues that have shaken my trust with 1911s.
Now I may have to take Rob's class, just so I can get free training. I think I can make it through a class! :)

Yeah, I don't throw ammo away... this type of stuff goes in the HK:

GPtuners
KAC Member
KAC Member

Post by GPtuners » Mon Mar 04, 2013 3:19 pm

son of liberty wrote:I have NEVER seen a 1911 that did not have an issue or two.
Actually. you're right. I lied. :lol:

I remembered that in my first IDPA competition, that same Sig 1911 jammed once. That's when I quit carrying it.

Wyldman
KAC Member
KAC Member

Post by Wyldman » Mon Mar 04, 2013 3:25 pm

Bad idea, set back bullets can blow up even an HK. The chamber pressures can skyrocket and do very bad things to your very expensive pistol (btw, I also have an HK USP/cT, and love it, dearly).

If you don't want to waste those rounds (and who does, especially at today's prices), get an inertial bullet puller (the kind that looks like a wierd looking hammer) and pull that bullet back out of the case, but not all the way out, it's unnecessary, then use a bullet seating die to reseat them to the proper length and re-taper crimp them. Good as new and ready to safely use in any weapon of the proper caliber and configuration.

Yes, this means you have a set of reloading dies and at least a Lee hand press. If you don't, the way things are, you are doing yourself a grave disservice.
IN GOD WE TRUST

"That boy's paradigm don't always add up to four nickels...."

ChopperDoc
KAC Member
KAC Member
Been liked: 1 time

Post by ChopperDoc » Mon Mar 04, 2013 3:28 pm

Don't know much about Rob's course, but I might just take him up on that. Even it I have an issue should still be some good training.
"You rarely rise to the occasion, you usually just sink to your lowest level of training."

GPtuners
KAC Member
KAC Member

Post by GPtuners » Mon Mar 04, 2013 3:30 pm

Wyldman wrote:Bad idea, set back bullets can blow up even an HK. The chamber pressures can skyrocket and do very bad things to your very expensive pistol (btw, I also have an HK USP/cT, and love it, dearly).
I figured a factory range round can't get any higher than ++P rounds, which they are rated for. Maybe that WASN'T that smart. :D

Wyldman
KAC Member
KAC Member

Post by Wyldman » Mon Mar 04, 2013 3:39 pm

GPtuners wrote:
Wyldman wrote:Bad idea, set back bullets can blow up even an HK. The chamber pressures can skyrocket and do very bad things to your very expensive pistol (btw, I also have an HK USP/cT, and love it, dearly).
I figured a factory range round can't get any higher than ++P rounds, which they are rated for. Maybe that WASN'T that smart. :D
Oh yes, with setback that severe, even WWB can be seriously dangerous. Try it my way, it's easy and will quickly pay for itself, trust me.
IN GOD WE TRUST

"That boy's paradigm don't always add up to four nickels...."

guncrank1
KAC Member
KAC Member
Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 15 times

Post by guncrank1 » Mon Mar 04, 2013 3:45 pm

Never had a Kimber but rework two of them
Not impressed with either
Full of MIM parts
Pro carry beavertail would move side to side
Had to weld it up and refitt.

But then I only see problems from every maker even Glocks

shelbygoat
KAC Member
KAC Member

Post by shelbygoat » Mon Mar 04, 2013 3:49 pm

i dont like em

GPtuners
KAC Member
KAC Member

Post by GPtuners » Mon Mar 04, 2013 4:35 pm

Wyldman wrote:
GPtuners wrote:
Oh yes, with setback that severe, even WWB can be seriously dangerous. Try it my way, it's easy and will quickly pay for itself, trust me.
Deal. I'll pick on up soon!

And I've been looking for a factory threaded barrel for my USPc45. HKParts hasn't had them in in a while.

son of liberty
KAC Member
KAC Member

Post by son of liberty » Mon Mar 04, 2013 4:37 pm

I have seen even glocks fail , though I have seen a few that have never missed a beat. The reality of the whole never a malfunction thing is that for years the 1911 was used as an issue weapon in combat and many people who are alive today did trust there life to that pistol successfully. Its also generally accepted that if you have never had a malfunction you have never really pushed your gun, anything can fail if pushed hard enough.
with that said there is a layer of aggravation when trying to figure out why your 1911 wont function, and after a few failures in a short time I just want to throw it down and get a glock.

Return to “1911s”