What ccdw gun should I buy?

Sig Sauer, Taurus, Hi Point, Bersa, anything but Glock and Xd.
etownguy
KAC Member
KAC Member
Has liked: 0
Been liked: 5 times

Post by etownguy » Thu Oct 25, 2012 1:06 am

I am looking into getting a good pistol for carry. I am not looking into any revolver so they can be ruled out. The very top end of the scale would be a sig p938 so $650ish range.

What do you or have or have used long enough to give a honest opinion.

The XDS is also a very strong competitor but honestly I am afraid I will hate it. I have not shot a .45 on a frame that small and feel like it will not be enjoyable to shoot much.

Kahr cm9 or pm9 all the reviews I have read rate these very high, but I never hear people I know actually owning them?

Sig p938 love the appearance of this gun and it appears to be a very nice shooter with a ligher SA trigger or DA on first shot without this hammer cocked. What concerns me is time and time again I read premium ammo only it doesn't feed 115gr ammo?? Seems like that would suck as all 9mm I have is 115gr including the case of bullets for reloads.

M&P shield sure but doubt I could find one.

I don't think a lc9 lcp or something in that range will be looked at I don't like the long heavy trigger pull issues.

So give me your thoughts and suggestions on anything I should or shouldn't look at.

Eireguy
Has liked: 17 times
Been liked: 1 time

Re: What ccdw gun should I buy?

Post by Eireguy » Thu Oct 25, 2012 1:18 am

I like my Kahr cw9.light,reliable,made for cc.Made to shoot 115 gr..

Eireguy
Has liked: 17 times

Post by Eireguy » Thu Oct 25, 2012 4:16 am

If you have the $ for a sig thats what i'd go with.not sure about the 938 tho.it just came out . I'd wait til they get the bugs worked out.Sti out of Texas has some nice 9's.thats where i'll be getting my next 1911.(everyone will be telling you get a glock/xd/xdm)cz makes good ones as well.you might be able to pick up a used Browning Hi Power in your range.good luck.i know it takes forever to choose and then as soon as you get it you want something else.

Rem700
KAC Member
KAC Member
Has liked: 113 times
Been liked: 57 times

Post by Rem700 » Thu Oct 25, 2012 8:22 am

I just got my XDS over the weekend and took it to the range. I was apprehensive about a .45 that small but after running about 60 rounds it I love it. It's got a little bite to it compared to a 9mm. But it is in no way unmanageable. I can easily conceal it on my person and it will be my carry once my license comes in. I would be happy to let you try it out if u wanna meet at tg and g sometime here in Louisville.

Marcus
Founding Father
Founding Father
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 63 times

Post by Marcus » Thu Oct 25, 2012 8:26 am

Glock 26.
Mandy wrote:I meant Marcus post, he's like ninja slicer, he's nice he's nice he's nice, ....SWISH... he cuts your effin head off ;)

Niceguy
KAC Member
KAC Member
Has liked: 337 times
Been liked: 92 times

Post by Niceguy » Thu Oct 25, 2012 8:30 am

Any of the M&P compacts.

Dave1965
KAC Member
KAC Member
Been liked: 24 times

Post by Dave1965 » Thu Oct 25, 2012 8:32 am

Rem700 wrote:I just got my XDS over the weekend and took it to the range. I was apprehensive about a .45 that small but after running about 60 rounds it I love it. It's got a little bite to it compared to a 9mm. But it is in no way unmanageable. I can easily conceal it on my person and it will be my carry once my license comes in. I would be happy to let you try it out if u wanna meet at tg and g sometime here in Louisville.
I concur, like mine a lot as well. I would say that you should go to buds and ask to handle the ones there, spend $10 and rent one you like and try it out. Then spend another $10 and try another one if you don't like the first or want to compare, you can do that all in one session. Either that or meet someone at NH to shoot something they may have and see if you like it.

jackalo626
Global Mod
Global Mod
Has liked: 20 times
Been liked: 22 times

Post by jackalo626 » Thu Oct 25, 2012 12:23 pm

26/27. Takes all Glock mags of same caliber for carrying backup ammo. Built tough and dependable with many holster options.

Toddinlou
KAC Member
KAC Member
Been liked: 0

Post by Toddinlou » Thu Oct 25, 2012 12:45 pm

I really like the Glock 27 for all of the reasons spelled out above. The two finger grip takes some practice. I would rent one a few times before buying to decide between the 23 and 27

jackalo626
Global Mod
Global Mod

Post by jackalo626 » Thu Oct 25, 2012 1:43 pm

I carry 27 but have both.

dbh
KAC Member
KAC Member

Post by dbh » Thu Oct 25, 2012 2:10 pm

I have both a 23 & 27 if anyone wants to try them.

I looked for a smaller, lighter gun to carry in warmer weather.

I bought a LCP....took it to the range....sold it! Didn't like the sights or the trigger pull.
I bought a Kahr CM-9....took it to the range....sold it! Didn't like the weight, trigger pull or the popsickle sights.
I bought a Kel-Tec PF9. Not the best, but better than the other 2.
I bought a Sig P938. Great full size Sig night sights and decent trigger pull. Far less recoil than I expected. Decent grouping on my shots.

I would be comfortable shooting at a large target with the Kel-Tec. I would be comfortable shooting at parts of a person (errr....I mean target) exposed (ie: hostage situation or peeking out behind cover) with my Sig.

HTH

Vividia
KAC Member
KAC Member

Post by Vividia » Thu Oct 25, 2012 5:11 pm

I have the Kahr PM9 and like it. I don't object to the trigger pull, but I shoot double action revolvers all the time so it's no biggie to shoot this one. I don't expect a 1911 trigger pull from it. Carry 115gr critical defense in it.

I also carry a S&W 442. Very light and also conceals well. Love it a lot. The aluminum frame makes it pop a little in the hand with a +p load, but not so's you can't get the 2nd shot back on target easily. I *think* the critical defense is around 130gr but can't remember for sure been awhile since I looked at the ammo box.

Few months back I bought a S&W E Series 1911SC. Seriously like this gun. Commander size, light scandium frame and bobtail make it a winter carry option under a jacket. Very sweet shooter. Have 230gr federal hydrashoks for this one.
Mexican Kerry wrote:Except for Viv. I predict she will be the leader of a group that roams the countryside pillaging for survival.
It is hardly too strong to say that the Constitution was made to guard the people against the dangers of good intentions. There are men in all ages who mean to govern well, but they mean to govern. They promise to be good masters, but they mean to be masters. - Daniel Webster

etownguy
KAC Member
KAC Member

Post by etownguy » Thu Oct 25, 2012 6:33 pm

Went to the store today held most of the ones I am looking at except the XDS they did not have one. I really liked everything about the sig more. They have a kahr k40 used for 500 but the thing weighs nearly 2 pounds so screw that.

Oh yeah forgot I really am not a glock fan. No particular reason just not giving them a chance

Wyldman
KAC Member
KAC Member

Post by Wyldman » Thu Oct 25, 2012 7:05 pm

Don't rule anything out until you can hold it in your hand, and if possible, shoot it. Just ruling Glocks out because they aren't sexy enough is a dumb reason. Find what fits your hand and you can shoot with accuracy and go with it.

BTW, my main carry pistol for the last 15 years has been my 10 shot Glock 30 in .45 ACP. I keep trying others, but I keep going back to my old reliable, kick 'em in the nuts and win the fight G30. I got it the year they came out, put a 3.5lb trigger in it, and shot the shit out of it to make certain it was reliable with as many different kinds of ammo I could lay my hands on.

It has never failed me, and I suspect that as long as I take care of it, it will reciprocate.

My experience, FWIW, YMMV.
IN GOD WE TRUST

"That boy's paradigm don't always add up to four nickels...."

325MOUTguru
Location: Currently conducting operations in Chuck Norris' nightmares.

Post by 325MOUTguru » Thu Oct 25, 2012 7:43 pm

Get what works for you.
Try many out until you find what fits you best.

BTW the correct answer is Glock 19.

Toddstang
Global Mod
Global Mod
Has liked: 148 times
Been liked: 103 times

Post by Toddstang » Thu Oct 25, 2012 7:49 pm

niceguyr6 wrote:Any of the M&P compacts.
This

Out of all the handguns I ever owned, the M&P is my personal favorite carry gun.

etownguy
KAC Member
KAC Member

Post by etownguy » Thu Oct 25, 2012 8:18 pm

Had a m&p9c for awhile. It was a decent shooting gun.

GeminiXD9
KAC Member
KAC Member
Been liked: 2 times

Post by GeminiXD9 » Thu Oct 25, 2012 8:29 pm

Like everybody has been saying. Handle a lot of different possibilities. Shoot as many of em as u can and go with what is most comfortable,reliable and accurate for YOU. I am not a big glock fan either but I did shoot a few of em and others before I decided on my xd. Most popular are glocks, xd/xdm, and m&p. but go with what you are good with. If u shoot a glock and you are more accurate with that than an other and it's just a tad bit more uncomfortable than gun a or b. I'd go with a glock. N that applies to any of the brands. After shooting several brands I decided on xd cuz I was more accurate with it than the others but an m&p was more comfortable
"That's how we do. We keep it light til it's time to get dark. Then we get pitch black."

etownguy
KAC Member
KAC Member

Post by etownguy » Thu Oct 25, 2012 11:57 pm

I guess I should explain glocks in my eyes.. I have shot exactly one Glock it was a friends and was NOT taken care of I could not shoot within a foot of my target from <10 yards away. I wouldn't mind trying again with a good one and much more experience under my belt. it is just one of those well this one was crap why try it again type deals. Also I have not held a "baby" glock but I dont know that I would consider it a pocketable gun.

I LOVE my XDM 5.25 it far out shoots my abilities at 25 yards on a good day I can hit a 3" steel target 15 out of 16 shots. it feels excellent holding it and in probably 1,000+ rounds has not messed up EVER you can limp wrist the shit out of it and it keeps going. I've even bump fired it and it flew through a 16 round mag like a full auto gun.

Dad's XDM9 3.8 is about the same story as above probably not AS accurate but it will hold its own without issue. and I have carried it a couple of times.

The S&W M&P9c was also a good gun accuracy was on point but you have to have a firm grasp on it. I never had an issue but my wife at first limp wristed really bad and it would jam up every shot. I did IWB carry this for awhile.

both of the compacts above are great guns but I want something smaller so it can be pocket carried if I have my shirt tucked in or just all the time.

GeminiXD9
KAC Member
KAC Member
Been liked: 2 times

Post by GeminiXD9 » Fri Oct 26, 2012 12:12 am

If your comfortable with the xd platform then maybe the xd9 subcompact or the xdS. Both are fairly easy to conceal. Of course the xdS is more along the lines of the xdm series. I plan on pickin up a xdsc in the next few weeks. If you are looking at smaller than the m&p or xd compacts may have to look at the keltec or ruger n the like. Taurus slim 9 is pretty small as well.
"That's how we do. We keep it light til it's time to get dark. Then we get pitch black."

etownguy
KAC Member
KAC Member

Post by etownguy » Fri Oct 26, 2012 11:55 am

After much talking to a friend and glock fiend and all the chatter in here I think I may have to give glock a chance. The 26 seems more available than the 27 and I am fine with 9mm and I like that if I want I can slap a 33 round mag in it for fun.

jackalo626
Global Mod
Global Mod

Post by jackalo626 » Fri Oct 26, 2012 6:02 pm

etownguy wrote:After much talking to a friend and glock fiend and all the chatter in here I think I may have to give glock a chance. The 26 seems more available than the 27 and I am fine with 9mm and I like that if I want I can slap a 33 round mag in it for fun.
If you are ever at the range with me feel free to shoot any of my Glocks.

etownguy
KAC Member
KAC Member

Post by etownguy » Sat Oct 27, 2012 9:55 am

On the way to keenes to look at a 26

NickPT709

Post by NickPT709 » Sun Mar 24, 2013 3:16 pm

I gotta recommend the Taurus slim series. They offer it in a 9mm and and 40 cal and it is very comfy and easy to conceal.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

son of liberty
KAC Member
KAC Member

Post by son of liberty » Sun Mar 24, 2013 3:28 pm

GLOCK

Its that easy yet people make it so hard

Return to “Semi-auto Handguns”