New Hauler!

Got a badass ride, post it up. Cars, trucks, bikes, trikes, whatever rolls or flies.
Mexican Kerry
KAC Member
KAC Member
Has liked: 0
Been liked: 12 times

Re: New Hauler!

Post by Mexican Kerry » Tue Feb 13, 2018 8:22 pm

rustynuts wrote:Leave it to MK to.never take the easy way out.
You know how hard it is to find a short bed dentside? A long wheelbase would be cool if it would only be cruising on flat ground but losing 16" should make a difference in rougher terrain. Plus this one's already paid for haha.

Mexican Kerry
KAC Member
KAC Member

Post by Mexican Kerry » Tue Feb 13, 2018 8:26 pm

Niceguy wrote:Do you ever finish any of your automotive projects? haha One of my best friends is like this, drives me nuts! Starts something very cool, gets it nearly to the good part, then starts another one...haha
Yup, I finished the Marauder. And the Chevy isn't finished but its a driver/project.

Drives my wife nuts too, she doesn't understand it. The way I am, I like the option of working on something until I get tired of it, then move onto another for a bit. I always come back around to the first one, but its nice to take a break. It allows me to not stress about things if they aren't going well, and I usually come back to it with a solution.

Niceguy
KAC Member
KAC Member
Has liked: 328 times
Been liked: 91 times

Post by Niceguy » Tue Feb 13, 2018 8:35 pm

Not judging, I was just curious...haha I am polar opposite as that. It would drive me nuts. Me and my buddy that's like you have been like brothers since the 6th grade. We'll help each other on projects, but know to not take on full projects together...haha

Mexican Kerry
KAC Member
KAC Member

Post by Mexican Kerry » Tue Feb 13, 2018 9:31 pm

Well I have a buddy with a 49 Ford that he's had since he was a kid and the only work that's been done to it is what I've done (so its got a long way to go). He's my co-driver on this project and donated his 74 F150 to the cause for parts. But we both have kids and not much free time. That's why I'm giving myself til 2020 to get this one done.

Mexican Kerry
KAC Member
KAC Member

Post by Mexican Kerry » Wed Feb 14, 2018 10:44 pm

Started putting the box back together today, cleaning up the front panel took most of my day. Hoping to finish it tomorrow, then move onto cutting the frame. Was struggling with the welder today, lots of shitty tacks.

Marcus
Founding Father
Founding Father
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 61 times

Post by Marcus » Wed Feb 14, 2018 11:18 pm

I'm impressed
Mandy wrote:I meant Marcus post, he's like ninja slicer, he's nice he's nice he's nice, ....SWISH... he cuts your effin head off ;)

rustynuts
KAC Member
KAC Member
Has liked: 46 times
Been liked: 78 times

Post by rustynuts » Thu Feb 15, 2018 12:20 am

Definitely!!

Jonwoos
KAC Member
KAC Member
Has liked: 45 times
Been liked: 6 times

Post by Jonwoos » Thu Feb 15, 2018 4:24 am

Nice work!

I don’t think Ford ever made short bed regular cab F250’s and up.

Nope, I forgot somewhere around 78-79, they made a f250 rcsb 4x4 with coil sprung frontend trucks. Pretty rare trucks

Mexican Kerry
KAC Member
KAC Member

Post by Mexican Kerry » Sat Feb 17, 2018 12:40 am

Got my new tires today, a little wide for the rims but I'll source out some new ones. In the meantime I can roll it around and do my fender/suspension work.

Then I cut my frame. I had to pinch/spread the rails 1.5" due to the taper and the 16" I was shortening it. I could have pulled the cab off, put the frame on my welding table, etc. But I wanted it done today, so I just hacked it off. I had thought about stepping my cut to give more area to re-weld, but that would have taken waaaaaay longer.

Two floor jacks and a couple minutes later:

I left the front section long and trimmed the top and bottom off so it would fit inside the rear when I slid it forward. Hacky, yes. But I'm hoping its better than a simple butt joint welded together. I'll fish plate it and maybe run some bolts through for insurance.

Shortened up and welded back together now. Not finished, I wanted to make sure everything was straight before getting too carried away.

I threw the box back on to see if I got it right. Nope. A little off as you can see from the way the beltline isn't straight. Its a little bit of my setup being off, and a little distortion in my camera. Its not as bad as it looks.

I'll adjust it before I finish weld things.

A few more pics:

rustynuts
KAC Member
KAC Member

Post by rustynuts » Sat Feb 17, 2018 12:56 am

That's going to look great MK!

Gunsmokin
KAC Member
KAC Member
Been liked: 20 times

Post by Gunsmokin » Sat Feb 17, 2018 8:34 am

Gonna be very cool! I like it a lot!
jackalo626 wrote:Skibble dee dibbledy

Toecutter1978
KAC Member
KAC Member
Been liked: 14 times

Post by Toecutter1978 » Sat Feb 17, 2018 8:44 am

So tits up

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

Mexican Kerry
KAC Member
KAC Member

Post by Mexican Kerry » Sat Feb 17, 2018 8:59 am

I've been thinking about my cage. I'm thinking cab cage fully welded in, and bed section that bolts to mounts both at the frame and to the back of the cab (to tie the two together). Then engine bay cage bolts to cab cage in similar fashion. Bed and engine cage would be removable.

Niceguy
KAC Member
KAC Member
Has liked: 328 times
Been liked: 91 times

Post by Niceguy » Sat Feb 17, 2018 1:07 pm

I dig it!

jackalo626
Global Mod
Global Mod
Has liked: 20 times
Been liked: 22 times

Post by jackalo626 » Sat Feb 17, 2018 2:14 pm

Niceguy wrote:I dig it!
I wanted it low and long but like he said, if it was for flat ground that would be ok. This will still be cool regardless in its own right.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Mexican Kerry
KAC Member
KAC Member

Post by Mexican Kerry » Sun Mar 04, 2018 1:39 am

Got my frame adjusted and box back on for a test fit again. Been away for work for 10 days so no progress to report.

Before:

After:

Also an interesting development for me: I had been digging around on a desert racing forum looking for info and I was approached by a guy that I've been following for a while. He has a 78 Ford stepside he races (previously owned by Ivan Stewart) and I was using it for inspiration on my build. Anyway, I spent about an hour on the phone with him today, pretty cool guy, very helpful, and a multiple Baja 1000 winner. At the end of our conversation he told me to call him anytime if I need help or have questions, and he said when he's down for this year's race (April), he's going to talk to some of his sponsors and connections in the biz on my behalf. Don't know if anything will come of it but I thought it was damn cool that he's doing it!

I also had an offer from another racer to come and fill an empty spot on their support crew for this year's race but had to decline. I can't go on that short notice.

Going to see about a tubing bender tomorrow, and with the next week off work I'm going to try hitting some suppliers up for sponsorship. Can't hurt to try, worst they can say is no.

Marcus
Founding Father
Founding Father
Been liked: 61 times

Post by Marcus » Sun Mar 04, 2018 6:44 am

Mexican Kerry wrote:Got my frame adjusted and box back on for a test fit again. Been away for work for 10 days so no progress to report.

Before:

After:

Also an interesting development for me: I had been digging around on a desert racing forum looking for info and I was approached by a guy that I've been following for a while. He has a 78 Ford stepside he races (previously owned by Ivan Stewart) and I was using it for inspiration on my build. Anyway, I spent about an hour on the phone with him today, pretty cool guy, very helpful, and a multiple Baja 1000 winner. At the end of our conversation he told me to call him anytime if I need help or have questions, and he said when he's down for this year's race (April), he's going to talk to some of his sponsors and connections in the biz on my behalf. Don't know if anything will come of it but I thought it was damn cool that he's doing it!

I also had an offer from another racer to come and fill an empty spot on their support crew for this year's race but had to decline. I can't go on that short notice.

Going to see about a tubing bender tomorrow, and with the next week off work I'm going to try hitting some suppliers up for sponsorship. Can't hurt to try, worst they can say is no.
Very cool mk.

This is like the movie cool runnings but its a Canadian headed to a race in the desert. I dig it!
Mandy wrote:I meant Marcus post, he's like ninja slicer, he's nice he's nice he's nice, ....SWISH... he cuts your effin head off ;)

Gunsmokin
KAC Member
KAC Member
Been liked: 20 times

Post by Gunsmokin » Sun Mar 04, 2018 8:30 am

Good luck with getting some help from some sponsors! Maybe the KAC crew can kick in a few bucks to help and get a sticker on the truck?!? I’d be in for a little bit!
jackalo626 wrote:Skibble dee dibbledy

rustynuts
KAC Member
KAC Member

Post by rustynuts » Sun Mar 04, 2018 11:32 am

Gunsmokin wrote:Good luck with getting some help from some sponsors! Maybe the KAC crew can kick in a few bucks to help and get a sticker on the truck?!? I’d be in for a little bit!
Sounds like a plan.

Mexican Kerry
KAC Member
KAC Member

Post by Mexican Kerry » Sun Mar 04, 2018 11:35 am

Haha that would be awesome. Roof-size KAC sticker?

PDM
KAC Member
KAC Member
Has liked: 87 times
Been liked: 44 times

Post by PDM » Sun Mar 04, 2018 12:44 pm

Cool MK! Good luck
"The unlimited power of the sword is not in the hands of either the federal or the state governments, but, where I trust in God it will ever remain, in the hands of the people."
Tench Coxe

Mexican Kerry
KAC Member
KAC Member

Post by Mexican Kerry » Tue Mar 06, 2018 9:13 pm

Well not much progress to report. Ordered a new set of wider wheels, and trying to decide what fuel cell and seats to go with. I need them before I get too carried away on the cage.

I finished gutting the cab, pulling the dash was a pain in the ass. After the cage goes back in I want to notch the factory dash and re-install it. Replace the gauges with better, etc. Some stuff to remove yet but I want to keep the wiring intact for now cause I'm no good at wiring.
Clean slate now, just need my tubing to get here......

I have two sponsors now. One is a supplier we use at work, he said he's in just waiting to hear back from him on what he's going to do. And my brother said he'll paint the truck for me.

ssracer
KAC Member
KAC Member
Been liked: 55 times

Post by ssracer » Tue Mar 06, 2018 9:22 pm

Hey MK...were you in KY this weekend? Lol
IMG_3377.JPG

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Jonwoos
KAC Member
KAC Member
Has liked: 45 times
Been liked: 6 times

Post by Jonwoos » Tue Mar 06, 2018 9:35 pm

Awesome build MK!!!

Mexican Kerry
KAC Member
KAC Member

Post by Mexican Kerry » Wed Mar 21, 2018 11:07 pm

ssracer wrote:Hey MK...were you in KY this weekend? Lol
IMG_3377.JPG

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
No, I wish! You should know better, I've posted pics of my beater enough.....

Return to “Vehicles”