Probably the best vehicle ever made!

Got a badass ride, post it up. Cars, trucks, bikes, trikes, whatever rolls or flies.
Mexican Kerry
KAC Member
KAC Member
Has liked: 0
Been liked: 12 times

Probably the best vehicle ever made!

Post by Mexican Kerry » Wed Nov 08, 2017 1:09 am

I dropped a g note on this piece of shit a couple weeks ago because my daughter is learning to drive, and my son treats vehicles like a red-headed stepchild.

98 Toyota Tercel. 1.5 litre, 5 speed manual, manual everything. Its whored out, high miles, and hopefully it will take him down a notch. Doesn't even have a clock in it.

My son has learned nothing from me, and has zero sense of responsibility/pride of ownership. I bought what I thought was a fucking kick-ass 79 Ford for him to drive when he got his license, he wrecked it after 3 weeks and still lies to me about it to this day (luckily I know the truth now but that's a peace of mind thing as my name is on the title). That heartbreak is another story....

Then he wrecked my wife's Expedition. That's when driving privileges ended.

Now my oldest daughter is 15 and is learning to drive. MKwife and I are tired of our vehicles getting thrashed so the Tercel is our latest attempt. She can learn to drive with something smaller than a tank, she can learn to drive stick (most important), and my son has given me a 1000 dollar damage deposit. Mom keeps the keys, he doesn't have free rein with the car. If the car survives until Liz turns 16 and gets her license, Tom gets his money back. If he fucks it up, the deposit defaults to us and we sign the car over to him.

Here it is in all its glory! I had a brand new Tercel in 95, when I took it for a drive it felt like a blast from the past.

It can't get out of its own way, it shakes if you take it on the freeway, but for the short commutes the kids do it should be fine. Although I'm pretty confident my son will prove me wrong and make me regret this before New Year's.

Marcus
Founding Father
Founding Father
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 61 times

Re: Probably the best vehicle ever made!

Post by Marcus » Wed Nov 08, 2017 2:43 am

Good luck MK. Getting braced for the same kind of fun myself.

Sent from my LG-H910 using Tapatalk
Mandy wrote:I meant Marcus post, he's like ninja slicer, he's nice he's nice he's nice, ....SWISH... he cuts your effin head off ;)

Rem700
KAC Member
KAC Member
Has liked: 109 times
Been liked: 55 times

Post by Rem700 » Wed Nov 08, 2017 6:26 am

Good luck! I am only a few years away from this myself. Not looking forward to it.

Dave1965
KAC Member
KAC Member
Been liked: 23 times

Post by Dave1965 » Wed Nov 08, 2017 7:36 am

I can speak only my from experience with both a daughter and son. They both wrecked their first cars. Hers was a 96 pontiac grand prix (the second I owned at the exact same time and both were white) and I bought her one because the one I already owned was a tank and had killed three deer, had metal replaced by me and totaled by the insurance three times and I made a bunch of money on.

The one I got her was nice but ended up with engine problem which contributed slightly to wreck but the real problem was that she defied us and took it to bigger city of Lexington when she was told to keep it around our county. She then got a toyota camry and wrecked it. From witness account, she was going probably 55-60 (limit is 55) on our two lane small road, and she claims a dually truck forced her over into the shoulder which then dropped off and put her into a slide off the side of the road and ended up with a V in the car up against a telephone pole with impact on pillar right behind her seat. She still has neck issues from that one almost 8 years later. I suspect it was not a truck but distracted driving that caused the wreck but I don't know for sure.

My son was in East KY going to visit relatives and got lost and went around a curve in the wet and the Camry we had gotten him (older model) started sliding him into an oncoming pickup truck which he struck on the front quarter panel of his car. Totalled both vehicles and I told a story before about how the woman in the truck passenger seat sued my insurance and got almost 100k for injuries (via a lawyer) and she could have come after everything I owned. We were lucky he only had very minor injuries but it also started an internal condition on him that he still has to struggle with today. He blames it on the tires (which were fairly new) but I know he was lost and unsure and probably went to fast around the curve and that is dangerous as we all know for many cars.

Bottom line to the story is as I consider what to do for getting my granddaughter a car is that I choose NOTHING LESS than a mid-size or bigger sedan. That is solely on experience and knowing they may wreck and I want something around them like that truck MK owned, heavy duty and built to at least take an impact (yes I know pickups aren't that great but its heavy duty at least). I was going to give her my Honda but I am concerned on a couple issues. Therefore I am looking at other vehicles and options. What I won't do is get a small car for a young driver (corolla is too small in my mind). I think that it would be a bad decision FOR ME to do that and then if they didn't have extra size around them, I would totally feel horrible. Granted, she talks about just saving up 500 dollars and go buying some junker but I can stop that by saying, "once you get a car, I feel no need to help you with it". So you can wait and get a functioning car, or not wait and get junk. Thats my .02 and experience. Not saying everyone should do what I do, but that is how I am working it.

Mexican Kerry
KAC Member
KAC Member

Post by Mexican Kerry » Thu Nov 09, 2017 10:08 am

I was concerned about the size too, (more car around you in case of a wreck) but along with size usually comes more motor. I could have bought an older Crown Vic or something but then he'd just boil the tires off it and get into trouble. Tough to know which way to go with it, there are pros and cons to anything.

The first two (F250 and Expedition) got him in trouble due to the engine and I figured I'd try the other end of the spectrum this time. Also he has his own money on the line this time, and a lot more limitations on his use of the car so hopefully he uses his head a bit more. We'll see.

He doesn't have unlimited use, he's only allowed to use it for getting to things in our area (no freeway or highway use). I was running out of ideas on how to make this kid act more responsibly, but we need him to be able to drive himself around due to the fact that all four kids are involved in lots of activities and I'm on the road most of the time.

WLJ
KAC Member
KAC Member
Been liked: 109 times

Post by WLJ » Thu Nov 09, 2017 10:14 am

The perfect ride for a teenager who keeps wrecking cars
maxresdefault k.jpg
There are criminals among us who are both homicidal and incorrigible. Their parents took a shot at civilizing them and failed. Their school teachers took a shot at them and failed. The odds are overwhelming that government welfare programs and penal institutions took a shot at them and failed. If it ever becomes your turn to take a shot at them, don’t fail.

kokopelli
KAC Member
KAC Member
Been liked: 17 times

Post by kokopelli » Thu Nov 09, 2017 10:31 am

My 17 year old stepson (he was too lazy to get his permit until then, and his mom would drop everything at a moment's notice and shuttle him anywhere...) was given a one-owner '97 Honda CR-V, and was only responsible for putting gas in it...within months it had a dented hood from standing on it, the entire passenger side caved in from slaloming brick columns in a parking lot and the driver's side rear corner crushed in from backing into a parked semi-trailer's bumper. So, thankfully no other vehicles damaged that our insurance had to cover.

Then in a TWO WEEK PERIOD he got THREE speeding tickets in three different counties. The car was taken away after that. He never learned anything about responsibility, though, and about a year later, he calls me, stranded on the Western Ky Pkwy in the middle of the night. It seems his car 'just quit working' all of a sudden. What really happened is he had not changed the oil in almost 2 years, and it had a small leak. Well, for some reason or another the engine needed to have oil in it, and when it didn't, it exploded throwing a rod completely through the side of it.
He actually asked 'can't we just pour more oil in it?' I showed him the fist-sized hole in the side of it, and calmly asked him 'how do you think the oil will stay in there?'

...and this is a kid that grew up watching me build Jeeps and working on cars, preaching to hm the necessity for maintenance...

Mexican Kerry
KAC Member
KAC Member

Post by Mexican Kerry » Thu Nov 09, 2017 11:04 am

WLJ wrote:The perfect ride for a teenager who keeps wrecking cars
maxresdefault k.jpg
I'd agree 100% but I'm also trying to teach my daughter how to drive. And MKwife needs a helper driver when I'm gone. Its not ideal but we need him driving sometimes.

Mexican Kerry
KAC Member
KAC Member

Post by Mexican Kerry » Thu Nov 09, 2017 11:07 am

kokopelli wrote:My 17 year old stepson (he was too lazy to get his permit until then, and his mom would drop everything at a moment's notice and shuttle him anywhere...) was given a one-owner '97 Honda CR-V, and was only responsible for putting gas in it...within months it had a dented hood from standing on it, the entire passenger side caved in from slaloming brick columns in a parking lot and the driver's side rear corner crushed in from backing into a parked semi-trailer's bumper. So, thankfully no other vehicles damaged that our insurance had to cover.

Then in a TWO WEEK PERIOD he got THREE speeding tickets in three different counties. The car was taken away after that. He never learned anything about responsibility, though, and about a year later, he calls me, stranded on the Western Ky Pkwy in the middle of the night. It seems his car 'just quit working' all of a sudden. What really happened is he had not changed the oil in almost 2 years, and it had a small leak. Well, for some reason or another the engine needed to have oil in it, and when it didn't, it exploded throwing a rod completely through the side of it.
He actually asked 'can't we just pour more oil in it?' I showed him the fist-sized hole in the side of it, and calmly asked him 'how do you think the oil will stay in there?'

...and this is a kid that grew up watching me build Jeeps and working on cars, preaching to hm the necessity for maintenance...
I hear you, he has been around vehicles and shops his whole life too. He had the truck in the school shop last winter and did all the repairs himself. He knows how to fix things but just doesn't seem to give a shit about wrecking stuff. Probably because I gave him the truck in the first place.

Mexican Kerry
KAC Member
KAC Member

Post by Mexican Kerry » Thu Nov 09, 2017 11:14 am

My first car was a 76 Dart (2 door hardtop with a 318). I paid 400 bucks for it, it wasn't an awesome car but I took care of it and tried to maintain it as much as I could with zero mechanical ability or skills. All my spare time was spent trying to teach myself about mechanics and making my car better (or at least maintained). If my dad had given me a vehicle like the truck I would have treated it the same, any time I borrowed a vehicle I was very careful to return it in the same condition. If I hadn't, I wouldn't have lived to see today.

I assumed my son would do the same, but apparently not. Have I raised an entitled spoiled kid or are all teenagers like this and don't use their brains? My wife tells me all kids are like this and that I must have been an anomaly.

Marcus
Founding Father
Founding Father

Post by Marcus » Thu Nov 09, 2017 11:23 am

Mexican Kerry wrote:My first car was a 76 Dart (2 door hardtop with a 318). I paid 400 bucks for it, it wasn't an awesome car but I took care of it and tried to maintain it as much as I could with zero mechanical ability or skills. All my spare time was spent trying to teach myself about mechanics and making my car better (or at least maintained). If my dad had given me a vehicle like the truck I would have treated it the same, any time I borrowed a vehicle I was very careful to return it in the same condition. If I hadn't, I wouldn't have lived to see today.

I assumed my son would do the same, but apparently not. Have I raised an entitled spoiled kid or are all teenagers like this and don't use their brains? My wife tells me all kids are like this and that I must have been an anomaly.
I think like you but my wife tells me the same thing yours does.

But for the record I completely rebuilt and then wrecked my first car, but I never wrecked my mom and dad's or anyone else's car.

Mandy wrote:I meant Marcus post, he's like ninja slicer, he's nice he's nice he's nice, ....SWISH... he cuts your effin head off ;)

rustynuts
KAC Member
KAC Member
Has liked: 46 times
Been liked: 78 times

Post by rustynuts » Thu Nov 09, 2017 12:21 pm

Marcus wrote:
Mexican Kerry wrote:My first car was a 76 Dart (2 door hardtop with a 318). I paid 400 bucks for it, it wasn't an awesome car but I took care of it and tried to maintain it as much as I could with zero mechanical ability or skills. All my spare time was spent trying to teach myself about mechanics and making my car better (or at least maintained). If my dad had given me a vehicle like the truck I would have treated it the same, any time I borrowed a vehicle I was very careful to return it in the same condition. If I hadn't, I wouldn't have lived to see today.

I think like you but my wife tells me the same thing yours does.

But for the record I completely rebuilt and then wrecked my first car, but I never wrecked my mom and dad's or anyone else's car.

Same. I wrecked my own (a '68 Camaro I bought and paid for) but never anyone else's.

Dave1965
KAC Member
KAC Member

Post by Dave1965 » Thu Nov 09, 2017 12:46 pm

Mexican Kerry wrote:
Have I raised an entitled spoiled kid or are all teenagers like this and don't use their brains? My wife tells me all kids are like this and that I must have been an anomaly.
my kids don't expect everything but I do try to help them and keep them from struggling as much as I can. Struggling is not bad but they have both done so over the last 5 years. When your kid won't eat because he doesn't want to ask for food money, then I needed to step in. And we never gave him a problem if he needed 100 for groceries. He was working while going to school and tried to pay for what he could. My daughter has been very self-sufficient for the last 6 years. However, she does need help sometimes.

I figured out that I have/am paying 100k for his education considering apt/food/tuition/car/gas/books that I have provided

Rem700
KAC Member
KAC Member

Post by Rem700 » Thu Nov 09, 2017 1:20 pm

I was given a car as a teen......but was told explicitly that would be the only car i was given. I was also taught to take care of my stuff and respect others peoples stuff more than my own. I drove that car for 6 years until it blew up. I bought my own after that. I was also responsible for all maintenance, insurance, gas, etc for the first car from day one. I cant agree that all kids are like that but lots are IMO because they never were taught the hard way that they better take care of things or else. I always knew if i made a mistake i was paying for it (money or otherwise).

kokopelli
KAC Member
KAC Member
Been liked: 17 times

Post by kokopelli » Thu Nov 09, 2017 1:51 pm

My first car was a Ford Pinto, 2.3l 4 banger that Dad got off a customer because the engine needed rebuilt (he was a mechanic and had his own 1-man garage).
I thought that thing was a Ferrari and took care of it like it was. I, too was responsible for gas, insurance, and maintenance.
When people are given something with nothing invested, they have no sense of responsibility.

Dave1965
KAC Member
KAC Member

Post by Dave1965 » Thu Nov 09, 2017 2:04 pm

kokopelli wrote:When people are given something with nothing invested, they have no sense of responsibility.

That is a pretty wide cast net on people putting them all in one category. I would not believe it applies to all people.

Marcus
Founding Father
Founding Father

Post by Marcus » Thu Nov 09, 2017 2:57 pm

Dave1965 wrote:
kokopelli wrote:When people are given something with nothing invested, they have no sense of responsibility.

That is a pretty wide cast net on people putting them all in one category. I would not believe it applies to all people.
Seems to apply to most in my experience.

Dave1965
KAC Member
KAC Member

Post by Dave1965 » Thu Nov 09, 2017 2:59 pm

Marcus wrote:
Dave1965 wrote:

Sad to hear

Rem700
KAC Member
KAC Member

Post by Rem700 » Thu Nov 09, 2017 3:01 pm

Marcus wrote:
Dave1965 wrote:

Agreed. If nothing else....sweat equity goes a long way to appreciating things

Some people do realize that NOTHING in life is free.....Free just means someone else paid for it. Those people can appreciate things given to them with nothing invested......others can not. Unfortunately IMO the vast majority fall into the second category.

Marcus
Founding Father
Founding Father

Post by Marcus » Thu Nov 09, 2017 3:02 pm

Dave1965 wrote:
Marcus wrote:
Dave1965 wrote:

Sad to hear
I doubt my experiences are unusual

Niceguy
KAC Member
KAC Member
Has liked: 328 times
Been liked: 91 times

Post by Niceguy » Thu Nov 09, 2017 3:04 pm

Dave1965 wrote:

Dealing with the public the last 22+ years has shown me that Koko's statement is true 99.999% of the time.

My mom matched my money for my first car, 83 RX7. Gas, ins, so on was on me. I was kinda hard on it, but I knew it was on me if and when I broke it also. I've always been SUPER!!!! independent and can't imagine asking anyone for anything, even at 16. Can't even fathom doing that as adult. Even being given something in a will kinda gave me a weird feeling.

Rem700
KAC Member
KAC Member

Post by Rem700 » Thu Nov 09, 2017 3:05 pm

Marcus wrote:
Dave1965 wrote:
Marcus wrote:
Dave1965 wrote:

Sad to hear

In my example above.....Dave is the guy paying for the free stuff lol :llama:

rustynuts
KAC Member
KAC Member
Has liked: 46 times
Been liked: 78 times

Post by rustynuts » Thu Nov 09, 2017 4:14 pm

Marcus wrote:
Dave1965 wrote:
Marcus wrote:
Dave1965 wrote:

Sad to hear

They are not.

Dave1965
KAC Member
KAC Member

Post by Dave1965 » Fri Nov 10, 2017 9:47 am

And despite whether they appreciate the item given to them or not. I will not want them in a small vehicle for this reason and if anything in this damn world scares the hell out of you then this picture should. It was my daughters Camry wrapped around a telephone pole. Come running up on this after a phone call and your heart will drop a mile. A foot more toward the front of the car and she may not still be here. I feel lucky it hit the pillar instead.
Attachments
image.jpeg
image.jpeg (98.36 KiB) Viewed 2111 times

Dave1965
KAC Member
KAC Member

Post by Dave1965 » Fri Nov 10, 2017 9:47 am

Imagine that in a Ford Focus.

Return to “Vehicles”