For all your cast boo-lit needs.
iron369
KAC Member
KAC Member
Has liked: 72 times
Been liked: 96 times

Carry ammunition

Post by iron369 » Mon Oct 09, 2017 5:09 pm

Do you roll your own carry ammunition? Seen a really good deal on some hst but it’s still pricey for target ammo but much cheaper than factory loaded. Way too many different opinions about legality.
Using Tapatalk

son of liberty
KAC Member
KAC Member
Has liked: 0
Been liked: 0

Re: Carry ammunition

Post by son of liberty » Mon Oct 09, 2017 5:54 pm

I do.

I trust my handloads when loaded for serious use much more then any factory ammunition. Legality after a defense shooting is not my worry and this whole debate on it is some BS.

PDM
KAC Member
KAC Member
Has liked: 87 times
Been liked: 44 times

Post by PDM » Mon Oct 09, 2017 6:14 pm

I'm with sol but I do buy underwood from time to time
"The unlimited power of the sword is not in the hands of either the federal or the state governments, but, where I trust in God it will ever remain, in the hands of the people."
Tench Coxe

jackalo626
Global Mod
Global Mod
Has liked: 20 times
Been liked: 22 times

Post by jackalo626 » Mon Oct 09, 2017 7:19 pm

Its simple, cheap, and easy to buy with endless options so bought here.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Dave1965
KAC Member
KAC Member
Been liked: 23 times

Post by Dave1965 » Mon Oct 09, 2017 10:16 pm

bought, haven't started reloading but have most everything to do it with. So it would be better quality control than me.

I have way too much brand new defensive ammo (bought in large lots of ammo) not to use it.

justang1997
KAC Member
KAC Member

Post by justang1997 » Tue Oct 10, 2017 11:21 pm

Speer gold dots are my favorite to buy loaded or to handload. Been wanting to try the berry's hybrid hollow points.

RecoilSensitive
KAC Member
KAC Member
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 2 times

Post by RecoilSensitive » Sun Dec 02, 2018 5:52 pm

Bought. I load thousands of rounds a year and have good quality. Still buy my defensive tho.
"But now," he said, "take your money and a traveler's bag. And if you don't have a sword, sell your cloak and buy one" -Jesus (Luke 22:36 NLT)

Frailer
KAC Member
KAC Member

Post by Frailer » Sun Dec 02, 2018 7:33 pm

I put a pretty high value on my time, so I only reload cartridges that are way more expensive than they should be (such as 38 Special wadcutters or 45 Colt).

The small savings I’d realize by reloading my own defensive ammo just isn’t worth it to me.

Dustin
KAC Member
KAC Member
Has liked: 4 times
Been liked: 39 times

Post by Dustin » Sun Dec 02, 2018 9:52 pm

I buy my carry ammo. The lawyers have me worried about roll your own.

If you hit someone with your car. Asked about the brakes and you say I just worked on them last night, How does that look to a jury?
Or you say I don't know I took it to the shop yesterday. Then the blame can be put on the shop not you.

Same rule applies to the deadly super duper bullet you loaded. Or the one underwood or Hornady made.

IHMO
"What country can preserve its liberties if their rulers are not warned from time to time that their people preserve the spirit of resistance. Let them take arms." Thomas Jefferson

iron369
KAC Member
KAC Member
Has liked: 72 times

Post by iron369 » Mon Dec 03, 2018 7:59 am

Dustin wrote:I buy my carry ammo. The lawyers have me worried about roll your own.

If you hit someone with your car. Asked about the brakes and you say I just worked on them last night, How does that look to a jury?
Or you say I don't know I took it to the shop yesterday. Then the blame can be put on the shop not you.

Same rule applies to the deadly super duper bullet you loaded. Or the one underwood or Hornady made.

IHMO
They may question it, (and rightfully so) but has anyone heard of a situation where it has been a factor?
Using Tapatalk

Dustin
KAC Member
KAC Member
Has liked: 4 times
Been liked: 39 times

Post by Dustin » Mon Dec 03, 2018 8:57 am

The closest I can think of is George Zimmerman they went after him for having a Hogue grips on his gun. So if he would have used reloads it would have came up.

So if you use reloads in a defense shooting about 1% of the time will they look at what ammo you used. It up to the prosecuting attorney if they want to spend the time and money chasing that down. Most won't in a cut and dry case.
"What country can preserve its liberties if their rulers are not warned from time to time that their people preserve the spirit of resistance. Let them take arms." Thomas Jefferson

Toddstang
Global Mod
Global Mod
Has liked: 145 times

Post by Toddstang » Mon Dec 03, 2018 9:16 am

Arizona about 12 years ago. Some guy defended himself by shooting a crazed homeless person with hollow points and prosecuting attorney convinced a jury that hollow points are for killing, not self defense.
Here:

Some CCW holders in the United States have elected since 2006 to switch from carrying hollow-point bullets and especially 10mm Auto caliber weapons to instead favor carrying smaller caliber weapons after the conviction of retired school teacher Harold Fish in Arizona for second degree murder during a self-defense shooting. His conviction for killing a homeless man with a history of mental instability who attacked him while hiking on a remote trail was obtained through a jury trial by stressing Fish overreacted through choosing to use the increased stopping power of 10 mm hollow point bullets. State law in Arizona has subsequently been changed, such that the state now has the burden to prove that a self defense shooting was not in self defense, whereas the burden previously before the Fish incident was that the shooter on trial had to prove that the shooting was in fact done in self defense. Meanwhile, many CCW holders have elected to switch to carrying handguns loaded with FMJ bullets in calibers smaller than 10 mm. A choice often advocated for selecting the correct stopping power in CCW training classes is to select to use the exact same type of bullets (FMJ or hollow point), in the exact same caliber that are used by the local police, to avoid being accused of overreacting during any self defense post-incident trial.

ssracer
KAC Member
KAC Member
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 55 times

Post by ssracer » Mon Dec 03, 2018 9:37 am

Kinda along the same lines as modifications to your carry gun. We all know they make no difference other than maybe actually helping you hit the target you intend to, but if you get a prosecutor out for blood they can try to use anything against you.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

jackalo626
Global Mod
Global Mod
Has liked: 20 times
Been liked: 22 times

Post by jackalo626 » Mon Dec 03, 2018 7:25 pm

A shooting is justified or it isn't. The case will be, was it ok to shoot, not what color your magazine bottom was. With that being said, this world is so screwed that anything some dumbass who knows nothing about guns brings up could even be debated. Just skip it and spend a few dollars more and keep the store stuff in it. Fact is, your ammo being carried isn't even a legal issue so to even say it is a debate in a court room or a living room is ridiculous. "Did you use legal ammo a or legal ammo b? The question alone outs you as a moron for asking.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

guncrank1
KAC Member
KAC Member
Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 15 times

Post by guncrank1 » Wed Dec 05, 2018 8:09 am

I sometimes do carry handloads.
Last edited by guncrank1 on Wed Dec 05, 2018 8:13 am, edited 1 time in total.

guncrank1
KAC Member
KAC Member
Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 15 times

Post by guncrank1 » Wed Dec 05, 2018 8:11 am

I carry super dooper layer driving crazy gut tearing factory ammuntion

Return to “Reloading”