New EDC knife.

Edged weapons, blades, pocketknives, swords, whatever has a blade.
RecoilSensitive
KAC Member
KAC Member
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 2 times

New EDC knife.

Post by RecoilSensitive » Mon May 01, 2017 10:34 pm

Okay so I am looking to pick up a new edc knife since I have trashed and or lost a few lately.

Requirements:
Assisted opening
Lefty friendly (have the little flipper not just studs)
Concealment clip
Easy to sharpen
Hold decent edge
Pretty thin (I carry in back pocket)
3" or so blade (2.75-3.1)

Knives I have had or do have
Kershaw Cryo 2. - good knife but a little too big and heavy
Kershaw Ember- I like this little knife but too small for most things I do
Gerper skeleton 2" blade. Good little knife but not one hand operation
Esee Zancudo- again nice little knife but not assisted.
Ozark trail folder. Actually what I have on me now since I broke the clip on my Cryo 2 and needed something to beat up until I buy something else. Not a bad knife for $3.50
"But now," he said, "take your money and a traveler's bag. And if you don't have a sword, sell your cloak and buy one" -Jesus (Luke 22:36 NLT)

Whootsinator
Little Butthole
Has liked: 0
Been liked: 0

Re: New EDC knife.

Post by Whootsinator » Mon May 01, 2017 10:45 pm

Budget? Under $50?
"I don't retreat; I kick ass in the other direction."

ssracer
KAC Member
KAC Member
Been liked: 55 times

Post by ssracer » Mon May 01, 2017 11:21 pm

I'm really wanting a karambit

nemo
KAC Member
KAC Member
Has liked: 36 times
Been liked: 160 times

Post by nemo » Tue May 02, 2017 12:10 am

Benchmade 940. Buy once, cry once. I've been beating on mine for 5 months and it just keeps on slicing. Holds an edge a stupid long time even cutting paper on a pressboard table and boxes all day. Scraping stickers off metal parts has not damaged it. Sharpened it once since I bought it, I just hit it on the strop wheel about once a week is all for maintenance.

Oh, how so high they fly........ only further to fall.

-Life

son of liberty
KAC Member
KAC Member

Post by son of liberty » Tue May 02, 2017 6:24 am

I been rocking ganzo, they are a china knife but very good quality. They make a bunch of "parts" for benchmade and have many of the same styles, locks, and so on. I have carried one for about 18 months and find them to be perfect. Knives are in the 20 dollar range, you dpnt die when you loose it, easy to sharpen, hold an edge, and look great. I have 6 or 7 of them.
Attachments
ganzo-g753-g7533-cf-camping-tactical-pocket.jpg

Wyldman
KAC Member
KAC Member

Post by Wyldman » Tue May 02, 2017 10:35 am

Ken Onion Scallion or Leek. Everything you said you wanted at a reasonable price.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk
IN GOD WE TRUST

"That boy's paradigm don't always add up to four nickels...."

Rem700
KAC Member
KAC Member
Has liked: 109 times

Post by Rem700 » Tue May 02, 2017 11:25 am

Anyone want to do a tutorial on knife sharpening? With vids or pics? I have a few i need to sharpen up. I know SOL did one a while back.

ssracer
KAC Member
KAC Member

Post by ssracer » Tue May 02, 2017 11:45 am

I've just got one of those lansky kits that I use to sharpen. Progressively finer stones

Gunsmokin
KAC Member
KAC Member
Been liked: 20 times

Post by Gunsmokin » Tue May 02, 2017 1:14 pm

I'll probably get flamed for this, but, I use a sharpener my wife bought from pampered chef. It is the type you draw the blade through a pair of V shaped ceramic rods. I have used many different methods over the years and that Pampered Chef sharpener gives me the sharpest blades the easiest and quickest of any sharpener I've tried. I have a Lansky sharpener and it is awesome, especially if you are trying to repair a damaged blade. The Pampered Chef is more of a maintenance sharpener than something you would try to fix a really dull or damaged blade.
jackalo626 wrote:Skibble dee dibbledy

RecoilSensitive
KAC Member
KAC Member

Post by RecoilSensitive » Tue May 02, 2017 3:41 pm

Whootsinator wrote:Budget? Under $50?
Under $65
"But now," he said, "take your money and a traveler's bag. And if you don't have a sword, sell your cloak and buy one" -Jesus (Luke 22:36 NLT)

RecoilSensitive
KAC Member
KAC Member

Post by RecoilSensitive » Tue May 02, 2017 3:43 pm

ssracer wrote:I'm really wanting a karambit
Too tactical. I use the blade for work a lot and can't scare people lol

Marcus
Founding Father
Founding Father
Been liked: 61 times

Post by Marcus » Tue May 02, 2017 3:53 pm

Wyldman wrote:Ken Onion Scallion or Leek. Everything you said you wanted at a reasonable price.

Gotta 2nd the leek. Slightly larger than what you want but very light and checks off all your boxes. I can't imagine breaking the pocket clip. I carry one now in my back pocket and most knives I actually remove the pocket clip since its either weak or is uncomfortable but this one is neither.

I actually have 2. I like the partially serrated one less so I carry it since I don't care if it gets beat up. The only thing I don't love about it is the flat blade shape.
Mandy wrote:I meant Marcus post, he's like ninja slicer, he's nice he's nice he's nice, ....SWISH... he cuts your effin head off ;)

Gunsmokin
KAC Member
KAC Member
Been liked: 20 times

Post by Gunsmokin » Tue May 02, 2017 4:10 pm

Marcus wrote:
Wyldman wrote:Ken Onion Scallion or Leek. Everything you said you wanted at a reasonable price.

Gotta 2nd the leek. Slightly larger than what you want but very light and checks off all your boxes. I can't imagine breaking the pocket clip. I carry one now in my back pocket and most knives I actually remove the pocket clip since its either weak or is uncomfortable but this one is neither.

I actually have 2. I like the partially serrated one less so I carry it since I don't care if it gets beat up. The only thing I don't love about it is the flat blade shape.
I have a couple Leeks. Love them. Both of them are the cheap version from WM. I haven't had one with the partially serrated blade. Both of mine are plain. The tip of my first one got broke. But, it wasn't the knife's fault. It was abused mercilessly for a couple years. The size is awesome. They are also very slick/quick blades to open. Ambidextrous as well.

I forgot I had it with me one time going to a concert at the Yum. I literally stuck it in my shoe and walked through security when they were wanding everyone. I don't think I could get my ZT that I edc in my shoe. :-)
jackalo626 wrote:Skibble dee dibbledy

Wyldman
KAC Member
KAC Member

Post by Wyldman » Tue May 02, 2017 4:17 pm

The Scallion is the same as the Leak, but slightly smaller and a very slightly different shape. I actually have one of each in damascus steel. My son got them for me as presents. I carry the Leak in my right pocket and the Scallion in my watch pocket. It's nice to always have 2 good blades on me. If I ever lose either one, I WILL replace it.

As much as I love my ZT 0350, it lives in my left pocket, when I carry it at all. It balances out the wieght of the 2 Onion blades on the right side.

IN GOD WE TRUST

"That boy's paradigm don't always add up to four nickels...."

jackalo626
Global Mod
Global Mod
Has liked: 20 times
Been liked: 22 times

Post by jackalo626 » Tue May 02, 2017 6:53 pm

ssracer wrote:I'm really wanting a karambit
Dude.....cmon man.....

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

jackalo626
Global Mod
Global Mod

Post by jackalo626 » Tue May 02, 2017 6:56 pm

ssracer wrote:I've just got one of those lansky kits that I use to sharpen. Progressively finer stones
I have and dig.

jackalo626
Global Mod
Global Mod

Post by jackalo626 » Tue May 02, 2017 6:59 pm

son of liberty wrote:I been rocking ganzo, they are a china knife but very good quality. They make a bunch of "parts" for benchmade and have many of the same styles, locks, and so on. I have carried one for about 18 months and find them to be perfect. Knives are in the 20 dollar range, you dpnt die when you loose it, easy to sharpen, hold an edge, and look great. I have 6 or 7 of them.
Why do you have 6 or 7 of the same knife if I am reading that right? Just curious, I always just keep the same one for a long time and hearing others ideas are interesting.

jackalo626
Global Mod
Global Mod

Post by jackalo626 » Tue May 02, 2017 7:01 pm

Also never met anyone that carries in their back pocket until this thread.

Dave1965
KAC Member
KAC Member
Been liked: 23 times

Post by Dave1965 » Tue May 02, 2017 7:09 pm

jackalo626 wrote:
son of liberty wrote:I been rocking ganzo, they are a china knife but very good quality. They make a bunch of "parts" for benchmade and have many of the same styles, locks, and so on. I have carried one for about 18 months and find them to be perfect. Knives are in the 20 dollar range, you dpnt die when you loose it, easy to sharpen, hold an edge, and look great. I have 6 or 7 of them.
Why do you have 6 or 7 of the same knife if I am reading that right? Just curious, I always just keep the same one for a long time and hearing others ideas are interesting.

Like Benchmade, there are tons of models of them. Since he mentioned it I have been looking at them on ebay. Lots of color and blade and design options. Quite a few of them for $20 delivered. Think I will get a few myself. My EDC's are generally the Esee cheap versions (zancuto or avispa) or a few different benchmades or a couple different Kershaws.

jackalo626
Global Mod
Global Mod

Post by jackalo626 » Tue May 02, 2017 7:11 pm

Dave1965 wrote:
jackalo626 wrote:

Like Benchmade, there are tons of models of them. Since he mentioned it I have been looking at them on ebay. Lots of color and blade and design options. Quite a few of them for $20 delivered. Think I will get a few myself. My EDC's are generally the Esee cheap versions (zancuto or avispa) or a few different benchmades or a couple different Kershaws.
If they are different knives, I get it. I was asking because I said it read they were the same knives so I asked.

ssracer
KAC Member
KAC Member

Post by ssracer » Tue May 02, 2017 7:57 pm

Wyldman wrote:The Scallion is the same as the Leak, but slightly smaller and a very slightly different shape. I actually have one of each in damascus steel. My son got them for me as presents. I carry the Leak in my right pocket and the Scallion in my watch pocket. It's nice to always have 2 good blades on me. If I ever lose either one, I WILL replace it.

As much as I love my ZT 0350, it lives in my left pocket, when I carry it at all. It balances out the wieght of the 2 Onion blades on the right side.

Try the 0300...I carry that every day...my buddies call it the baby elephant killer..lol

Whootsinator
Little Butthole

Post by Whootsinator » Tue May 02, 2017 8:23 pm

ZT-9 for EDC. Anything less is hardly a knife.
"I don't retreat; I kick ass in the other direction."

RecoilSensitive
KAC Member
KAC Member

Post by RecoilSensitive » Tue May 02, 2017 8:33 pm

Whootsinator wrote:ZT-9 for EDC. Anything less is hardly a knife.

Lol. Who are you crocodile dundee

son of liberty
KAC Member
KAC Member

Post by son of liberty » Tue May 02, 2017 8:36 pm

jackalo626 wrote:
Dave1965 wrote:
jackalo626 wrote:

If they are different knives, I get it. I was asking because I said it read they were the same knives so I asked.

They are diffrent models ,I keep a bunch of them around because they get lost or dull and I can just grab another and go with it. The ganzo 720 is a beast! Dont be fooled these are great knives and the 720 can be battoned , it is as close to a fixed blade as a folder can get Imo. Plenty of vids of it just being beat to heck and for 23 bucks its about the best deal around.
IMG_2050ke2.jpg
The pampered cheft sharpener is not a bad thing, I think you would be better off with a strop and some green buffing pitch but use what works for ya.

I do keep a bunch of swiss army knives around, just grab one out of the key bowl when you head out some times they get left in dirt clothes or by my bed but they all make there way back to the bowl at some point.

The kershaw knives are great , my brother carries one with the s30v steel and its a beast. Pain to sharpen but i sharpen it 3 times a year. Look out though certin kershaw models come from china some from the USA , if im going to buy a china knife im going with ganzo so it must be a usa kershaw, but overall good knives.

You get no more buying lesser quality steel even in a name brand so shop not only style but steel, style determines how sharp, steel how long that edge last. Final thought, even the china steel is state of the art, most all modern steels blow away there 30year old equivalent so shop well.

jackalo626
Global Mod
Global Mod

Post by jackalo626 » Tue May 02, 2017 9:02 pm

Ah good deal, thanks for explaining. I have the s30v USA Kershaw as one of mine also. I have seen those gonzo because that is a lion steel knock off I was going to buy the lion steel and was led to that page looking at an image gallery. I carry a protech for last year and a half that is auto and USA made that I love.

Return to “Edged Weapons”