So I made some budget kydex mag pouches

Boots, packs, mag pouches, clothes, pens, whatever tactical gear you can think of discuss here.
samb.
Has liked: 0
Been liked: 0

So I made some budget kydex mag pouches

Post by samb. » Wed Apr 12, 2017 11:54 pm

Finished product at bottom of post.

I basically copied the mag pouches found here https://cpwsa.com/products/ready-tactic ... -mag-pouch
I did modify the design a little bit so that it works for my single stack setup and lets me run the mag either direction. These are rough because I am going to use them for USPSA single stack division and function beats form every time. You could easily do a much better job if you take your time. I have $30 in the kydex from tandy leather with scrap to make 4 more. It would have been cheaper online but I like to shop local and it was a hey lets build this today kind of project.

Tools:
Heat gun
Vise
Razor knife
sharpie
Heavy duty shears

Materials:
Kydex in color of choice
stiff paper

Step one: Layout the design, for some reason I didn't get pics of my paper template but it looks just like the kydex flat. Trace your template onto the kydex and get to cutting. A razor will score and break straight edges, for the rounded edges I used heavy duty shears but you could leave it straight and not do a curve.

Step two: Bend your first edge, Place the edge in the vise ad bend as shown. Try to only heat where you will bend the heat will give the kydex a glossy finish. Maybe if you heat the backside it won't I have no idea. After the bend is made hold it till it cools so it will stay in place.

Step three: Bend some more

Step five: Another Bend!!!

Step six: Bend again......No pic, I forgot. Oops....Just bend along this white line. Use your mag as a template if you need to so that you get a clean edge. This edge is very important, to tight the mag won't fit, to loose and well it'll be loose and flop around.

Step Seven: Bend the belt loop, this time you are being this away from the mag body so it won't interfere with the mag. Again I forgot the pic so bend on the white line. I bent this around a yard stick that was the same size as my competition belt.

The bend should look similar to this.

Step eight: Bend the tabs, this is what keeps it from coming up with the mag when drawing. This mag pouch has the tabs sticking out so that it doubles as an IWB holster/pouch or on my comp belt if I need an extra mag. For my comp specific pouches the tabs are bent to the pouch and trimmed as necessary.

Step nine: Adjust tension to user preference via heat gun and finding your sweet spot. I reheated this area shown by the white line.

Optional: I added velcro to the back side of the belt loop so that it wont slide on my comp belt, I plan on adding moleskin or felt or similar to the IWB pouch so it won't rub me the wrong way.

Finished product:

Next I want to try to make some that orient the magazine perpendicular to the belt so the bullets are pointed away from the body and take up very little real estate on my belt since I need so many mags and I'm not fat yet.

Dave1965
KAC Member
KAC Member
Has liked: 0
Been liked: 23 times

Re: So I made some budget kydex mag pouches

Post by Dave1965 » Thu Apr 13, 2017 9:39 am

good write-up, thanks for the explanations and photos :)

Return to “Tactical Gear”