Not all Glock barrels are the same

Forum for your two most popular Tupperware handguns. Glock and XD.
RedRocker
KAC Member
KAC Member
Has liked: 0
Been liked: 0

Not all Glock barrels are the same

Post by RedRocker » Sat Jan 21, 2017 3:57 am

I thought I'd share a costly mistake I recently made, and perhaps save someone else from doing the same. All Glock barrels look alike, right? I mean minus the caliber and length, it's easy to assume they're all the same. I had a Lone Wolf barrel originally for a Glock 22. I sold my Glock 22 and decided to have my Lone Wolf barrel cut down to use in my newly acquired Glock 23. It turns out that a full size Glock barrel has slight differences in the locking lugs, blocks, angles, etc. on the "chamber" end of the barrel and WILL NOT work in either a compact or subcompact Glock of the same caliber. Perhaps some of you knew that already, but I'm betting there's a few that had no idea.

I got a cool paperweight now, and a story to tell, lol.
Last edited by RedRocker on Sat Jan 21, 2017 4:03 am, edited 1 time in total.
Going to McDonalds for a salad is like going to a prostitute for a hug.

RedRocker
KAC Member
KAC Member

Re: Not all Glock barrels are the same

Post by RedRocker » Sat Jan 21, 2017 3:58 am

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Gunsmokin
KAC Member
KAC Member
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 20 times

Post by Gunsmokin » Sat Jan 21, 2017 6:35 am

Apparently, whomever cut it down for you didn't know either. On the bright side, at least you didn't get it to go back into the gun and then have it blow up in your hand. Thanks for posting.
jackalo626 wrote:Skibble dee dibbledy

RedRocker
KAC Member
KAC Member

Post by RedRocker » Sat Jan 21, 2017 7:03 am

Gunsmokin wrote:Apparently, whomever cut it down for you didn't know either. On the bright side, at least you didn't get it to go back into the gun and then have it blow up in your hand. Thanks for posting.
Not entirely true. The barrel fit right in the slide, I installed the spring and somehow neglected to notice that the end of the guide rod was protruding about 3/16". Slid the slide onto the frame and racked it back. Only then did I notice a problem. I had it in quite a jam, and was unable to break it back down. Ultimately, the pins in the frame had to be punched out to take it apart. That's when I did a side by side comparison and realized the difference. Kinda felt like a fool, even called Lone Wolf customer support only to have my worst fear confirmed. Lesson learned.

ssracer
KAC Member
KAC Member
Been liked: 55 times

Post by ssracer » Sat Jan 21, 2017 10:30 am

Were they both the same generation? I ask because I think they made some changes between gen 3 and gen 4 to where those barrels are not interchangeable.

RedRocker
KAC Member
KAC Member

Post by RedRocker » Sat Jan 21, 2017 2:27 pm

ssracer wrote:Were they both the same generation? I ask because I think they made some changes between gen 3 and gen 4 to where those barrels are not interchangeable.
Both of my Glocks were Gen 3. So at least we know my situation was "apples to apples". I'm not sure what may have changed between Gen 3 and Gen 4 barrel wise.

ssracer
KAC Member
KAC Member
Been liked: 55 times

Post by ssracer » Sat Jan 21, 2017 3:15 pm

RedRocker wrote:
ssracer wrote:Were they both the same generation? I ask because I think they made some changes between gen 3 and gen 4 to where those barrels are not interchangeable.
Both of my Glocks were Gen 3. So at least we know my situation was "apples to apples". I'm not sure what may have changed between Gen 3 and Gen 4 barrel wise.

i may have been wrong. I thought I had heard that. It a little research seems to indicate there is no difference between gen 3 and 4 barrels

RecoilSensitive
KAC Member
KAC Member
Been liked: 2 times

Post by RecoilSensitive » Mon Jan 30, 2017 9:02 am

No difference on gens but full size, compact, and subscompsct have different lock up and angles on lock ups.
"But now," he said, "take your money and a traveler's bag. And if you don't have a sword, sell your cloak and buy one" -Jesus (Luke 22:36 NLT)

WLJ
KAC Member
KAC Member
Been liked: 109 times

Post by WLJ » Mon Jan 30, 2017 9:18 am

RecoilSensitive wrote:No difference on gens but full size, compact, and subscompsct have different lock up and angles on lock ups.
That would make sense because the timings would have to be different.
There are criminals among us who are both homicidal and incorrigible. Their parents took a shot at civilizing them and failed. Their school teachers took a shot at them and failed. The odds are overwhelming that government welfare programs and penal institutions took a shot at them and failed. If it ever becomes your turn to take a shot at them, don’t fail.

RedRocker
KAC Member
KAC Member

Post by RedRocker » Mon Jan 30, 2017 9:25 am

RecoilSensitive wrote:No difference on gens but full size, compact, and subscompsct have different lock up and angles on lock ups.
I haven't seen it with my own eyes, but it's my understanding that the compact and sub compact are the exact same on the chamber end, but differ from the full size models. I could have succeeded in cutting down a G23 barrel to a G27, but not from G22 to either.

KYGlassman
KAC Member
KAC Member

Post by KYGlassman » Mon Jan 30, 2017 10:47 am

Thanks for sharing this.

Return to “XD & Glock”