Magpul Glock Mag Recall

Forum for your two most popular Tupperware handguns. Glock and XD.
Frailer
KAC Member
KAC Member
Has liked: 0
Been liked: 0

Magpul Glock Mag Recall

Post by Frailer » Thu Apr 16, 2015 7:50 pm

That was quick. From MidwayUSA:

Customer satisfaction is our #1 goal and we pride ourselves on providing you with quality products at great prices. Unfortunately, Magpul Industries has discovered an issue with their Glock 17 PMag (GL9) which you recently purchased from us. Here are the details from Magpul:

After initial release of the Glock 17 PMag (GL9) a few days ago we started seeing random issues of failure to feed with the new magazine in other Glock models primarily the Glock 19 and 26. Of all the challenges of building a Glock magazine with single new composite, issues like drop free, impact strength and feed lip retention were foremost on our mind. The failure to feed came as a bit of a surprise to us and we immediately headed out to the range to investigate.

In short order we found the problem. Without getting into technical details, some small, but critical geometry changes did not make it into the initial production molds. We should have caught this but no failures showed up on our factory guns during live fire testing and flaws in our internal processes of checks/balances did not flag the oversight as it should.

So this is what we are going to do about it.

Molds are being updated with the correct geometry as we speak and a replacement magazine body with the correct geometry should be available by May 4th 2015. These will be date coded 5/15 and later and will replace any magazine bodies in service of earlier manufacture. Just use your existing spring, follower, and floor plate with the new body.

Since you purchased your magazines from MidwayUSA, you do not need to do anything, replacement magazine bodies for the magazines (1 for 1) ordered will be shipped to you automatically.

In short, we are updating ALL of the affected magazines released as quickly as we possibly can.

Richard Fitzpatrick
President/CEO -Magpul Industries Corp

As noted above, no direct action is needed from you as the replacement magazine bodies will be shipped as soon as possible.

Sincerely,
Customer Service
MidwayUSA

Toddstang
Global Mod
Global Mod
Has liked: 145 times
Been liked: 96 times

Re: Magpul Glock Mag Recall

Post by Toddstang » Thu Apr 16, 2015 8:20 pm

That's awesome CS right there.

Frailer
KAC Member
KAC Member

Post by Frailer » Thu Apr 16, 2015 8:25 pm

It is; I've always been happy with the service I've received from Midway. They're not perfect, and they're often not the cheapest, but they give it an honest effort and they don't jack up prices during panics.

I am, however, disappointed in Magpul. You'd think that when you're marketing a product to compete with an existing item whose reliability is near-legendary you'd test it like you've never tested before prior to releasing it to the public.

gaston_kalash

Post by gaston_kalash » Fri Apr 17, 2015 7:21 am

I've shot a couple mags full threw my g23 with a 40-9 and a g26 and haven't had any issues so far except 1 failure to feed with the first round using the slide stop. It works perfect when racking the slide so far.

Sent from somewhere over yonder.
SI JE PUIS

jackalo626
Global Mod
Global Mod
Has liked: 20 times
Been liked: 22 times

Post by jackalo626 » Fri Apr 17, 2015 11:52 am

Frailer wrote:It is; I've always been happy with the service I've received from Midway. They're not perfect, and they're often not the cheapest, but they give it an honest effort and they don't jack up prices during panics.

I am, however, disappointed in Magpul. You'd think that when you're marketing a product to compete with an existing item whose reliability is near-legendary you'd test it like you've never tested before prior to releasing it to the public.
Truth

son of liberty
KAC Member
KAC Member

Post by son of liberty » Fri Apr 17, 2015 8:45 pm

Look , mistakes will be made in any industry, its how you deal with the mistakes that matters. Sure its a shame it was not caught long before they went to market , and im sure magpul would agree , but standing up and saying ........... ....................we are sorry , we made a mistake, and we will fix it no matter what, is a hell of a thing to do. To go one step further I would like to see them request that every mag body be sent back to then just so they can destroy them and not allow them to survive in the market. When you compare that with every other industry and there response to failures or mistakes, they are doing the right thing.

Whootsinator
Little Butthole

Post by Whootsinator » Fri Apr 17, 2015 9:06 pm

son of liberty wrote:Look , mistakes will be made in any industry, its how you deal with the mistakes that matters. Sure its a shame it was not caught long before they went to market , and im sure magpul would agree , but standing up and saying ........... ....................we are sorry , we made a mistake, and we will fix it no matter what, is a hell of a thing to do. To go one step further I would like to see them request that every mag body be sent back to then just so they can destroy them and not allow them to survive in the market. When you compare that with every other industry and there response to failures or mistakes, they are doing the right thing.
Absolutely. I respect both companies for how well this is being handled.
"I don't retreat; I kick ass in the other direction."

gaston_kalash

Post by gaston_kalash » Fri Apr 17, 2015 9:14 pm

Dido

Sent from somewhere over yonder.
SI JE PUIS

Toecutter1978
KAC Member
KAC Member
Been liked: 14 times

Post by Toecutter1978 » Fri Apr 17, 2015 10:41 pm

I will be purchasing some once this is cleared up

Frailer
KAC Member
KAC Member

Post by Frailer » Sat Apr 18, 2015 11:35 am

son of liberty wrote:...To go one step further I would like to see them request that every mag body be sent back to then just so they can destroy them and not allow them to survive in the market. When you compare that with every other industry and there response to failures or mistakes, they are doing the right thing.
I agree with the first part, and I disagree with the second.

Magpul has a sterling reputation for making products that work better than the "original" (or at least as well, at a lower price).

When they made a ballsy move and decided to take on a product that is itself the gold standard in terms of reliability they had to know that they were taking a risk. When they realized they had stepped on their crank the *right* thing to do--if they wanted to avoid damage to the Magpul brand--would have to been to go above and beyond in terms of customer service. Example: ship customers new mags and return labels.

BTW, it was end users who found the glitch, not Magpul. They merely admitted to something that was going to become common knowledge anyway and decided to do the absolute minimum required by sending customers a replacement part and making them fix it themselves.

I expect Magpul to do better. I'm shipping my mags back to them.

son of liberty
KAC Member
KAC Member

Post by son of liberty » Sat Apr 18, 2015 9:09 pm

SeymourSkinner wrote:
Frailer wrote:
son of liberty wrote:...To go one step further I would like to see them request that every mag body be sent back to then just so they can destroy them and not allow them to survive in the market. When you compare that with every other industry and there response to failures or mistakes, they are doing the right thing.
I agree with the first part, and I disagree with the second.

Magpul has a sterling reputation for making products that work better than the "original" (or at least as well, at a lower price).

When they made a ballsy move and decided to take on a product that is itself the gold standard in terms of reliability they had to know that they were taking a risk. When they realized they had stepped on their crank the *right* thing to do--if they wanted to avoid damage to the Magpul brand--would have to been to go above and beyond in terms of customer service. Example: ship customers new mags and return labels.

BTW, it was end users who found the glitch, not Magpul. They merely admitted to something that was going to become common knowledge anyway and decided to do the absolute minimum required by sending customers a replacement part and making them fix it themselves.

I expect Magpul to do better. I'm shipping my mags back to them.

Here. Our shit doesn't work. You just wait while get your address (lame) from midway and later on we will send you the part so YOU can fix it.

I had assumed that the whole through midway , and there other major suppliers , was an attempt to get as many repaired or replaced as possible. Really its the best way to reach all the people who may be unaware of any issues , they can use the records to get to everyone that ordered them. I would also assume that they would send replacements to any person who called them and may have got the mags through an alternative source. With any recall the difficulty is getting all products repaired or replaced , and as such a number of failed products survive and haunt the reputation of the company for a very long time, I assumed it was there intent to eliminate as many of these issues as possible.

Frailer
KAC Member
KAC Member

Post by Frailer » Sat Apr 18, 2015 9:53 pm

I'm sure you're right, but here's my take:

Magpul's sin here is arrogance, and they've compounded that sin, IMHO. Let me explain:

You almost have to admire the chutzpah of a company that thinks they can make a better 9mm Glock magazine--arguably the single most-reliable, best-bang-for-the-buck piece of hardware in the world of semiauto handguns.

Then they not only go down this road, but they trumpet their intentions broadly and loudly.

Good for them. And given their peerless reputation we drink the Koolaid.

Obviously Magpul is going to test the living shit out of these things before they allow them into the wild, right? To do otherwise would be inconceivably stupid, and Magpul isn't stupid.

Yet by their own admission they failed to adhere to their own QC standards, and bad mags escape.

Magpul: "OK...we completely screwed the pooch...but not really. We're awesome, and everybody will still love us, because we're Magpul."

And they're right. Legions of Internet denizens are cheering Magpul for going "above and beyond" to fix this problem.

Only they're not. They're doing the absolute minimum required at the absolute minimum cost. How about asking customers what *they* would like? Maybe offer an option: return the mags for replacement or refund, wait for replacement mag bodies and receive an additional mag as compensation for your trouble, get a 25% off coupon on your next purchase, whatever.

FWIW, MidwayUSA will accept my return and refund my shipping, but I don't want them to eat the cost for Magpul's fuck-up. I call Magpul to see if *they* will cut me a refund. Nope. They'll issue a store credit, but shipping is on me. I politely explain to them that I was leery of buying these things, but Magpul's reputation convinced me, and that I'm disappointed.

During this conversation did they make *any* additional effort to make this customer happy? Did they even *ask*? Nope.

Magpul is a good company, and they're doing the right (or at least legal) thing. But what they're doing isn't "awesome." It is merely satisfactory, and I expected better from them.

I paid good money in good faith and received a sub-standard product. Since I am the wronged party in this business dealing, it is your job to either give me what I paid for or refund my money--all of it.

At no time did I agree to assemble mags for you, and you have no right to demand that I do so. I don't give a damn how simple the task is. You can *ask* if I wouldn't mind doing this, but that's not what you did. I consider this rude.

Back to Midway my mags will go.

Dave1965
KAC Member
KAC Member
Been liked: 23 times

Post by Dave1965 » Sat Apr 18, 2015 11:25 pm

well they are a for-profit company and the bottom line is the all mighty dollar. Lucky they are still in business after Colorado passed that law. Again, the whole reason for them moving was money (to keep the big-selling 30 rd going). I don't begrudge them for the way they handled it and at least they caught it quick. Wont make a difference in buying anything from them in the future. They have filled a niche in the market and provide good products. Sure they could have sent everyone a new magazine but then there would probably be these old crappy mags floating around still (people that own them may sell them quick to a secondary person who doesn't know about the problem). Or they may languish in someones gun parts for years until they decide to get rid of them or forget about the problem and go to use them one day and get in a situation they need it and it fails. Better to not have a whole bad magazine floating around out there. I am sure they thought this all through. Yeah, it comes down to the bottom line of money.

Frailer
KAC Member
KAC Member

Post by Frailer » Sun Apr 19, 2015 12:05 am

I respect them for moving, but they weren't forced to, as Colorado was going to let them continue to produce PMags in-state.

FWIW I never suggested they simply send free mags and leave the bad ones out there.

I know nothing about their current financial situation, but I have to believe somebody saw the writing on the wall and realized the AR market is fully saturated, and PMags aren't going to sustain the company forever.

Based on this, moving some of their production capability to Glock mags makes sense. There are about a gazillion 9mm Glocks out there, and KCI mags suck.

Problem is Glock users have already been burned by low-cost non-OEM mags, so they can't afford to screw it up.

Since they *did* screw it up, I think extraordinary measures are required to unscrew it. This is not a time to pinch pennies.

Maybe I'm wrong, and this will prove to be enough for most potential customers. But I do know one guy who will have exactly zero Magpul Glock magazines in his stash: me.

jackalo626
Global Mod
Global Mod
Has liked: 20 times
Been liked: 22 times

Post by jackalo626 » Sun Apr 19, 2015 9:12 am

Kci mags do suck. Only bolt action glock I ever operated was due to a Kci mag and I will never buy another product from them.

Jeepjockey
KAC Member
KAC Member
Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 6 times

Post by Jeepjockey » Sun Apr 19, 2015 12:37 pm

I applaud Magpul's customer service.
A.K.A MMAJEEPER

Frailer
KAC Member
KAC Member

Post by Frailer » Sun Apr 19, 2015 12:44 pm

I think this whole situation reminds me of students who come up to me beaming and say, "Look, I did my homework!"

My response is, "You want me to compliment you for doing what you're *supposed* to do?"

JustShootIt
Founding Father
Founding Father
Has liked: 3 times

Post by JustShootIt » Sun Apr 19, 2015 2:13 pm

Bottom line for me is this:

They screwed up....no excuses, just simply said, hey we made an oversight and we are willing to make it right.

Sure, that's what " they are supposed to do" but IMO they gain respect.

Easy to beat them (or any other company) up for making a mistake that we think shouldn't have happened in the first place....or criticize and say "this would have been a better way to deal with it"

No one...nor nothing is perfect.... I think they are handling it well.
"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."(Edmund Burke)

Return to “XD & Glock”