ChopperDoc
KAC Member
KAC Member
Has liked: 0
Been liked: 1 time

Compound Bow Sights

Post by ChopperDoc » Fri Sep 13, 2013 12:51 pm

Anyone ever tried a single pin sight?

Here is one that gets good reviews. I saw some videos on it. Interesting for sure, but seems like it would be slower since I would need to draw and then click to my estimated range instead of just using on of the 5 pins I have already set.

Anyone got experience?

http://www.hhasports.com/products/opt-lite-ultra.htm
"You rarely rise to the occasion, you usually just sink to your lowest level of training."

ChopperDoc
KAC Member
KAC Member

Re: Compound Bow Sights

Post by ChopperDoc » Mon Sep 16, 2013 11:21 am

Decided against the single pin. Going to stay with what I know, but upgrading from the basic 3 pin I have to a 5 pin TruGlo and adding a Dead On Range Finder (Estimator) that I will install once it gets here.

http://deadonrangefinder.com/landingpages/newtemplate/

I was just going to add two more pins on the sight I have. Was quoted $19.99 per pin.... New 5 pin TruGlo was less than $50.
"You rarely rise to the occasion, you usually just sink to your lowest level of training."

Wyldman
KAC Member
KAC Member
Been liked: 0

Post by Wyldman » Mon Sep 16, 2013 1:26 pm

Good move. I agree with your earlier assesments
IN GOD WE TRUST

"That boy's paradigm don't always add up to four nickels...."

DW-Fan

Post by DW-Fan » Sun Dec 15, 2013 9:37 pm

I had single pin on my last bow, it worked but costs valuable time when it needed to be adjusted. Multi-pins is the way to go. I have one on my current set-up and it works great.

ChopperDoc
KAC Member
KAC Member

Post by ChopperDoc » Mon Dec 16, 2013 12:31 am

Forgot about this post. The Dead On Range Finder is actaully pretty cool.

There is a foam mount that is pre-glued and you stick on your sight opposite your pins. You have several color pins to insert in that foam (you can move them to calibrate) so you can easily range targets at full draw. Was easy to calibrate and easier to use.

I was actually kind of doing this with my pins before on 3D deer targets. Some of the guys used a laser range finder to get actual distance, then I used my pins to measure back to belly on the target and guesstimated range based on that measurement. The Dead On Range Finder takes a lot of the guessing out as I can move the pins around as needed for various size game.

Pretty cool stuff.

DW-Fan

Post by DW-Fan » Mon Dec 16, 2013 8:31 am

Sounds like cool set-up! I use a range finder with angle technology to range landmarks when I get in a tree. It has really helped me become more accurate visually ranging yardage.

ChopperDoc
KAC Member
KAC Member

Post by ChopperDoc » Mon Mar 24, 2014 9:08 am

Shot a 3D target event this weekend. Finally got my bow all sighted in out to 50 yards and did some calibration on that range estimator doodad.

Worked pretty dang well. I recommend it as a good $20 'upgrade'. Even if you don't use it all the time I would think it is good for a quick estimate on targets of opportunity.

The boy shot his bow some this weekend too. I am glad he is enjoying it.

Wyldman
KAC Member
KAC Member

Post by Wyldman » Mon Mar 24, 2014 9:44 am

Not to take away from your doodad, I'm really glad to hear that it works really well, but just as an aside, prices on laser rangefinders are coming down to reachable levels, recently. They are still priced all over the expense spectrum, but with some judicious research and shopping, good ones (that actually work really well) can be had for under $200, now.

I just recently did a search on refurbed Bushnell ARC rangefinders (the ones that have the built in elevation/declination capability, providing accurate range estimation for downhill or tree shots) and found a refurbed Bushnell Scout 1000 ARC that I can use out to an effective 800 yds or for use with my air rifles or bow with equal ease and accuracy on Amazon for $189.00, about half of the normal price for a high quality, useful rangefinder. The Bushnell range finders quite literally have the best reviews of any of the better units available, especially for the price. They are easily competeing with Zeiss, Nikon, & Leupold for significantly less money.

The point is, prices and function are finally crossing the lines at a point that won't scare your wallet into a spastic coma. Something to consider, anyway.
IN GOD WE TRUST

"That boy's paradigm don't always add up to four nickels...."

ChopperDoc
KAC Member
KAC Member

Post by ChopperDoc » Mon Mar 24, 2014 9:58 am

Glad you posted that about price on range finders. I don't know much about them.

This thing does not replace a range finder, but if you find yourself in a stand, or walking or whatnot, and needing to take a shot you can quickly estimate range at full draw. For $20 bucks I think it has it's place.

Good the hear that the Bushnell's are decent ones. I hesitated to buy one a couple of times now because I do not know much about their quality.

Return to “Archery Section”