All things Archery
ChopperDoc
KAC Member
KAC Member
Has liked: 0
Been liked: 1 time

Just getting in to archery

Post by ChopperDoc » Thu Jun 20, 2013 12:28 pm

A close friend is really big into bows. I never made the time, even though he has always tried to get me too.

Well, he went in halves on a nice PSE Brute X and accessories with my wife for my birthday.

http://pse-archery.com/c/main-line-comp ... p-infinity

I had always envisioned bow use as a difficult task to master, imagining it would be more like a longbow, but I could not have been more wrong. I took the bow to the outfitter it was purchased from, explained that I was ignorant about its use and needed it set up for me. a few minutes to test my draw length, set the draw weight, adjust my release and we were shooting at the indoor range adjusting my sights.

I was thrilled.

Easy to operate, easy to shoot and with the sighting system I was hitting tight groups (relative term I know - at the indoor range I shot a 3 arrow group of about an inch at 20 yards while determining if my sights needed adjustment). The brief, but professional instruction on HOW to shoot is really all I needed and I would recommend it to anyone looking to start with a compound bow. I avoided learning bad habits from unskilled shooters (not that my buddy is unskilled, but he refused to show me the basics until I got the bow set up and had a 'professional' show me and critique my fundamentals). The rest is similar to gun work. Breath control, site picture, smooth trigger control, and practice.

Did a '3D Shoot' recently. Really had a great time. 27 targets at various distances, with various difficulty (hazards, shooting from stands and such). Scored a 220. My buddy (the guy who got me started in this and has been shooting for awhile now) got a 230. He did shoot at the 'advanced' stake while I shot the 'beginner' stake. My max range was about 30 yards, his max range at any station was about 40. Some targets were shot from the same distance by both of us. I did a couple shots from those ranges and got as good (or better) scores than I shot from the beginner stake. Really good time. Going to do it again next time it comes around.

Best part, so far, is that I can set up my target in the backyard and shoot out to 25 yards in my own backyard. Easy to practice the fundamentals.
"You rarely rise to the occasion, you usually just sink to your lowest level of training."

shaggy1392
KAC Member
KAC Member

Re: Just getting in to archery

Post by shaggy1392 » Mon Jul 01, 2013 11:23 am

I recently picked up a new bow. I hadn't had one since I was a kid and decided it would be fun to shoot in my backyard. I originally was going to get a pse brute x as well. I found one on the bargain cave at cabelas for a good price. Went to go shoot it and upon drawing it, the top limb shattered in my face. Needless to say, I quickly figured out why it was in the bargain cave. I decided then I was only going to purchase a brand new bow. I shot a couple and decided I liked a couple of Bear bows. I ended up getting a Bear encounter as it felt good to me and I shot it well. Plus at $400 I wouldn't be out to much if the bow ended up not getting much use. I started shooting everyday and have continued over the past few months. I have gotten pretty good and decided I'm going to give bow hunting a whirl this fall. Ill probably pick up a high end bow next spring but for now the encounter does everything I need it to and is a ton of fun.

etownguy
KAC Member
KAC Member
Been liked: 5 times

Post by etownguy » Mon Jul 01, 2013 11:47 am

Bow shooting is fun. I enjoy it although cannot do it at my house one early release could go towards a number of vehicles/houses.

ssracer
KAC Member
KAC Member
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 55 times

Post by ssracer » Mon Jul 01, 2013 12:00 pm

I would love to get a bow

guncrank1
KAC Member
KAC Member
Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 15 times

Post by guncrank1 » Mon Jul 01, 2013 12:43 pm

I was into archery twenty years ago.
In fact my father and I sold as many bows as gun back then.

I still have my arrow fletcher and a big bow press.

My bow is a four wheel Bear Whitetail hunter.
Have not pulled it back in years.
Arrows are missing fleching etc.

Sent Cranky Style from IPhone via Tapatalk
A gun smith
502-231-1118

shaggy1392
KAC Member
KAC Member

Post by shaggy1392 » Mon Jul 01, 2013 7:46 pm

ssracer wrote:I would love to get a bow

Go to cabelas and shoot a bunch of different ones before you buy one

dbh
KAC Member
KAC Member
Been liked: 0

Post by dbh » Mon Jul 01, 2013 8:02 pm

I got mine from Kings Archery in FC and would highly recommend them. Family owned and very knowledgable.

86 slo-vo
KAC Member
KAC Member

Post by 86 slo-vo » Mon Jul 01, 2013 8:43 pm

I don't do much regular archery, but enjoy getting out on the water and bow fishing some carp.

I have a Mathews.
Marcus wrote:KAC, marrying above their league since 2012.

scorpionmain
KAC Member
KAC Member

Post by scorpionmain » Mon Jul 01, 2013 8:46 pm

Haven't shot mine in years.
I need to remedy that.
"Among the natural rights of the colonists are these: First a right to life, secondly to liberty, and thirdly to property; together with the right to defend them in the best manner they can."
–Samuel Adams

shaggy1392
KAC Member
KAC Member

Post by shaggy1392 » Mon Jul 01, 2013 9:17 pm

Just got done shooting 50 arrows. That's what I do just about every night after I get the kids in bed.

shaggy1392
KAC Member
KAC Member

Post by shaggy1392 » Sun Jul 07, 2013 8:50 pm

Did a little shooting this evening. These were my last 4 shots I took from 25 yards.

JustShootIt
Founding Father
Founding Father
Has liked: 3 times

Post by JustShootIt » Sun Jul 07, 2013 10:04 pm

Nice
"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."(Edmund Burke)

86 slo-vo
KAC Member
KAC Member

Post by 86 slo-vo » Sun Jul 07, 2013 10:39 pm

Didn't see many carp at rough river so I was shooting at 2"-4" bluegill. Stuck 2-3 of them and knocked about 5. Was fun going for the small targets.

Really impressed with this older Mathews MQ32 that I gave $100 for.
Marcus wrote:KAC, marrying above their league since 2012.

Return to “Archery Section”