In. Want to know also.

Wyldman
KAC Member
KAC Member
Has liked: 0
Been liked: 0

Re: Takedown Recurve Bow

Post by Wyldman » Thu Apr 09, 2015 4:27 pm

I have 2 I have been using for many years. The haters will tell you that recurves are old tech and not worth using. Real men, with proper arm strength, still use recurves.

My Bear Kodiak 60 lb bow will take any game on the NA continent, no problems.
IN GOD WE TRUST

"That boy's paradigm don't always add up to four nickels...."

AErrorist

Post by AErrorist » Thu Apr 09, 2015 7:53 pm

I also have a Samick Sage take down with 60# limbs. I like it because I can switch the limbs out, of course I'm an idiot so I went ahead and started with 60# ones like I have an idea of what I'm doing, haha.

Geno
KAC Member
KAC Member
Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 15 times

Post by Geno » Fri Apr 10, 2015 7:35 pm

I have a Pearson 55lb takedown recurve bow. It was a wedding gift to me from my wife almost 24 years ago. I keep it in an takedown case from NEET. I enjoy shooting this bow more than my few compounds. The recurve bow without sights and shot "Apache" method are relaxing, you just will the arrow to the target. Mostly instinctive shooting. With my Bowtech Admiral any deer within 40 yards is pretty much in danger. With the recurve, 20 yards would be my self inposed limit. Using blunt tips or washers inserted under screw on field points are great for "stump" shooting or small game of opportunity. I have changed the string 3 or 4 times. Truing is simple, as compared to compounds with short brace height. My son shoots a Mathews Genesis compound. These are very nice because there is a constant pull weight and no set draw length. It will grow with him. He is 10 and now using the same bow as the school system uses in after school programs. He started at 5 with a 12 lb mini Genesis. I use the recurve when I am able to fling arrows together.
Long story short. I married the right woman, and archery in most any form is fun and good for you! Mentally and physically.
Geno
I know not what the future holds, but I know Who holds the future.

Neither Welfare nor political office were intended to be a career path!

DW-Fan

Post by DW-Fan » Tue Apr 21, 2015 12:52 pm

Great replies and info guys. Exactly the information I was looking for. Sounds like you all love shooting your recurves and they have a long life. My current compound is a Hoyt Spyder. Since I started shooting it I really only bow hunt now. For me it's a lot more rewarding, challenging and personal of an experience. I have been wanting to get into recurve shooting for a few years for relaxation, family fun and some hunting.

KYGlassman
KAC Member
KAC Member

Post by KYGlassman » Wed Apr 22, 2015 2:37 pm

My oldest son and I both have Sammick Sage Recurves as well. We take them to traditional bow shoots and do the 3d courses. It's a lot of fun. Both my boys started on hand make stick bows. I made them a couple and I got them both one at a trad bow event one weekend. I have some hickory and some Hackberry staves currently drying to build some more trad bows with. Building your own stick bow is a lot of work but very satisfying.

It's a lot of fun. The weekend trad-bow events are a blast. There is a nice one over in Harrodsburg, KY each year.

DW-Fan

Post by DW-Fan » Wed May 06, 2015 1:55 pm

Pearson, Bear, Samick, Hoyt all seem to be good choices. Bow shoots sound like a lot of fun, that won't be on my radar for a while.

Return to “Archery Section”