All things archery!
Toecutter1978
KAC Member
KAC Member
Has liked: 0
Been liked: 14 times

Survival bow?

Post by Toecutter1978 » Thu Nov 14, 2013 6:08 pm

So after talking to Neal the other night during class. Archery was brought up. Now I will admit up front, I am a horrible shot with an arrow. A bolt, I can handle better. I have been wanting to add something like this to the kit however for some time. This bow folds up for easy storage. Thoughts, if even worth giving it a try?
http://www.goprimalnow.com/Compact_Fold ... b-1-50.htm

son of liberty
KAC Member
KAC Member
Been liked: 0

Re: Survival bow?

Post by son of liberty » Thu Nov 14, 2013 8:09 pm

So many retailers are trying to cash in on the survival/prepper market that so many less then ideal tools are brought to market based more on a fantasy then actual physical use. I would not have anything to do with that contraption , its a less then ideal bow for the use with features that make no sense in the reality of the real world .....even post SHTF. The best thing you could do is learn to make your own primitive bow , by making your own primitive bow, beyond that the simple bear recurve bows are plenty and well up to the task. Now if you have everything you own on your back and the bow is your means of hunting you are going to be doing it as you hike, stopping to assemble your bow aint going to cut it, you had best be moving with the arrow knocked or you missed your chance. Beyond that a box of extra rounds for your CCDW will take up less room and prove just as effective , why not just pop a single round. Im not against bows I think they are great and learning to shoot one is a great idea , but that survival bow thing is a turd.

Toecutter1978
KAC Member
KAC Member

Post by Toecutter1978 » Fri Nov 15, 2013 11:06 am

I figured that. I do want to learn shooting a bow, my Boy Scout Troop wants to take it on as a Merit badge.

Toecutter1978
KAC Member
KAC Member

Post by Toecutter1978 » Fri Nov 15, 2013 11:07 am

I figured that. I do want to learn shooting a bow, my Boy Scout Troop wants to take it on as a Merit badge.

ChopperDoc
KAC Member
KAC Member
Been liked: 1 time

Post by ChopperDoc » Fri Nov 15, 2013 11:19 am

Compound Bow's are quite easy. I was surprised. I mean relatively - modern sights and modern bows make it pretty easy. Get someone good to set up your bow and give you some instruction on how to shoot. Then practice.

I found out that shooting fundamentals transfer from guns to a compound bow easily.

I have never used a recurve or other bow, and I can see they require more skill. Eventually I will try it out.
"You rarely rise to the occasion, you usually just sink to your lowest level of training."

DDgunslinger

Post by DDgunslinger » Fri Nov 15, 2013 11:54 am

ChopperDoc wrote:Compound Bow's are quite easy. I was surprised. I mean relatively - modern sights and modern bows make it pretty easy. Get someone good to set up your bow and give you some instruction on how to shoot. Then practice.

I found out that shooting fundamentals transfer from guns to a compound bow easily.

I have never used a recurve or other bow, and I can see they require more skill. Eventually I will try it out.
This

I picked up a bow from a member off here awhile back. I went and had the draw length adjusted and hit the range at Tom Sawyer park. I had zero instruction and by my second or third time out I was pretty much golden at 30 yards and hitting pretty consistent at 40yrds. I cant stack arrows by any means but I can hold a 4inch group. The biggest advice I can give ya is keep your support forearm out of the damn way lol I got tagged a couple of times in the beginning.

guncrank1
KAC Member
KAC Member
Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 15 times

Post by guncrank1 » Fri Nov 15, 2013 12:17 pm

DDgunslinger wrote:
ChopperDoc wrote:Compound Bow's are quite easy. I was surprised. I mean relatively - modern sights and modern bows make it pretty easy. Get someone good to set up your bow and give you some instruction on how to shoot. Then practice.

This

I picked up a bow from a member off here awhile back. I went and had the draw length adjusted and hit the range at Tom Sawyer park. I had zero instruction and by my second or third time out I was pretty much golden at 30 yards and hitting pretty consistent at 40yrds. I cant stack arrows by any means but I can hold a 4inch group. The biggest advice I can give ya is keep your support forearm out of the damn way lol I got tagged a couple of times in the beginning.

DD you need a forearm bracer or arm guard
Toe,recurves are a pull and release form
Compounds are different breed.

If you want a take down , find a old take down recurve.
Or have a bowyer make you a new one.
Last edited by guncrank1 on Fri Nov 15, 2013 12:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ChopperDoc
KAC Member
KAC Member

Post by ChopperDoc » Fri Nov 15, 2013 12:32 pm

Forearm brace? You mean a pussy cover?

:)
"You rarely rise to the occasion, you usually just sink to your lowest level of training."

guncrank1
KAC Member
KAC Member

Post by guncrank1 » Fri Nov 15, 2013 12:40 pm

ChopperDoc wrote:Forearm brace? You mean a pussy cover?

Haha
Edited post

Wyldman
KAC Member
KAC Member

Post by Wyldman » Fri Nov 15, 2013 12:46 pm

Chew up your arm often enough, you'll happily use one. That shit hurts! A bow string will quickly eat right through a shirt sleeve, & the skin underneath.

Ask me how I know.
IN GOD WE TRUST

"That boy's paradigm don't always add up to four nickels...."

DDgunslinger

Post by DDgunslinger » Fri Nov 15, 2013 3:26 pm

Wyldman wrote:

Chew up your arm often enough, you'll happily use one. That shit hurts! A bow string will quickly eat right through a shirt sleeve, & the skin underneath.

Ask me how I know.
Lol yea... I got tagged bare skin 3 times on my first outing. I had a nice little love mark for about a week and a half. I learned to just bend my arm a little more.

Wyldman
KAC Member
KAC Member

Post by Wyldman » Fri Nov 15, 2013 6:25 pm

DDgunslinger wrote:
Wyldman wrote:

Ask me how I know.
Lol yea... I got tagged bare skin 3 times on my first outing. I had a nice little love mark for about a week and a half. I learned to just bend my arm a little more.
Bending your arm to avoid string rash is bad form and will seriously affect your accuracy & consistancy. The arm guard makes consistant accuracy much easier, especially with heavier draw weight bows.

Now, using a release is for wussies and girls.........real men just use a finger tab or glove.
IN GOD WE TRUST

"That boy's paradigm don't always add up to four nickels...."

Toecutter1978
KAC Member
KAC Member

Post by Toecutter1978 » Sat Nov 16, 2013 11:13 am

So, I need a recurve, forearm brace, arrows, and what else? Can you purchase one and adjust the poundage on the pull? If I'm going to invest money in this, I want to get one that my lady's boy can use also. Don't know if that me being cheap, but if we're not too into it, I can at least donate it to our Troop to use.

Toecutter1978
KAC Member
KAC Member

Post by Toecutter1978 » Sat Nov 16, 2013 11:13 am

So, I need a recurve, forearm brace, arrows, and what else? Can you purchase one and adjust the poundage on the pull? If I'm going to invest money in this, I want to get one that my lady's boy can use also. Don't know if that me being cheap, but if we're not too into it, I can at least donate it to our Troop to use.

guncrank1
KAC Member
KAC Member

Post by guncrank1 » Sat Nov 16, 2013 6:22 pm

Toecutter1978 wrote:So, I need a recurve, forearm brace, arrows, and what else? Can you purchase one and adjust the poundage on the pull? If I'm going to invest money in this, I want to get one that my lady's boy can use also. Don't know if that me being cheap, but if we're not too into it, I can at least donate it to our Troop to use.

No recurve are not adjustable in weight like a compound.

justang1997
KAC Member
KAC Member

Post by justang1997 » Sat Nov 16, 2013 7:01 pm

What's the ak47 of compound bows?

Sent from my Q10 using Tapatalk 2

ChopperDoc
KAC Member
KAC Member

Post by ChopperDoc » Sat Nov 16, 2013 9:22 pm

I have shot with several people who are much better than me. I was taught by one of the guys at King's how to hold the bow so I do not hit my arm (when I asked about an arm brace).

Extend your support hand and get a proper grip on the bow. Make sure the elbow is not facing the ground, but facing out to the left (or right). This creates a natural curve in your arm that is comfortable and not forced (so it's stable) and keeps your forearm away from the string when released.

He mentioned that if I am hunting in the cold and wearing a heavy coat I might want a forearm cover to keep my jacket from getting torn up.

I am not certain of it, but I think that the folks who shoot compound bows on a regular basis might not get the impression that you really know what you are doing if you are strapping a protector on that arm. I have never seen any of them wear one and not a one of them has been bruised up after any of the 3D shoots I did with them. I know I never was.

guncrank1
KAC Member
KAC Member

Post by guncrank1 » Sun Nov 17, 2013 11:53 am

So now compound bows have changed with technology, so has the correct form . Toecutter my finial advice to you would find a bowyer or archery shop you like and procure your advice there.
I do know that some sportsman clubs gave archery leagues. Fern Creek Sportsnan does and I believe they start in the spring and end in the late summer.

ChopperDoc
KAC Member
KAC Member

Post by ChopperDoc » Sun Nov 17, 2013 12:20 pm

As I stated, I am no expert. I am stating what I have seen and what I was taught by what, I am guessing, are competent people at King's Archery.

Return to “Archery Section”