Bushcraft Challenge Format.

This sub forum will have the weekly bushcraft challenge, an idea brought to KAC by Son of Liberty.
son of liberty
KAC Member
KAC Member
Has liked: 0
Been liked: 0

Bushcraft Challenge Format.

Post by son of liberty » Sun Mar 10, 2013 9:17 pm

OK so folks seems to like the Format and completing the challenges , some people may have ideas on challenges they would like to submit, That's great! We just need to insure that we have one challenge a week, so to do that if you have an idea and want to post up a challenge just contact me and we will get a calendar going of who gets what week. The Next Challenge on the 17th is taken care of but beyond that nothing is planned, I have an Idea of what I would like to see but im sure you all have ideas of what you would like to see as well.

nemo
KAC Member
KAC Member
Has liked: 36 times
Been liked: 162 times

Re: Bushcraft Challenge Format.

Post by nemo » Sun Mar 10, 2013 11:28 pm

Bow drill fire making! ALOT harder than it looks.
Oh, how so high they fly........ only further to fall.

-Life

son of liberty
KAC Member
KAC Member

Post by son of liberty » Sun Mar 10, 2013 11:36 pm

nemo wrote:Bow drill fire making! ALOT harder than it looks.
Its a good challenge for sure , we need to make sure we first do construction of a tinder bundle and blowing ember in to fire. Probably a good idea to do fire sets and feather sticks before friction fire.

Kadnine
KAC Member
KAC Member

Post by Kadnine » Mon Mar 11, 2013 12:49 am

I'll second the bow drill idea. Never been able to make that one work for me.

Agree that tinder bundle/feather stick should come first though. One of the things I like about these challenges is it slows me down and forces me to work on some fundamentals when my inclination is to jump over a few steps and skip right to "advanced level" skills. I like the way each challenge builds on the skills from the week before.

Here are some projects that might have a place somewhere in this series:

- levers, pulleys and inclined planes (if you have two tree trunks side by side, you can break down firewood from long limbs by throwing yer body weight against the long end of the limb wedged between them, if you can attach two planes of material, like wood, belt leather, or metal, you've got a useful door hinge. Add a rigid spacer to your homemade hinge and you have a ramp! String some rope back and forth around two sturdy anchor trees a few times, and one man can pull much more than his own weight.)
- paper-making (shred/boil/mash wood pulp or cotton fiber and filter thru a screen and dry)
- beer-making ('nough said. I was getting pretty good at this one before the docs cut me off)
- wine-making (same deal, I haz knowledges, but they do me no good, except to barter)
- practical plastic recycling (It's long been a fact of city life, and increasingly, of rural life, that plastics are here to stay. How do we re-purpose that milk jug, that bottle cap, that six-ring can holder into something that may just save our lives?)

- Keith
~~~

"'...what it is to be a bondservant thou knowest full well, but of freedom thou hast never yet made trial, to know whether it be a sweet thing or not. For if ever thou hadst experience thereof, thou wouldest counsel us to fight for it not with spears only but with axes.' Thus the Spartans answered Hydarnes." - Herodotus

~~~

Return to “Bushcraft Challenge”