Week 2/Tinder

This sub forum will have the weekly bushcraft challenge, an idea brought to KAC by Son of Liberty.
fromkentucky
Has liked: 0
Been liked: 0

Re: Week 2/Tinder

Post by fromkentucky » Sun Jun 23, 2013 12:29 pm

I lit my first fire using a ferro rod last night!

I don't have pictures, but I tried the following:

Dry Paper towel

Paper towel w/ Canola Oil

Paper towel spritzed with Olive Oil

Dryer Lint

Cedar strips

Paper Towel variations: The dry paper towel was the easiest of the 3 paper towels to light, but still took a bit of trying. I know Canola oil has a super-high flashpoint but I wanted to try something different. The Olive Oil spritz required a good deal of magnesium shavings and didn't burn any better than regular paper towel

Dryer Lint: Lit almost immediately with no magnesium shavings. Burned for a good 45 seconds or so (it was a big piece).

Cedar strips: I took a really big handful of cedar strips, smashed them into a ball and continued smashing and pulling, working it into a fluffy, fibrous, breathable bird's nest that caught without using any magnesium. I used it to light a log-cabin fire last night! It was very humid out here in the woods, so it took a LOT of blowing to catch the kindling, but I had 2-3 handfuls of small and medium-sized kindling already cut to size and ready to go. Once the small kindling caught, I was able to use the larger pieces and it took off! I was super proud, as that's the first time I've lit a fire without a lighter or liquid fuel.
"A citizen may not be required to offer a 'good and substantial reason' why he should be permitted to exercise his rights. The right's existence is all the reason he needs."

-U.S. District Judge Benson Everett Legg

Kadnine
KAC Member
KAC Member
Has liked: 0
Been liked: 0

Re: Week 2/Tinder

Post by Kadnine » Mon Jun 24, 2013 1:17 pm

Awesome sauce!

- K
~~~

"'...what it is to be a bondservant thou knowest full well, but of freedom thou hast never yet made trial, to know whether it be a sweet thing or not. For if ever thou hadst experience thereof, thou wouldest counsel us to fight for it not with spears only but with axes.' Thus the Spartans answered Hydarnes." - Herodotus

~~~

Return to “Bushcraft Challenge”