Bushcraft Challenge - The wooden mallet

This sub forum will have the weekly bushcraft challenge, an idea brought to KAC by Son of Liberty.
Kadnine
KAC Member
KAC Member
Has liked: 0
Been liked: 0

Bushcraft Challenge - The wooden mallet

Post by Kadnine » Tue Jun 11, 2013 6:07 am

Use the tool you have to make the tool you need, I always say. Needed a baton/striking mallet for driving a firewood splitting wedge this weekend, camping with friends, (including a couple of KAC forum guys, "fromkentucky" and "hermes418") ;)

Ended up with sore hands and many splinters just banging away using one quarter of a log against another.

So yesterday I hacked a leftover chunk of red oak into a rough mallet so I'll have one for next time. The wood was super dry, and again, I used my old $10 meat cleaver to rough out the shape after cutting the shoulders of the mallet head with a simple cross-cut saw. I really need me a good hatchet. My old Coleman isn't really worth anything, but I was impressed with fromkentucky's Fiskar's 14" camp axe w/ composite handle. It worked surprisingly well.

Didn't bother to do much finishing work on the handle, chose instead to leave it rough and then wrap the grip with 550 cord in a half hitch pattern.

So, this week's Challenge, is "Improvise a tool you need, using the tools you have." The choice is up to you, I needed a splitting mallet, but you might need a fire drill (that Challenge is coming up in the next few weeks) or maybe an arrow shaft, tent stake, vampire stake, etc. You get the idea.
IMG_20130611_051929.jpg
IMG_20130611_052028.jpg
IMG_20130611_052331.jpg
- Keith
~~~

"'...what it is to be a bondservant thou knowest full well, but of freedom thou hast never yet made trial, to know whether it be a sweet thing or not. For if ever thou hadst experience thereof, thou wouldest counsel us to fight for it not with spears only but with axes.' Thus the Spartans answered Hydarnes." - Herodotus

~~~

nemo
KAC Member
KAC Member
Has liked: 36 times
Been liked: 161 times

Re: Bushcraft Challenge - The wooden mallet

Post by nemo » Tue Jun 11, 2013 9:34 am

I was wondering what I was going to do with this, I think it's ash or birch.
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1370957657.105750.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1370957657.105750.jpg (103.93 KiB) Viewed 1933 times
Oh, how so high they fly........ only further to fall.

-Life

fromkentucky

Post by fromkentucky » Tue Jun 11, 2013 10:35 am

Nice work sir!

And Nemo, that looks like Ash.
"A citizen may not be required to offer a 'good and substantial reason' why he should be permitted to exercise his rights. The right's existence is all the reason he needs."

-U.S. District Judge Benson Everett Legg

Kadnine
KAC Member
KAC Member

Post by Kadnine » Sat Jun 15, 2013 12:03 am

From the tight bark it looks to be ash to me, too. Tho I'm not an expert. Once split, might yield some nice spoons. My spoon carving project v2.0 is in the works... I'm gunnin' for ya nemo! But it's not a competition, but it is... sorta... nemo's stuff may be better than mine, but I'm secure in my manhood... Mostly ;)

I still need a proper ax, as my trusty ten dollar cleaver finally gave up it's handle!
IMG_20130614_234029.jpg
{General question: Is this red oak, or some variant of cedar? It doesn't smell all resin-like the way ornamental cedar wood does, and I know tall cedar has open grain similar to oak, but again, I'm no expert.}

Saturday's project is to buy a Fiskars and a hook knife and see if I can't un-stuck this stucked-up situation. Had I realized the tang on this cheap, yet surprisingly strong, ten year old cleaver was only a half-inch? Never would I have wailed on it so hard for so many years! I'm lucky not to have lost an eye when it finally snapped on me today!

- Keith
~~~

"'...what it is to be a bondservant thou knowest full well, but of freedom thou hast never yet made trial, to know whether it be a sweet thing or not. For if ever thou hadst experience thereof, thou wouldest counsel us to fight for it not with spears only but with axes.' Thus the Spartans answered Hydarnes." - Herodotus

~~~

Kadnine
KAC Member
KAC Member

Post by Kadnine » Sat Jun 15, 2013 8:51 am

This is why why I never EVER throw anything away!
IMG_20130615_083834.jpg
Old chuck of firewood, two scrap pieces of 1x3, a few deck screws...
IMG_20130615_083926.jpg
... screw to attach....
IMG_20130615_084013.jpg
... equals sweet, sweet spoon making bench that won't scuff up the back deck! (Loving my new Fiskars BTW, hope to have spoon 2.0 completed by the end of the weekend.)

- Keith
~~~

~~~

Return to “Bushcraft Challenge”