Bushcraft Challenge - No-knife back-pack

This sub forum will have the weekly bushcraft challenge, an idea brought to KAC by Son of Liberty.
Kadnine
KAC Member
KAC Member
Has liked: 0
Been liked: 0

Bushcraft Challenge - No-knife back-pack

Post by Kadnine » Tue May 28, 2013 3:33 pm

Did the shoulder strap on yer pack snap beyond repair? Car break down and now you have to hike to a major road? Need an energy saving way to carry the firewood you've gathered back to the campsite? Is you buddy injuried and needs carrying? A field expedient A-Frame is a must have in your tool box of know how.

In this example, I made mine with three gathered sticks, a 30' hank of cord and no knife:
IMG_20130528_143946.jpg
Start with three sticks (I used lightweight 1" diameter sticks 2' in length) and a 30' hank of 550 cord, doubled over in the middle, if the sticks aren't the right length, save yer axe/blade edge, and snap them between twin tree trunks. Same with the cordage. This project should allow you to make something useful, and still keep yer cord the full 30' length for another bush project later:
IMG_20130528_143645.jpg
It's up to you how you wanna knot the shoulder straps, but I tied a quick wrap at the top and wove a "quick release loop" down the length of the two loose ends, saving the hank intact. And this trick can be scaled to size. Three chopsticks woven together, worn on the back of yer off hand will allow you let out spooled up fishing line, or make up to to a seven foot evacuation sled for an injured person, scaled all the up to a semi permanent living structure, the strength and versatility of the "A-Frame" is virtually limitless!

Feel free to build upon Son of Liberty's twist cordage method.

"WEEK 4/Cordage Braid"

I recommend knowing at least one quick deploy cordage system. Tangle free storage is where it's at. (When I get a chance, I'll make a tutorial on the system I prefer, in the meanwhile, Stormedrane's knots are extremely elegant!)
[youtube]mJ1g7peMXKM[/youtube]

- Keith
Last edited by Kadnine on Tue May 28, 2013 3:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
~~~

"'...what it is to be a bondservant thou knowest full well, but of freedom thou hast never yet made trial, to know whether it be a sweet thing or not. For if ever thou hadst experience thereof, thou wouldest counsel us to fight for it not with spears only but with axes.' Thus the Spartans answered Hydarnes." - Herodotus

~~~

Wyldman
KAC Member
KAC Member

Re: Bushcraft Challenge - No-knife back-pack

Post by Wyldman » Tue May 28, 2013 3:42 pm

I've done this on many occassions to pack out deer or hogs I couldn't otherwise carry out of places that were way back off of a road or logging trail. It works and it will save you paying the price of massively sore back for days afterwards. One of the things I learned after my spinal injury: always work smarter, not harder, especially if you're already hurting.
Last edited by Wyldman on Tue May 28, 2013 4:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
IN GOD WE TRUST

"That boy's paradigm don't always add up to four nickels...."

Kadnine
KAC Member
KAC Member

Post by Kadnine » Tue May 28, 2013 3:48 pm

Exactamundo, Wyldman. Military teaches "field expedient" measures like this all the time.

1 Use what you have
2 Conserve what you have
3 Re-purpose what you have

It's been known to save lives.

It's a fairly simple challenge, but if you've never done one, don't skip it now. When you may need to use it, like WYld sez, you may be at low ebb, energy-wise, and may need to rely on an already proven concept, practiced many times before. It could be cold or hot, you may be stressed, injured, etc.

If yer already familiar with the A-Frame, throw out some suggestions of how it could be used? I've turned one upside down and put the lower cross bar through the sleeves of a jacket for a field expedient carry pack before, (pocket storage, and main storage in between the coat and lining,) thought about turning the JACKET upside down for a carry pack (tying off the sleeves to hold water bottles with cuffs buttoned up to secure the bottles.)

- Keith
~~~

"'...what it is to be a bondservant thou knowest full well, but of freedom thou hast never yet made trial, to know whether it be a sweet thing or not. For if ever thou hadst experience thereof, thou wouldest counsel us to fight for it not with spears only but with axes.' Thus the Spartans answered Hydarnes." - Herodotus

~~~

Wyldman
KAC Member
KAC Member

Post by Wyldman » Tue May 28, 2013 4:40 pm

I've had occassion to utilize an A-frame with a bit of tarp I had on hand to make a field expedient shelter during a storm, and later that night, a hammock, so I didn't have to sleep on the ground while waiting for rescue after nearly breaking an ankle while hunting. West Texas can be quite inhospitable if you lose your head in an emergency.
IN GOD WE TRUST

"That boy's paradigm don't always add up to four nickels...."

Return to “Bushcraft Challenge”