Rifle build - Finished.

The black rifle we all love. All variants welcome. 223/556 300 BLK, 762, 50, AR pistols.... Bring it.
Ian
KAC Member
KAC Member
Has liked: 0
Been liked: 0

Rifle build - Finished.

Post by Ian » Tue Mar 13, 2012 11:11 pm

[QUOTE=Ian;709670]So I was told by a few people to start a build thread for my AR. So here goes.

I picked up my "New" Ar-15 from a un-named guy in Lexington, Ky. Seemed to be a pretty cool guy... I guess your easy going when you know your ****ing someone. Nevertheless my journey had begun. :peace:

I picked it up 3-4-2011 and from there it has been a headache.

First thing I picked up was a rail for it, I got a hell of a deal on a surefire rail a buddy of mine had laying around. Went to get it installed (I couldn't move the delta ring by hand :llama:)

Fit in my toolbox like it belonged there. :teehee:

While the rail was getting installed it wouldn't line up right no matter what was done. The guy installing it quickly realized the gas tube was jacked up pretty bad. So begun my quest... again. A week later and $20 more I got it back and in working order. Picked up the VFG while I was at the gun shop.

While working 6 days most of last year I didn't get alot of time to mess with any of my guns. Picked up a magpul stock and a MBUS rear sight for it so I could actually shoot it.

A couple weeks later I found myself running a errand for my boss to pick up a couple things from the same store that fixed me AR originally. Found a sightmark red-dot for $150 figured it would be a good way to try out a red-dot and if I didn't like it I could always sell it or just put it in a box and leave it.

(Yes I used a shoe to take a picture.)... :llama:

A buddy of mine wanted to take his boy out shooting so we gathered up all our stuff and went out to a friends farm. About 200 rounds into the day with the AR it started double cycling rounds for 1 trigger pull which concerned me. I was fairly new to AR's so I wasn't sure if it could of been due to heat soak or more bad parts.

Also picked up a ERGO rear grip while it was down, dispite the looks its one of the most comfortable grips I've ever held.
not here. :)
Original question thread.

This put me into utter disgust more broken parts on a "new gun." I simply put the gun up for a couple months and bought another lower to shoot with.

Sometime around December my grandfather got sick for the last time and we lost him on the 8th. I decided to finish the rifle considering he always pushed me to do what I loved. So again and for the last time it begun.

I started trolling around in different AR threads looking for interests and found some things posted by Ulwembu. After a quite a bit of PM's between us I decided to do a similar build to his. They both would end up and cheaper versions of the JP low recoil rifles. First thing was to get the bolt shaved down which was done by our very own Cranky.

See thread.
not here :)
All the info I stole from Ulwembu is also found in there.

And once that was done it was just up to finding and ordering parts.
JP Low-Mass Recoil Buffer
BCM Charging Handle Mod-3
JP Standard Gas Block, Aluminum
Magpul GEN 2 Front Sight
Daniel Defense LPK comes with the Magpul extended trigger guard

I got it all out of the package and immediately punched myself in the balls. Totally blanked out on getting a rifle tube and spring to run the full size buffer. :mmph:

Found them both at Orion Arms Corp in Indiana.

Sent it back to Cranky to get the additions installed. While I waited on my new stock to come in. Picked up a ACE skeleton stock after alot of good reviews.

And now its finished for the time being, going to leave the sight mark red dot on it for a bit until I decide to go with a magnified scope or invest in a red-dot with a magnifier so I can try to get some distance at the range.

CC is welcome I know I will get a bit of **** for putting money into a DPMS. Thanks for viewing this is the first time Ive done a build thread and didn't want to ramble to much.[/QUOTE]
"Not all men seek rest and peace; some are born with the spirit of the storm in their blood, restless harbingers of violence and bloodshed, knowing no other path." Robert Howard

Ian
KAC Member
KAC Member

Re: Rifle build - Finished.

Post by Ian » Tue Mar 13, 2012 11:19 pm

Now get yours finished before I get a 2nd done. :llama:
"Not all men seek rest and peace; some are born with the spirit of the storm in their blood, restless harbingers of violence and bloodshed, knowing no other path." Robert Howard

Ian
KAC Member
KAC Member

Post by Ian » Tue Mar 13, 2012 11:27 pm

Forgot to move some stuff over to replace the links, I think cranky is around here somewhere so here is the work he did for me.

Ulwembu Effect

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_njZjA3S ... 3DsDIl8JiN

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=awXU6uN7 ... 3DsDIl8JiN

A few youtube vids
I made more but did not post them. Grind down because slots would have snap carbide tools and bolt harder than high speed tooling.

Ian
KAC Member
KAC Member

Post by Ian » Tue Mar 13, 2012 11:29 pm

Have not had a chance, just got the 3yr old sister out of the hospital today.

More info cont.
Originally Posted by Ulwembu
In the US you can... In the Netherlands as well as long as you don't want to many other guns. Max of 5 overhere and thus I only have 1 AR lower (which is considered the gun). It's a Lamar Multi-Cal. Lamar is a Dutch manufacturer who has the lowers milled in house.

I fitted the lower out with a standard lower parts kit and a 2-stage trigger set from RRA. Stock is an ACE stock and I got a CAA pistol grip installed.

Uppers are not counting as a gun so we can have plenty of those. At the moment I got 3 flat tops:

7,62x39. No idea of the barrel manufacturer (16"). Receiver is a TNW milled receiver. Adjustable steel gas block from Lamar. TNW piston kit. Round smooth handguard by Lamar (thick profile to fit over the piston kit). Sole AR being shot in 7,62x39 in the Netherlands.

.223 Rem. Receiver is a milled TNW. 20" Bull barrel is Double Star. Gasblock is Double Star, Bold and carrier are Double Star. Handguard Double Star. At the moment this upper is at Lamar for some changes. Barrel will be lathed under the handguard to .650 for weight reduction. Barrel will be cut to 18"and threaded and fitted with a JP large profile compensator. Bolt carrier will be lathed a lot thinner to replicate the low mass carrier of JP. Gas block will be changed to adjustable, using the Double Star gas block. I already lightened a rifle buffer for this set up. Hopefully I'll get it all done before KCR and in that case I'll be bringing it with me.

Olympic Arms 9mm upper. Got the original receiver to it but am also busy with a milled TNW receiver to get it to fit.

Got a phone call this afternoon from the gunsmith that the carrier has been lightened 55 grams to 195 grams (no idea how much that is in your language). The low mass carrier from JP is 185 grams so I think it's very close. The mith got to the popint where he was afraid the carrier would be kicked out of the lathe so he stopped.

Very happy with the way it turned out. Still need to pick up the carrier but when I get it.

If this baby shoots the same as the JP15 with CTR-02 upper that I shot at one of the matches, it will feel like shooting a Ruger 10/22!

Got my bolt carrier back today. It's been lightened from 250 gram to 195 gram. I also lightened the buffer to 90 gram so the whole moving part has been lightened as well. Less weight moving, less recoil.

I shot a JP CTR-02 upper on a match and it felt like shooting a 10/22. This one is suppose to act the same.

Do any of you now if you guys have IPSC Rifle type matches in the USA? Does the USPSA organize stuff like that? It's like the rifle shooting in the 3-Gun matches. Check the DVD's of Jerry Miculek (Practical rifle) and you'll see what I mean.
Last edited by Ian on Tue Mar 13, 2012 11:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Ian
KAC Member
KAC Member

Post by Ian » Tue Mar 13, 2012 11:33 pm

Last picture for now:

BlackRifle

Post by BlackRifle » Thu Mar 15, 2012 10:23 am

Cool build. That bolt is... Odd, but I am Intrested to hear how it shoots!
AR-15 addict.
Spikes is my flavor of choice.

"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing." - Edmund Burke

Ian
KAC Member
KAC Member

Post by Ian » Thu Mar 15, 2012 10:33 pm

BlackRifle wrote:Cool build. That bolt is... Odd, but I am Intrested to hear how it shoots!
Me too, I wish it would stop raining!

Return to “AR-15”