Out of spec lower and out of spec takedown pins

The black rifle we all love. All variants welcome. 223/556 300 BLK, 762, 50, AR pistols.... Bring it.
BK Meyers
KAC Member
KAC Member
Has liked: 0
Been liked: 0

Out of spec lower and out of spec takedown pins

Post by BK Meyers » Thu Dec 14, 2017 12:58 pm

I have heard about people finding out-of-spec lowers but until now it had not happened to me. Putting together an Anderson lower the other night and could not get the Safety detent pin to drop into the hole far enough. Turns out the hole had not been drilled completely. Luckily had the proper size drill bit and made the correction.

Next out-of-spec item(s) - using 2 different LPK's from PSA. In both kits the rear takedown pin was oversized just slightly. I fought them thinking the lowers were out of spec (again Anderson lowers). Nope, the outer diameter of the pins was too large. Scrounged some pins from some other LPK's and they popped right in like they were supposed to.

And that's my interesting story for the day!!
God made man.
Samuel Colt made all men equal.
John M. Browning and the 1911 made some men more equal than others.

WLJ
KAC Member
KAC Member
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 109 times

Re: Out of spec lower and out of spec takedown pins

Post by WLJ » Thu Dec 14, 2017 1:06 pm

Seems like virtually every time I hear about an out of spec lower the name Anderson is on it.
There are criminals among us who are both homicidal and incorrigible. Their parents took a shot at civilizing them and failed. Their school teachers took a shot at them and failed. The odds are overwhelming that government welfare programs and penal institutions took a shot at them and failed. If it ever becomes your turn to take a shot at them, don’t fail.

ssracer
KAC Member
KAC Member
Been liked: 55 times

Post by ssracer » Thu Dec 14, 2017 2:04 pm

WLJ wrote:Seems like virtually every time I hear about an out of spec lower the name Anderson is on it.
yup

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Dave1965
KAC Member
KAC Member
Been liked: 23 times

Post by Dave1965 » Thu Dec 14, 2017 4:10 pm

ssracer wrote:
WLJ wrote:Seems like virtually every time I hear about an out of spec lower the name Anderson is on it.
yup

oh how quickly we forget ACCURATE ARMORY tales!!!!

WLJ
KAC Member
KAC Member

Post by WLJ » Thu Dec 14, 2017 4:14 pm

Dave1965 wrote:
ssracer wrote:
yup

Who forgot? Just hear a lot more about Andersons because I would bet there's 50 Andersons out there for every 1 AA, seemed like every one and their brother was/is selling them. Bet you got at least 20,000 stashed away somewhere. If you can remember where they are that is.
There are criminals among us who are both homicidal and incorrigible. Their parents took a shot at civilizing them and failed. Their school teachers took a shot at them and failed. The odds are overwhelming that government welfare programs and penal institutions took a shot at them and failed. If it ever becomes your turn to take a shot at them, don’t fail.

Niceguy
KAC Member
KAC Member
Has liked: 328 times
Been liked: 91 times

Post by Niceguy » Thu Dec 14, 2017 4:35 pm

WLJ wrote:
Dave1965 wrote:
ssracer wrote:
yup

Who forgot? Just hear a lot more about Andersons because I would bet there's 50 Andersons out there for every 1 AA, seemed like every one and their brother was/is selling them. Bet you got at least 20,000 stashed away somewhere. If you can remember where they are that is.
50 to 1?! I bet 5000+ to 1...

Toddstang
Global Mod
Global Mod
Has liked: 145 times
Been liked: 96 times

Post by Toddstang » Thu Dec 14, 2017 4:45 pm

Anderson got me on a lower and LPK , out of spec.

At least they have good CS.

iron369
KAC Member
KAC Member
Has liked: 72 times

Post by iron369 » Thu Dec 14, 2017 4:48 pm

I’m not defending Anderson at all because selling something that is supposed to have a specific tolerance should not be out of spec. But... cranking out very high volumes is what makes them cheap. There’s tons and tons of them out on the market. People don’t complain about all the ones that work just fine. 1% out of spec with Anderson is a whole lot more units than 1% out of spec for Colt. Both have them.
Using Tapatalk

kokopelli
KAC Member
KAC Member
Been liked: 17 times

Post by kokopelli » Thu Dec 14, 2017 5:18 pm

x5 for me...

A few years back when I bought enough parts from Anderson minus barrel to build 5 rifles, all 5 had catastrophic defects.

WLJ
KAC Member
KAC Member

Post by WLJ » Thu Dec 14, 2017 5:52 pm

iron369 wrote:I’m not defending Anderson at all because selling something that is supposed to have a specific tolerance should not be out of spec. But... cranking out very high volumes is what makes them cheap. There’s tons and tons of them out on the market. People don’t complain about all the ones that work just fine. 1% out of spec with Anderson is a whole lot more units than 1% out of spec for Colt. Both have them.
To add to that Anderson was cranking them out by the metric shit ton during the panic(s) of the Obama years.
I wonder how many people got hundreds or thousands squirreled away hoping they were going to be able to flip them for 10x what they paid for them because a Obama/Hillary ban of any thing AR was right around the corner?

iron369
KAC Member
KAC Member
Has liked: 72 times

Post by iron369 » Thu Dec 14, 2017 6:15 pm

WLJ wrote:
iron369 wrote:I’m not defending Anderson at all because selling something that is supposed to have a specific tolerance should not be out of spec. But... cranking out very high volumes is what makes them cheap. There’s tons and tons of them out on the market. People don’t complain about all the ones that work just fine. 1% out of spec with Anderson is a whole lot more units than 1% out of spec for Colt. Both have them.
To add to that Anderson was cranking them out by the metric shit ton during the panic(s) of the Obama years.
I wonder how many people got hundreds or thousands squirreled away hoping they were going to be able to flip them for 10x what they paid for them because a Obama/Hillary ban of any thing AR was right around the corner?
It’s just a matter of time before it happens again.
Using Tapatalk

Whootsinator
Little Butthole
Been liked: 0

Post by Whootsinator » Thu Dec 14, 2017 6:27 pm

Niceguy wrote:
WLJ wrote:
Dave1965 wrote:
ssracer wrote:
yup

50 to 1?! I bet 5000+ to 1...
Absolutely, Anderson has cranked out an insane number of lowers.
"I don't retreat; I kick ass in the other direction."

Niceguy
KAC Member
KAC Member
Has liked: 328 times
Been liked: 91 times

Post by Niceguy » Thu Dec 14, 2017 6:52 pm

iron369 wrote:
WLJ wrote:
It’s just a matter of time before it happens again.
Absolutely agree...

Toddstang
Global Mod
Global Mod
Has liked: 145 times

Post by Toddstang » Thu Dec 14, 2017 7:03 pm

Buy cheap, stack deep.

Dave1965
KAC Member
KAC Member
Been liked: 23 times

Post by Dave1965 » Thu Dec 14, 2017 8:17 pm

centerfire had them for 30 recently. It is hard to resist that.

For many many years, you couldn't get them for anything less than 75 dollars and many times they were more than that

guncrank1
KAC Member
KAC Member
Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 15 times

Post by guncrank1 » Fri Dec 15, 2017 7:23 am

I have seen every make of lower with some issue.

Return to “AR-15”