Upper questions

The black rifle we all love. All variants welcome. 223/556 300 BLK, 762, 50, AR pistols.... Bring it.
Niceguy
KAC Member
KAC Member
Has liked: 328 times
Been liked: 91 times

Upper questions

Post by Niceguy » Wed Oct 04, 2017 12:26 pm

I have a PSA 18 upper that I'm not happy with and plan to buy a better quality lower cost barrel to replace it with. Odin works, BHW, something in the $200-300 price range. Lower end of that the better. Opinions on brands are welcome.
What all do I need other than the barrel when swapping a barrel in an already complete upper? Can I reuse front sight post/gas block, barrel nut, flash hider, stuff like that? If not, what can I reuse or need to replace?

ssracer
KAC Member
KAC Member
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 55 times

Re: Upper questions

Post by ssracer » Wed Oct 04, 2017 12:40 pm

Does it have a pinned gas block? If it does you’ll need to make sure your new barrel is drilled for pins. Aside from that a new crush washer for your flash hider and everything else should be able to be reused.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

iron369
KAC Member
KAC Member
Has liked: 72 times
Been liked: 96 times

Post by iron369 » Wed Oct 04, 2017 1:05 pm

I suggest taking a look at Joe Bob outfitters. Pretty good prices on faxon and ballistic advantage 18” barrels. Also, make sure your gas tube matches the type of barrel or you’ll need another tube.
Using Tapatalk

Gunsmokin
KAC Member
KAC Member
Been liked: 20 times

Post by Gunsmokin » Wed Oct 04, 2017 1:07 pm

Niceguy wrote:I have a PSA 18 upper that I'm not happy with and plan to buy a better quality lower cost barrel to replace it with. Odin works, BHW, something in the $200-300 price range. Lower end of that the better. Opinions on brands are welcome.
What all do I need other than the barrel when swapping a barrel in an already complete upper? Can I reuse front sight post/gas block, barrel nut, flash hider, stuff like that? If not, what can I reuse or need to replace?
If it were me and the barrel from PSA has an A2 fsp, I would just get a barrel, low profile gas block, crush washer and a rail. Just me though.
jackalo626 wrote:Skibble dee dibbledy

jmeister
KAC Member
KAC Member
Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 3 times

Post by jmeister » Wed Oct 04, 2017 1:09 pm

Faxon gunner, love mine. Dimpled for gas block roll pin, lighter than a BA option, sub $200.

Niceguy
KAC Member
KAC Member

Post by Niceguy » Wed Oct 04, 2017 1:12 pm

Gunsmokin wrote:
Niceguy wrote:I have a PSA 18 upper that I'm not happy with and plan to buy a better quality lower cost barrel to replace it with. Odin works, BHW, something in the $200-300 price range. Lower end of that the better. Opinions on brands are welcome.
If it were me and the barrel from PSA has an A2 fsp, I would just get a barrel, low profile gas block, crush washer and a rail. Just me though.
That what it is now. Functions like shit, shoots like shit. First of probably 20 PSA uppers I've had and not been very happy with.

Niceguy
KAC Member
KAC Member

Post by Niceguy » Wed Oct 04, 2017 1:13 pm

ssracer wrote:Does it have a pinned gas block? If it does you’ll need to make sure your new barrel is drilled for pins. Aside from that a new crush washer for your flash hider and everything else should be able to be reused.

No clue. It was a factory assembled PSA upper.

Niceguy
KAC Member
KAC Member

Post by Niceguy » Wed Oct 04, 2017 1:20 pm

iron369 wrote:I suggest taking a look at Joe Bob outfitters. Pretty good prices on faxon and ballistic advantage 18” barrels. Also, make sure your gas tube matches the type of barrel or you’ll need another tube.
2 for Fazon. Looks like I need to look into them also.
jmeister wrote:Faxon gunner, love mine. Dimpled for gas block roll pin, lighter than a BA option, sub $200.

ssracer
KAC Member
KAC Member

Post by ssracer » Wed Oct 04, 2017 1:49 pm

Niceguy wrote:
ssracer wrote:Does it have a pinned gas block? If it does you’ll need to make sure your new barrel is drilled for pins. Aside from that a new crush washer for your flash hider and everything else should be able to be reused.

Is it a low pro gas block now? Might want to check it and make sure it’s installed correctly. If it’s off a bit it could affect the gas operation and may be part of your problem. Most low profile blocks either clamp on or have set screws that go up from the bottom. If the barrel isn’t dimpled for the set screws and they aren’t properly tightened/locktighted it could allow the block to move just enough to lessen the gas getting to the BCG.

shaggy1392
KAC Member
KAC Member
Has liked: 0
Been liked: 1 time

Post by shaggy1392 » Wed Oct 04, 2017 1:57 pm

Ballistic advantage. Check with andro Corp. Their barrels are from ballistic advantage and they will give you a good deal of you email them and ask about the arfcom discount.

shaggy1392
KAC Member
KAC Member
Has liked: 0
Been liked: 1 time

Post by shaggy1392 » Wed Oct 04, 2017 1:58 pm

Ballistic advantage. Check with andro Corp. Their barrels are from ballistic advantage and they will give you a good deal of you email them and ask about the arfcom discount.

Niceguy
KAC Member
KAC Member

Post by Niceguy » Wed Oct 04, 2017 2:08 pm

ssracer wrote:
Niceguy wrote:

Is it a low pro gas block now? Might want to check it and make sure it’s installed correctly. If it’s off a bit it could affect the gas operation and may be part of your problem. Most low profile blocks either clamp on or have set screws that go up from the bottom. If the barrel isn’t dimpled for the set screws and they aren’t properly tightened/locktighted it could allow the block to move just enough to lessen the gas getting to the BCG.

http://palmettostatearmory.com/psa-20-r ... e-kit.html

Not sure how to tell. It was this kit. It's 20", not 18".

ssracer
KAC Member
KAC Member

Post by ssracer » Wed Oct 04, 2017 2:12 pm

Niceguy wrote:
ssracer wrote:
Niceguy wrote:

ok, FSP, not low pro gas block. That should have two pins that go through it on the underside of the barrel to hold it in place (they only come out to one side) so it shouldn’t be able to move.

Niceguy
KAC Member
KAC Member

Post by Niceguy » Wed Oct 04, 2017 2:18 pm

ssracer wrote:
Niceguy wrote:
ssracer wrote:
Niceguy wrote:

ok, FSP, not low pro gas block. That should have two pins that go through it on the underside of the barrel to hold it in place (they only come out to one side) so it shouldn’t be able to move.

So I'd need another front sight post also? And make sure the new barrel is cut for the pins?

iron369
KAC Member
KAC Member
Has liked: 72 times

Post by iron369 » Wed Oct 04, 2017 2:33 pm

Niceguy wrote:
ssracer wrote:
Niceguy wrote:
ssracer wrote:
Niceguy wrote:

So I'd need another front sight post also? And make sure the new barrel is cut for the pins?
You can reuse that fsp. You don’t need to replace it. Just remove the pins underneath it. The pins only go in one way as previously mentioned.
Using Tapatalk

Niceguy
KAC Member
KAC Member

Post by Niceguy » Wed Oct 04, 2017 2:48 pm

Cool, sounds easy enough... Thanks guys!

Dustin
KAC Member
KAC Member
Has liked: 4 times
Been liked: 39 times

Post by Dustin » Wed Oct 04, 2017 2:49 pm

You can reuse everything if you have the same gas system.might need to drill the new barrel for the pins. Or get a clamp on gas block or front sight posts

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
"What country can preserve its liberties if their rulers are not warned from time to time that their people preserve the spirit of resistance. Let them take arms." Thomas Jefferson

Niceguy
KAC Member
KAC Member

Post by Niceguy » Wed Oct 04, 2017 3:02 pm

Easy enough... I'll make sure to get rifle length, .750, and drilled for pins.

Toddstang
Global Mod
Global Mod
Has liked: 145 times

Post by Toddstang » Wed Oct 04, 2017 5:18 pm

KCR MGS is next weekend. Doublestar has some good prices and quality is on par with others.

RecoilSensitive
KAC Member
KAC Member
Been liked: 2 times

Post by RecoilSensitive » Wed Oct 04, 2017 9:43 pm

FAXON GUNNER!!!! My 14.5 is sub MOA all day

"But now," he said, "take your money and a traveler's bag. And if you don't have a sword, sell your cloak and buy one" -Jesus (Luke 22:36 NLT)

guncrank1
KAC Member
KAC Member
Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 15 times

Post by guncrank1 » Thu Oct 05, 2017 9:20 am

Make sure you have the right tools

Niceguy
KAC Member
KAC Member

Post by Niceguy » Thu Oct 05, 2017 10:47 am

Hammer and flat screwdriver with a chip out of it and house paint all over it?

Niceguy
KAC Member
KAC Member

Post by Niceguy » Thu Oct 05, 2017 11:00 am

RecoilSensitive wrote:FAXON GUNNER!!!! My 14.5 is sub MOA all day

Damn good looking barrel. I'm a sight post kinda guy though. Never cared for freefloat rails for whatever reason.

Dustin
KAC Member
KAC Member
Has liked: 4 times
Been liked: 39 times

Upper questions

Post by Dustin » Thu Oct 05, 2017 11:30 am

Faxon barrels the one I have have does not have a long enough journal length to support a front sight. Check the length 1st. But I have the ultra light version too.

"What country can preserve its liberties if their rulers are not warned from time to time that their people preserve the spirit of resistance. Let them take arms." Thomas Jefferson

Niceguy
KAC Member
KAC Member

Post by Niceguy » Thu Oct 05, 2017 12:04 pm

Dustin wrote:Faxon barrels the one I have have does not have a long enough journal length to support a front sight. Check the length 1st. But I have the ultra light version too.

Cool, I'll watch that. This is for a 18-20" A2(ish) rifle. Doesn't to much matter to me if it's heavy or lite, would be nice if it does have a little weight to it though.

Return to “AR-15”