Anderson manufacturing lower help!!

The black rifle we all love. All variants welcome. 223/556 300 BLK, 762, 50, AR pistols.... Bring it.
chrisfraz920
Has liked: 0
Been liked: 0

Anderson manufacturing lower help!!

Post by chrisfraz920 » Thu Jan 05, 2017 2:49 am

Magazine wont catch, its a plinker 30rd 223/556, should I buy a better mag if so what should I buy?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

irishrob
KAC Member
KAC Member
Has liked: 71 times
Been liked: 58 times

Re: Anderson manufacturing lower help!!

Post by irishrob » Thu Jan 05, 2017 4:00 am

Anderson lowers are good to go. I would check to make sure the mag release was installed properly. Make sure there is enough tension to pull the mag catch fully into the mag well.
Some of the other guys on here can probably explain it better than I can.

Also welcome to the forum. You might want to introduce yourself in the introductions thread.

Whootsinator
Little Butthole

Post by Whootsinator » Thu Jan 05, 2017 6:42 am

Don't assume the lower is fine. The lower is PROBABLY fine, but there have been issues with Anderson lowers in the past. The magazine catch itself may be the issue. The magazine may be the issue. Start troubleshooting with the cheapest and easiest thing first.

Inspect all components visually for obvious defects and mechanical function.
Test it with as many known good magazines as you can. If they all work, your mag was bad.
Install a known good magazine catch and use known good magazines. If everything now works, your mag catch was bad.
If those two things don't work, give Anderson a call.
"I don't retreat; I kick ass in the other direction."

BIGC
Has liked: 14 times
Been liked: 3 times

Post by BIGC » Thu Jan 05, 2017 5:50 pm

Pmag or Steel?

My troy will not hook up to Gen3 Pmags but works fine with any other mag.. So it may just be the mag.
1 Corinthians 13:13

And now these three remain: faith, hope and love. But the greatest of these is love.

http://stores.ebay.com/Big-Cs-Survival-Store?_rdc=1

Whootsinator
Little Butthole

Post by Whootsinator » Thu Jan 05, 2017 6:16 pm

If your lower doesn't work with any PMAGs, something to do with your lower and internals is not in spec. Whether that bothers you is another matter.

kokopelli
KAC Member
KAC Member
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 17 times

Post by kokopelli » Thu Jan 05, 2017 6:52 pm

Welcome to the forum, and welcome to trouble with out of spec Anderson!

You can try another GI standard mag, and hopefully that's your problem. I have an Anderson lower that will not accept pMags but GI are fine. On that lower, the buffer retainer pin pocket was machined too far back and batters the buffer.
Another Anderson is a dedicated .22.

I have had so many problems with Anderson parts, including lowers, uppers, lpk parts, and bcg's that I will never use any Anderson part again, EVER.

They have good customer service and will replace defective parts but that is little consolation when you have to tear a build down then wait four weeks for a replacement.

Mike
KAC Member
KAC Member
Been liked: 5 times

Post by Mike » Thu Jan 05, 2017 7:15 pm

I have several rifles that mags have to be seated "firmly" sometimes.

First thing to troubleshoot is whether or not it's the mag or the gun. Take a known mag that doesn't work and try it in someone's rifle that knows mags work. If the same thing happens in another rifle it might be the mag(should be). If it doesn't happen, it's in the lower.
:llama:

Whootsinator
Little Butthole

Post by Whootsinator » Thu Jan 05, 2017 7:36 pm

kokopelli wrote:Welcome to the forum, and welcome to trouble with out of spec Anderson!

You can try another GI standard mag, and hopefully that's your problem. I have an Anderson lower that will not accept pMags but GI are fine. On that lower, the buffer retainer pin pocket was machined too far back and batters the buffer.
Another Anderson is a dedicated .22.

I have had so many problems with Anderson parts, including lowers, uppers, lpk parts, and bcg's that I will never use any Anderson part again, EVER.

They have good customer service and will replace defective parts but that is little consolation when you have to tear a build down then wait four weeks for a replacement.
Have you ever asked if they'd swap them in person? You could drive to the factory in Hebron to get them quicker.... though you'd probably spend as much on gas as you did the lower :roll:

kokopelli
KAC Member
KAC Member
Been liked: 17 times

Post by kokopelli » Thu Jan 05, 2017 9:44 pm

Yeah thank goodness I bought when they were $35!
I built six total AR's with Anderson parts for me and family members over the course of a year...I had an upper with pores, bcg's with no staking, frozen bolts in the carriers, metal burrs, trigger/hammers that didn't work together, take down pins that were too short, and more.

Dave1965
KAC Member
KAC Member
Been liked: 23 times

Post by Dave1965 » Thu Jan 05, 2017 10:01 pm

on the other hand, we have seen that with Accurate Armory stuff as well :shock: :o

ssracer
KAC Member
KAC Member
Been liked: 55 times

Post by ssracer » Thu Jan 05, 2017 10:10 pm

Dave1965 wrote:on the other hand, we have seen that with Accurate Armory stuff as well :shock: :o
not quite to the percentage that Kokopelli had, but there have been a few

chrisfraz920

Post by chrisfraz920 » Thu Jan 05, 2017 10:16 pm

Thanks everyone, I bought 3 mags today 2 promags 5 round and a 20 steel and 1 magpul 30 round and all 3 worked perfect. I noticed that the plinker mag was a little bit thinner and had a lot more flex then the ones i bought.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

son of liberty
KAC Member
KAC Member

Post by son of liberty » Thu Jan 05, 2017 10:56 pm

With all the options out there, never buy crap mags. This was a problem in the 90s but has been basically eradicated. Pmags, lancer, GI mags, get good mags.

Whootsinator
Little Butthole

Post by Whootsinator » Fri Jan 06, 2017 2:31 am

Even GI mags aren't all up to par. SOCOM at one time started tracking failures with certain magazines. Most fared well enough, but three companies' USGI magazines did so poorly SOCOM ordered their use immediately discontinued. Two of those companies don't produce magazines anymore, the other is Center Industries... who makes the new Enhanced Performance Magazine for use with M855A1, and has made a LOT of USGI mags.

It's worth noting the Gen M3 PMAG is the ONLY M4 MAGAZINE AUTHORIZED FOR COMBAT BY THE USMC, in Black and the new Medium Coyote Tan. The Army's Enhanced Performance Magazine is only authorized for training by the USMC.
M4/M16 SERIES/M27 MAGAZINE GUIDANCE UPDATE
GENTEXT/RMKS/
1. PURPOSE. THIS MESSAGE PROVIDES UPDATED GUIDANCE REGARDING THE USE OF MAGAZINES FOR THE M4/M16 SERIES AND M27 INFANTRY AUTOMATIC RIFLE (IAR).
2. BACKGROUND. MARINE CORPS UNITS WILL NO LONGER RECEIVE THE LEGACY MAGAZINE WHEN ORDERING NATIONAL STOCK NUMBER (NSN) 1005-01-561-7200; THIS NSN WILL DEFAULT TO THE U.S. ARMY ENHANCED PERFORMANCE MAGAZINE (EPM), NSN 1005-01- 630-9508. AUTHORIZATION TO USE THE EPM FOR TRAINING USE ONLY WITH THE M4, M4A1, M16A4, AND M27 REMAINS THE SAME.
3. ACTION 3.A. PM IWS AUTHORIZES UNITS TO USE THE FOLLOWING POLYMER MAGAZINES WITH THE M4, M4A1, M16A4, M27, AND M249: NSN 1005-01-615-5169 (BLACK) AND NSN 1005-01-659-7086 (COYOTE TAN). UNITS ARE AUTHORIZED TO REQUISITION THESE MAGAZINES WITH UNIT FUNDS. 3.B. PM IWS WILL UPDATE SL-3S FOR THE M4, M4A1, M16A4, AND M27 TO LIST THE ABOVE POLYMER MAGAZINE NSNS. NO OTHER POLYMER MAGAZINES ARE AUTHORIZED FOR USE.
4. IOT PROVIDE IMMEDIATE AND SUSTAINING ACCESS TO ALL USERS, A PUBLICATION CONTROL NUMBER (PCN) WILL BE ASSIGNED TO THIS MESSAGE FOR ACCESS VIA THE WEAPONS SYSTEM ID NUMBER SEARCH IN SL-1-2.//
That's not to say there aren't other great magazines out there... but a LOT of money has been spent on testing magazines, very recently, and the conclusion made by the USMC was that the GEN M3 PMAG is the best out there.

Dave1965
KAC Member
KAC Member
Been liked: 23 times

Post by Dave1965 » Fri Jan 06, 2017 7:42 am

ssracer wrote:
Dave1965 wrote:on the other hand, we have seen that with Accurate Armory stuff as well :shock: :o
not quite to the percentage that Kokopelli had, but there have been a few

Anderson produces hundreds of thousands if not more and has certain percentage bad

Keith produces 100 and has certain percentage bad.

Its probably close to the same.

BIGC
Has liked: 14 times
Been liked: 3 times

Post by BIGC » Fri Jan 06, 2017 8:00 am

Whootsinator wrote:If your lower doesn't work with any PMAGs, something to do with your lower and internals is not in spec. Whether that bothers you is another matter.
Only with Gen3 pmags. It was a known issue when I bought it. It works fine with Gen2 pmags.
1 Corinthians 13:13

And now these three remain: faith, hope and love. But the greatest of these is love.

http://stores.ebay.com/Big-Cs-Survival-Store?_rdc=1

Return to “AR-15”