6.5 grendel failure to extract

The black rifle we all love. All variants welcome. 223/556 300 BLK, 762, 50, AR pistols.... Bring it.
CCRBUM
KAC Member
KAC Member
Has liked: 0
Been liked: 0

6.5 grendel failure to extract

Post by CCRBUM » Thu Jun 15, 2017 8:20 am

Hey guys wanted to get some thoughts on this. I just finished a 6.5 grendel build with a 18" inter-mid Odin works barrel with Odin works bcg. Upper is an Anderson. I've got a budget free float rail on it. Everything assembled and fit without issue. At the range I had wolf steel cases ammo and horned black brass cases ammo. Hornady cycles without a lot of issue. Wolf struggles. At first I couldn't get any if the wolf to cycle. It would fire, fail to extract and then double feed the next round. So is lock the bolt back, drop the mag, send the bolt home and then the case would be stuck. I figured maybe the coating on the wolf ammo? Polished off from the shoulder to the bullet so it was just the steel. Made sure the gas block was aligned and opened all the way. Cleaned everything, lubed the hell of our the bcg and tried again. Zero issue with brass but the steel was still not extracting. Same problem as before and case would still be stuck. Tried something different and did a controlled release of the bolt with the charging handle. When I do this it'll grab the steel case and pluck it out without issue.. no sticking.. so at this point I'm thinking maybe a headspace issue or extractor issue? Bolt will lock back if I single shot it so I don't think it's a gas problem and it's cycling brass just fine. I've got an email in to Odin works to see what They say. I'm gonna order a BCM extractor spring upgrade kit and try that and see what is up but I know other guys are shooting the same barrel with wolf just fine.

Wyldman
KAC Member
KAC Member

Re: 6.5 grendel failure to extract

Post by Wyldman » Thu Jun 15, 2017 2:19 pm

Based on what you described, I would agree that either the extractor spring is too weak or the extractor has a burr or is shaped incorrectly.

I wasn't even aware the the 6.5 round was available in steel case, I've never seen any advertised.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk
IN GOD WE TRUST

"That boy's paradigm don't always add up to four nickels...."

Whootsinator
Little Butthole

Post by Whootsinator » Thu Jun 15, 2017 2:30 pm

Textbook case for a heavier buffer and SOPMOD extractor upgrade. I have H and H2 buffers and a new, solid BCG you can borrow to try out. I'll need the H2 back relatively quickly, but no rush on returning the H.
"I don't retreat; I kick ass in the other direction."

CCRBUM
KAC Member
KAC Member

Post by CCRBUM » Thu Jun 15, 2017 2:47 pm

Already have a heavy buffer in it so extractor is gonna be the next one I think. I had the 5.56 bolt and the 6.5 bolt out messing with and the 6.5 extractor is much easier to manipulate.

Wildman - aimsurplus.com has lots of wolf steel cases 6.5 in stock. Cheap too!

CCRBUM
KAC Member
KAC Member

Post by CCRBUM » Thu Jun 15, 2017 4:17 pm

Ordered the extractor spring kit from BCM so I'll update when it arrives

guncrank1
KAC Member
KAC Member
Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 15 times

Post by guncrank1 » Fri Jun 16, 2017 9:10 pm

I think your main problem is steel case will stick in some rifles with a tighter tolerance stack

CCRBUM
KAC Member
KAC Member

Post by CCRBUM » Sat Jun 17, 2017 5:59 pm

Update: installed the BCM extractor spring kit and that seemed to have solved the problem. But does seem to be tighter with the steel than then brass.

Return to “AR-15”