AR-15 chambered in 7.62x39 anyone?

The black rifle we all love. All variants welcome. 223/556 300 BLK, 762, 50, AR pistols.... Bring it.
ProCroation
KAC Member
KAC Member
Has liked: 0
Been liked: 3 times

AR-15 chambered in 7.62x39 anyone?

Post by ProCroation » Sun Nov 27, 2016 4:12 am

So I just got wind (no pun) of the Windham Weaponry AR that is chambered in 7.62x39 and it's got me thinking I want one. Despite the fact the magazine is unique, I'm interested because since I already have an AK...it would keep my caliber variations/purchases to a minimum. I think we all know how picky I am about introducing new calibers into my arsenal. It's like pulling teeth for me.

I mean...I'm even currently considering switching all my personal 12 gauges to 20 gauges just because my wife will only shoot 20 gauge, so it would eliminate the hassle of buying her shells and then me shells. I'm picky, especially when it comes to ammo that I use a lot of. Semi auto pistol/rifle ammo and shotgun shells are quick spenders for me, so it makes sense to only have one size. Plus if shit really hit the fan, there would be minimal confusion when reaching into a box, to load up on the fly. The only time I'm forgiving toward another caliber is if it's a bolt gun. I'll never need much more than 20 to 60 rounds at a time with a bolt.

Pros:

*I'm thinking (with a 10 round magazine of course) I can deer hunt with it easily, as most of my shots are well under 200 yards and it's definitely a capable caliber in that regard. (not that I think the .223 isn't)
*It will operate in a familiar manner to me...same controls in general
*I already have TONS of ammo for this
*I already got rid of my 5.56 AR, so I need something else
*Already know it fits my gun safe nicely
*It's optics ready...(which as a personal aside...I don't like any optics on the AK I have, due to how far forward they have to sit)
*It's Windham...which has mostly great reviews
*Will only make it an easier transition when I add an SKS to the collection

Cons:

*Dirtier ammo than 5.56 supposedly?
*Magazines are unique and sometimes hard to find
*Not as accurate at longer distances as 5.56
*Not as flat of a trajectory

I mean...I THINK I want this. Anyone have any reason not to do it? Can you add any cons that I overlooked? I'm considering my next purchase and this is in the top 3 for me. The others are a Savage 220f slug gun and a bolt .308/.270/.243...so steer me toward one of those first or tell me why not to get this Windham AR...

http://www.guns.com/2014/08/25/introduc ... src-ar-15/
A cop stopped me on the street and said "we're looking for a mugger who fits your description" , so I said "okay I'll do it".

jackalo626
Global Mod
Global Mod
Has liked: 20 times
Been liked: 22 times

Re: AR-15 chambered in 7.62x39 anyone?

Post by jackalo626 » Sun Nov 27, 2016 10:13 am

The round is what the round is. Bigger harder hitting at distances you don't have to squint to see and cheaper is my reason for liking 7.62. Dirty ammo never bothered me, it takes a long time to make a gun so dirty that it would effect it's function and cleaning a gun takes a minute in reality. I never liked the mixed ak/ar due to all the compromise of each that makes them another oddball with flaws. The mag was always the immediate no from me, why not make it to take the ak mags we already have since it's purpose is to consolidate calibers and accessories? The idea sounds nice until you apply reality to it and have to manufacture it. It to me is like saying we want the handling of a Porsche and the cargo capacity of a semi so let's put good suspension on a semi, it doesn't make it a big Porsche or handle the same but I get the premise. My end 2 cents is get what you think fits your wants list and enjoy it.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk

Tyler
KAC Member
KAC Member
Has liked: 2 times

Post by Tyler » Sun Nov 27, 2016 12:44 pm

Height Supremacist

RecoilSensitive
KAC Member
KAC Member
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 2 times

Post by RecoilSensitive » Sun Nov 27, 2016 2:22 pm

Yep I would go with the PSA receiver. Lets you use a lot of the am mags. There are a few it is picky with from what I see on arfcom.

Then build an upper. A lot of people make bolts and barrels so you could do it your way.
"But now," he said, "take your money and a traveler's bag. And if you don't have a sword, sell your cloak and buy one" -Jesus (Luke 22:36 NLT)

son of liberty
KAC Member
KAC Member
Been liked: 0

Post by son of liberty » Sun Nov 27, 2016 4:11 pm

Midway has complete upper for 275 right now.

With that said, keep x39 in an AK. Nothing wrong with an Ak, in fact with some of the parts avalible now there is no real benifit of one vs the other. If you want to run x39 get AK, if 556 get AR 15

ProCroation
KAC Member
KAC Member

Post by ProCroation » Sun Nov 27, 2016 5:05 pm

jackalo626 wrote:The round is what the round is. Bigger harder hitting at distances you don't have to squint to see and cheaper is my reason for liking 7.62. Dirty ammo never bothered me, it takes a long time to make a gun so dirty that it would effect it's function and cleaning a gun takes a minute in reality. I never liked the mixed ak/ar due to all the compromise of each that makes them another oddball with flaws. The mag was always the immediate no from me, why not make it to take the ak mags we already have since it's purpose is to consolidate calibers and accessories? The idea sounds nice until you apply reality to it and have to manufacture it. It to me is like saying we want the handling of a Porsche and the cargo capacity of a semi so let's put good suspension on a semi, it doesn't make it a big Porsche or handle the same but I get the premise. My end 2 cents is get what you think fits your wants list and enjoy it.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk
I've never seen a gun get dirty enough to stop functioning, so that's why I said "dirtier ammo supposedly".

I'm not excited about switching to another magazine BUTTTTT...as long as the calibers are the same, I don't mind. Maybe I just need a really nice shooter AK, decent enough for hunting...or just an SKS lol. I just don't want 5.56 or .223 anymore.
A cop stopped me on the street and said "we're looking for a mugger who fits your description" , so I said "okay I'll do it".

ProCroation
KAC Member
KAC Member

Post by ProCroation » Sun Nov 27, 2016 5:11 pm

son of liberty wrote:Midway has complete upper for 275 right now.

With that said, keep x39 in an AK. Nothing wrong with an Ak, in fact with some of the parts avalible now there is no real benifit of one vs the other. If you want to run x39 get AK, if 556 get AR 15
I can't imagine deer hunting with my AK...but you know...with a 10 round mag, maybe that's something I could consider. I just prefer to hunt with an optic that utilizes crosshairs, not red dots. My AK would be a pain to mount a scope on. (AMD-65 actually). So it sounds like the conclusion I'm at is...

I don't need an AR15
I do want 7.62x39

So should I scope my AMD, purchase a 2nd AK for hunting, or just grab an SKS for hunting? Blah. I wish I weren't so picky haha.

son of liberty
KAC Member
KAC Member
Been liked: 0

Post by son of liberty » Sun Nov 27, 2016 10:49 pm

With whats avalible now, the AK is scoped pretty easy. You should probably look around some to see what options are avalible.

I feel that the Factory AK scope mount is far better the the SKS mounts avalible.

Ya buy a new AK.

ProCroation
KAC Member
KAC Member

Post by ProCroation » Mon Nov 28, 2016 3:10 am

son of liberty wrote:With whats avalible now, the AK is scoped pretty easy. You should probably look around some to see what options are avalible.

I feel that the Factory AK scope mount is far better the the SKS mounts avalible.

Ya buy a new AK.
Probably will get another AK and scope it. Thanks.

Return to “AR-15”