DIY Gas-Buster Charging Handle

The black rifle we all love. All variants welcome. 223/556 300 BLK, 762, 50, AR pistols.... Bring it.
Whootsinator
Little Butthole
Has liked: 0
Been liked: 0

DIY Gas-Buster Charging Handle

Post by Whootsinator » Wed Oct 26, 2016 4:59 pm

Since suppressors are all the rage, I'm sure this can help someone. Regardless of what kind of suppressor you have or how it's supposed to handle gas, this will reduce gas blowback.
http://www.03designgroup.com/technotes/ ... ing-handle

I learned this technique close to a decade ago on an online forum. I don't recall who gave me the information, unfortunately I can't give credit where credit is due. I wrote the following review a few years later because I had gotten so many questions about the purpose of the "red stuff" on my charging handle.

Over the years many guys have asked me what the "red stuff" is in the gap on the charging handles closest to the upper receiver.

If you look at the charging handle on an AR15 from the top of the gun you will notice that there is a half circle shaped gap where the charging handle fits up agains the upper receiver.

If you look at this same area from the side, you will notice that there is a space between the charging handle and the upper receiver. This is where a majority of excess lube, gases, and debris escape out of the upper receiver and are directed into the shooters face.

By filling the half circle gap on the charging handle with RTV silicone you can make a cheap and very effective "gas buster" for your charging handle, and this prevents lube, gases, and debris from being blown back into your face.
Details at link.

Additional tip - THOROUGHLY degrease your charging handle, and use resizing wax on the upper receiver as a release agent.
"I don't retreat; I kick ass in the other direction."

samb.

Re: DIY Gas-Buster Charging Handle

Post by samb. » Wed Oct 26, 2016 6:59 pm

I did this on my 300blk, works great. You can buy black sealant as well, some researching will help figure the brand and what to buy. Ill add a pic later when I get time. Now that I think about it, I did it to all my SBR uppers (300blk 22lr and 5.56 not sure why I did it to the 22lr.)
Last edited by samb. on Wed Oct 26, 2016 8:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Whootsinator
Little Butthole

Post by Whootsinator » Wed Oct 26, 2016 7:35 pm

The linked article mentions that black is available, red was just what he grabbed.
"I don't retreat; I kick ass in the other direction."

ssracer
KAC Member
KAC Member
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 55 times

Post by ssracer » Wed Oct 26, 2016 8:08 pm

I did this on my gas buster ch...still get gas in the face..lol

Dustin
KAC Member
KAC Member
Has liked: 4 times
Been liked: 39 times

Post by Dustin » Wed Oct 26, 2016 8:49 pm

Samb solution worked great when I shot it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
"What country can preserve its liberties if their rulers are not warned from time to time that their people preserve the spirit of resistance. Let them take arms." Thomas Jefferson

Return to “AR-15”