School me on AR pistols

The black rifle we all love. All variants welcome. 223/556 300 BLK, 762, 50, AR pistols.... Bring it.
PDM
KAC Member
KAC Member
Has liked: 89 times
Been liked: 47 times

School me on AR pistols

Post by PDM » Fri Sep 30, 2016 4:26 pm

Dad and I are thinking about building a couple of 223 pistols for HD guns since prices are good right now.

I see everything from 7-11.5" barrels. What gives good reliability, accuracy, and velocity? Not likely to be suppressed any time soon.

Is a carbine length system less finicky than pistol?

I understand most of the legal aspects. How are assembled lowers sold if they come with a m4 stock? Are they sold as a rifle, or can they be used for a pistol (obviously changing the buffer tube and stock)?
"The unlimited power of the sword is not in the hands of either the federal or the state governments, but, where I trust in God it will ever remain, in the hands of the people."
Tench Coxe

Dustin
KAC Member
KAC Member
Has liked: 4 times
Been liked: 40 times

Re: School me on AR pistols

Post by Dustin » Fri Sep 30, 2016 4:45 pm

I think if they come with a stock they are rifle. The real question is what are they marked on the 4473.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
"What country can preserve its liberties if their rulers are not warned from time to time that their people preserve the spirit of resistance. Let them take arms." Thomas Jefferson

Dustin
KAC Member
KAC Member
Has liked: 4 times
Been liked: 40 times

Post by Dustin » Fri Sep 30, 2016 4:48 pm

I have had no problem with pistol length gas system. No opening the port or anything.

I like 7.5 barrel over just a choice the weight is better.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
"What country can preserve its liberties if their rulers are not warned from time to time that their people preserve the spirit of resistance. Let them take arms." Thomas Jefferson

PDM
KAC Member
KAC Member

Post by PDM » Fri Sep 30, 2016 7:09 pm

"The unlimited power of the sword is not in the hands of either the federal or the state governments, but, where I trust in God it will ever remain, in the hands of the people."
Tench Coxe

bigelowe
KAC Member
KAC Member
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 0

Post by bigelowe » Fri Sep 30, 2016 7:22 pm

I just built my own 5.56/223 pistol. I went with a 10.3 Hansen profile barrel from Ballistic advantage. 10.5 - 11.5 seemed to be the most reliable and popular from my research. Had a stripped lower in the safe, bought a kak blade stock and buffer tube along with an ALG 10" rail. Still waiting to get to the range and try it out.
Not everyone can be a winner or get a trophy, we are raising a society full of pu**ies

2nd place is the 1st place loser.

Currently looking for that unicorn.

Niceguy
KAC Member
KAC Member
Has liked: 327 times
Been liked: 92 times

Post by Niceguy » Fri Sep 30, 2016 8:52 pm

I've had 2 10.5" PSA uppers and they both functioned perfect. INSANELY loud... Great shooting and accurate.

PDM
KAC Member
KAC Member

Post by PDM » Fri Sep 30, 2016 9:16 pm

That's funny. I'm thinking either PSA upper or a Ballistic Advantage and ALG rail. Looks like 10.5 is the perfect compromise length for performance
Tench Coxe

PDM
KAC Member
KAC Member

School me on AR pistols

Post by PDM » Fri Sep 30, 2016 9:17 pm

The PSA assembled lowers are a good deal right now. Need to find out if I can get one as a pistol, but I bet Dustin is right
Tench Coxe

Marcus
Founding Father
Founding Father
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 62 times

Post by Marcus » Fri Sep 30, 2016 9:22 pm

PDM wrote:The PSA assembled lowers are a good deal right now. Need to find out if I can get one as a pistol, but I bet Dustin is right
It isn't that big of a deal to mark it as 'other' is it?
Mandy wrote:I meant Marcus post, he's like ninja slicer, he's nice he's nice he's nice, ....SWISH... he cuts your effin head off ;)

PDM
KAC Member
KAC Member

Post by PDM » Fri Sep 30, 2016 9:23 pm

That's my question. Can it be?
Tench Coxe

PDM
KAC Member
KAC Member

Post by PDM » Fri Sep 30, 2016 9:24 pm

Maybe I just call PSA. Lol
Tench Coxe

iron369
KAC Member
KAC Member
Has liked: 71 times
Been liked: 96 times

School me on AR pistols

Post by iron369 » Fri Sep 30, 2016 9:46 pm

If I'm not mistaken, a pistol can become a rifle but a lower that is built as a rifle can never be changed to a pistol lower. Most lower receivers are not marked. Some specifically say pistol lower receiver for states that need it identified as such. Best course of action is to buy a stripped lower and build it as a pistol. Only with a pistol lower can you possess an upper with a barrel less than 16". Then, after a stamp is approved, sbr it. DO NOT Convert an existing rifle lower to a pistol.
Using Tapatalk

Wyldman
KAC Member
KAC Member
Has liked: 0

Post by Wyldman » Fri Sep 30, 2016 10:46 pm

If it comes with a stock, it's a rifle. Do yourself a favor and get a stripped lower marked either pistol, multi, or other.

Crush, kill, mangle, maim, destroy.
IN GOD WE TRUST

"That boy's paradigm don't always add up to four nickels...."

richief
Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 1 time

Post by richief » Fri Sep 30, 2016 11:20 pm

Yep, avoid buying a short barreled upper till you have an other lower. Also in case you don't know yet, a vertical forward grip is a no go on a pistol.
Trying to think of any other snares, will post up if I do.

PDM
KAC Member
KAC Member

Post by PDM » Fri Sep 30, 2016 11:38 pm

Thanks all

Doubt I'll use one, but VFG only makes it AOW if it's under 26"
Tench Coxe

guncrank1
KAC Member
KAC Member
Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 15 times

Post by guncrank1 » Sat Oct 01, 2016 10:40 am

The info on complete lowers is completely wrong

It is a firearm- neither a handgun or a long gun

Does not matter if it has a stock or not.

guncrank1
KAC Member
KAC Member

Post by guncrank1 » Sat Oct 01, 2016 10:50 am

iron369 wrote:If I'm not mistaken, a pistol can become a rifle but a lower that is built as a rifle can never be changed to a pistol lower. Most lower receivers are not marked. Some specifically say pistol lower receiver for states that need it identified as such. Best course of action is to buy a stripped lower and build it as a pistol. Only with a pistol lower can you possess an upper with a barrel less than 16". Then, after a stamp is approved, sbr it. DO NOT Convert an existing rifle lower to a pistol.
Correct ,rifle is rifle always
Pistol to rifle and rifle to pistol

A lower is a firearm, with or without a stock or guts

Correct , a rifle to pistol is a illegal SBR.

guncrank1
KAC Member
KAC Member

Post by guncrank1 » Sat Oct 01, 2016 10:55 am

richief wrote:Yep, avoid buying a short barreled upper till you have an other lower. Also in case you don't know yet, a vertical forward grip is a no go on a pistol.
Trying to think of any other snares, will post up if I do.

Again not exactly correct, a rifle with a extra upper with a less than 16 barrel is not neccerarly bad. The almighty " intent rule" would apply with the Feds.

A VFG on a handgun makes it a AOW which can be legally made by a 07 and formed 3 or by a private citizen 200.00 and a form 1.

But if pistol has a OAL equal or greater than 26 inch a , VFG is legal as the pistol would not be a AOW with the VFG attached.

PDM
KAC Member
KAC Member

Post by PDM » Sat Oct 01, 2016 11:22 am

Thanks CW

Is "easily concealed" the difference between handgun and pistol? Is that just defined by the 26" length?
Tench Coxe

Rhyatt
Has liked: 0

Post by Rhyatt » Sat Oct 01, 2016 2:04 pm

guncrank1 wrote:The info on complete lowers is completely wrong

It is a firearm- neither a handgun or a long gun

Does not matter if it has a stock or not.
That has been my experience.

For all of the lowers I have bought over the years the form 4473 had them listed as a firearm or other. Regardless of the furniture. A receiver can become anything so that is how they classify it. That is why you can't buy one out of state without transferring to an FFL, unlike a long gun, even if they mark it as a rifle on the 4473 (which they shouldn't). I have lived most of my life in border towns and the handgun/receiver thing becomes quite the pain when you find something in the next state but don't want to hassle with shipping and transfer fees, which often make a good deal just an 'ok' deal.

Return to “AR-15”