S&W M&P 15/22 Rifles Banned at Appleseed Events

The black rifle we all love. All variants welcome. 223/556 300 BLK, 762, 50, AR pistols.... Bring it.
WLJ
KAC Member
KAC Member
Has liked: 11 times
Been liked: 110 times

S&W M&P 15/22 Rifles Banned at Appleseed Events

Post by WLJ » Fri Sep 16, 2016 8:40 am

Rut Roh

BREAKING: S&W M&P 15/22 Rifles BANNED at Appleseed Events Due to Run Away and Out of Battery Firing
http://www.thefirearmblog.com/blog/2016 ... ry-firing/
To: All Appleseed Instructors

Subject: TEMPORARY BAN ON SMITH & WESSON M&P 15/22 USE AT APPLESEED

EFFECTIVE IMMEDIATELY, THE USE OF SMITH AND WESSON M&P 15/22’S AT AN APPLESEED IS HEREBY BANNED UNTIL SMITH & WESSON FORMALLY INVESTIGATES THE PROBLEM AND ISSUES AN OFFICIAL CORRECTIVE ACTION. THE AOC WILL NOTIFY THE CADRE WHEN THIS BAN IS LIFTED.

The AOC has received a rash of reports regarding safety issues with the Smith & Wesson M&P 15/22, including a shooter getting injured as a result of an out-of-battery discharge (see reports below).

As responsible Instructors, we have a duty to maintain safety at our events. If we know a rifle to be potentially unsafe, we shouldn’t allow it on the line at all.

At this time the least risk course of action would be to exclude the Smith & Wesson M&P 15/22 from future events until Smith & Wesson formally investigates the problem and issues an official corrective action.
There are criminals among us who are both homicidal and incorrigible. Their parents took a shot at civilizing them and failed. Their school teachers took a shot at them and failed. The odds are overwhelming that government welfare programs and penal institutions took a shot at them and failed. If it ever becomes your turn to take a shot at them, don’t fail.

ssracer
KAC Member
KAC Member
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 56 times

Re: S&W M&P 15/22 Rifles Banned at Appleseed Events

Post by ssracer » Fri Sep 16, 2016 9:18 am

Damn

PDM
KAC Member
KAC Member
Has liked: 89 times
Been liked: 47 times

Post by PDM » Fri Sep 16, 2016 9:41 am

I understand the issues with poorly held pins, but what the heck is an out of battery discharge? Not interested in toecutter's definition. Lol
"The unlimited power of the sword is not in the hands of either the federal or the state governments, but, where I trust in God it will ever remain, in the hands of the people."
Tench Coxe

Dave1965
KAC Member
KAC Member
Has liked: 0
Been liked: 23 times

Post by Dave1965 » Fri Sep 16, 2016 10:13 am

PDM wrote:I understand the issues with poorly held pins, but what the heck is an out of battery discharge? Not interested in toecutter's definition. Lol

DD (matt) talks about this mostly with the M9 Beretta's. When the bolt (in the 15/22 case) is not seated all the way forward before the round discharges or in the M9 issue would likely be where the slide has not moved all the way forward (and closed over the round entirely) before the round fires.

If you read the events of one of the most recent police shootings (Ferguson MO I think) where the argument was that the assailant had pushed the slide of the officers automatic pistol partially back and took it out of battery so it would not fire while the officer was seated in the car. In most automatic firearms, the round has to fully be seated in the barrel and the breach (to use the artillery analogy) fully closed to fire.

PDM
KAC Member
KAC Member
Has liked: 89 times
Been liked: 47 times

Post by PDM » Fri Sep 16, 2016 10:20 am

Ok, so basically the same trigger issues. Usually if the hammer rides the bolt it doesn't have enough power to set the round off.
"The unlimited power of the sword is not in the hands of either the federal or the state governments, but, where I trust in God it will ever remain, in the hands of the people."
Tench Coxe

guncrank1
KAC Member
KAC Member
Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 15 times

Post by guncrank1 » Fri Sep 16, 2016 10:46 am

Without seeing a malfunction
I would say it sounds like the pin is allowing the hammer to override the primary sear.

Return to “AR-15”