DPMS g2 recon 308?

The black rifle we all love. All variants welcome. 223/556 300 BLK, 762, 50, AR pistols.... Bring it.
CCRBUM
KAC Member
KAC Member
Has liked: 0
Been liked: 0

DPMS g2 recon 308?

Post by CCRBUM » Tue Mar 29, 2016 11:56 am

Thoughts on them? Any good? Save more? Looking for something in 308 as a result as the dude backing out on the m1a deal.... I can get the recon g2 for around $1k through work... My other option is to just go back to a bolt gun... It'll be used for plinking and hunting. I know the g2 is an odd ball on size so I'm limited with what I can do and I'm not sure what I think about a 16" 308.

DDgunslinger

Re: DPMS g2 recon 308?

Post by DDgunslinger » Tue Mar 29, 2016 12:04 pm

Personally, I'd keep saving and invest in a better AR10 platform... or consider building one. DPMS has never been high on the list for quality products.

Next
KAC Member
KAC Member
Has liked: 8 times
Been liked: 43 times

Post by Next » Tue Mar 29, 2016 12:33 pm

There is an M1A Socom at everything concealed carry for a little over $1,100 with several mags. I would rather have the M1A myself over a 308 AR.

ssracer
KAC Member
KAC Member
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 56 times

Post by ssracer » Tue Mar 29, 2016 12:47 pm

M1A or SCAR 17 would be my choices for a semi auto 308

Niceguy
KAC Member
KAC Member
Has liked: 327 times
Been liked: 92 times

Post by Niceguy » Tue Mar 29, 2016 1:03 pm

ssracer wrote:M1A or SCAR 17 would be my choices for a semi auto 308
I agree with this. It would be a hard choice, I absolutely love them both.

CCRBUM
KAC Member
KAC Member

Post by CCRBUM » Tue Mar 29, 2016 4:22 pm

I kinda figured that would be the answer. Guess I'm gonna save a little more. I really want a loaded m1a.

PDM
KAC Member
KAC Member
Has liked: 89 times
Been liked: 47 times

Post by PDM » Tue Mar 29, 2016 6:07 pm

Check out Midwest industries
"The unlimited power of the sword is not in the hands of either the federal or the state governments, but, where I trust in God it will ever remain, in the hands of the people."
Tench Coxe

PDM
KAC Member
KAC Member
Has liked: 89 times
Been liked: 47 times

Post by PDM » Tue Mar 29, 2016 6:08 pm

I wouldn't hesitate on a g2 though
"The unlimited power of the sword is not in the hands of either the federal or the state governments, but, where I trust in God it will ever remain, in the hands of the people."
Tench Coxe

Wyldman
KAC Member
KAC Member

Post by Wyldman » Tue Mar 29, 2016 6:16 pm

I am not a fan of the DPMS pattern .308 rifles, and abhor having them called AR-10 rifles. The only true AR-10 is made by Armalite and is one hell of a rifle, able to all of the things claimed by the posers.

I have 2 AR-10 rifles, and both have served and functioned extremely well for me for many years, taking many deer, pigs, and even a few antelope years ago.

I use 168gr bullets loaded over IMR 4320 powder in Lake City military brass and magnum rifle primers. The only rifle I have ever fired that is more consistantly accurate than either of the AR-10 is my Ruger M77 RSI turn bolt rifle.

The only negative I could relate about either of them is that relative to my bolt gun, they are heavy, and though many would complain about it, I have carried them for so many years, it doesn't bother me, even now after suffering my back problems for so many years. The wieght actually helps with the recoil from the 7.62x51, along with the recoil spring and gas system, they are actually very soft shooting rifles, compared to my M77.

Fire suit on, flame away, non-believers.

Crush, kill, mangle, maim, destroy.
IN GOD WE TRUST

"That boy's paradigm don't always add up to four nickels...."

jackalo626
Global Mod
Global Mod
Has liked: 20 times
Been liked: 22 times

Post by jackalo626 » Tue Mar 29, 2016 6:30 pm

Wyldman wrote:I am not a fan of the DPMS pattern .308 rifles, and abhor having them called AR-10 rifles. The only true AR-10 is made by Armalite and is one hell of a rifle, able to all of the things claimed by the posers.

I have 2 AR-10 rifles, and both have served and functioned extremely well for me for many years, taking many deer, pigs, and even a few antelope years ago.

I use 168gr bullets loaded over IMR 4320 powder in Lake City military brass and magnum rifle primers. The only rifle I have ever fired that is more consistantly accurate than either of the AR-10 is my Ruger M77 RSI turn bolt rifle.

The only negative I could relate about either of them is that relative to my bolt gun, they are heavy, and though many would complain about it, I have carried them for so many years, it doesn't bother me, even now after suffering my back problems for so many years. The wieght actually helps with the recoil from the 7.62x51, along with the recoil spring and gas system, they are actually very soft shooting rifles, compared to my M77.

I don't believe you, carry on.

Gunsmokin
KAC Member
KAC Member
Been liked: 20 times

Post by Gunsmokin » Tue Mar 29, 2016 6:39 pm

Wyldman wrote:I am not a fan of the DPMS pattern .308 rifles, and abhor having them called AR-10 rifles. The only true AR-10 is made by Armalite and is one hell of a rifle, able to all of the things claimed by the posers.

Settle down Francis!

:llama:
jackalo626 wrote:Skibble dee dibbledy

Geno
KAC Member
KAC Member
Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 15 times

Post by Geno » Tue Mar 29, 2016 6:46 pm

+1 on the Armalite AR 10. I have an AR 10 A4. 16 inch barrel and really like it. Not terribly heavy, very accurate, and just plain fun. I have a 3-9 ×40 bushnell with holdover marks. Easily within use for deer and possibly a groundhog out to 300 yards +. The DPMS G2 is near size and weight but not sure about accuracy. I used to have a DPMS 308 with a heavy 24 inch barrel that was a good shooter if you weren't going to carry it too much. The newer Armalite AR10 mag wells are made to fit pmags, easy to find and good mags. Mine uses the older metal mags.
Hold out for a real AR10, you won't be disappointed. Shoot it this summer and no game animal will be safe from you!
I know not what the future holds, but I know Who holds the future.

Neither Welfare nor political office were intended to be a career path!

Wyldman
KAC Member
KAC Member

Post by Wyldman » Tue Mar 29, 2016 6:55 pm

jackalo626 wrote:

Yes you do, or you wouldn't have even bothered to respond.

Besides, you know I'm right.

IN GOD WE TRUST

"That boy's paradigm don't always add up to four nickels...."

jackalo626
Global Mod
Global Mod
Has liked: 20 times
Been liked: 22 times

Post by jackalo626 » Tue Mar 29, 2016 6:56 pm

Wyldman wrote:
jackalo626 wrote:

Yes you do, or you wouldn't have even bothered to respond.

Besides, you know I'm right.

You said "non believers" so I spoke up for them lol.

CCRBUM
KAC Member
KAC Member

Post by CCRBUM » Tue Mar 29, 2016 8:19 pm

Next wrote:There is an M1A Socom at everything concealed carry for a little over $1,100 with several mags. I would rather have the M1A myself over a 308 AR.

Where is that?

Gunsmokin
KAC Member
KAC Member
Been liked: 20 times

Post by Gunsmokin » Tue Mar 29, 2016 8:37 pm

CCRBUM wrote:
Next wrote:There is an M1A Socom at everything concealed carry for a little over $1,100 with several mags. I would rather have the M1A myself over a 308 AR.

Where is that?
Talorsville Road near Watterson trail in J-town across from the Moby Dick.
jackalo626 wrote:Skibble dee dibbledy

Dave1965
KAC Member
KAC Member
Been liked: 23 times

Post by Dave1965 » Tue Mar 29, 2016 8:58 pm

Gunsmokin wrote:
CCRBUM wrote:

Where is that?
Talorsville Road near Watterson trail in J-town across from the Moby Dick.

Had one of those, excellent rifle. I do prefer the Sig or HK version of AR10 platform to that of armalite though.

Return to “AR-15”