Let's talk slings

The black rifle we all love. All variants welcome. 223/556 300 BLK, 762, 50, AR pistols.... Bring it.
RecoilSensitive
KAC Member
KAC Member
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 2 times

Let's talk slings

Post by RecoilSensitive » Thu Dec 17, 2015 7:25 pm

Okay looking for a sling for my carbine. Pretty sure I want a 2 point nylon. I have an moe stock and a standard sling loop on the front. I have has single point and like them on my AR pistols but they seem to hang a rifle too low for me.

What do you guys recommend. Looking for one under $40 that will hold up for me.
"But now," he said, "take your money and a traveler's bag. And if you don't have a sword, sell your cloak and buy one" -Jesus (Luke 22:36 NLT)

Marcus
Founding Father
Founding Father
Been liked: 62 times

Re: Let's talk slings

Post by Marcus » Thu Dec 17, 2015 7:41 pm

RecoilSensitive wrote:Okay looking for a sling for my carbine. Pretty sure I want a 2 point nylon. I have an moe stock and a standard sling loop on the front. I have has single point and like them on my AR pistols but they seem to hang a rifle too low for me.

What do you guys recommend. Looking for one under $40 that will hold up for me.
Using that criteria, it only needs to hold up until you sell it next week.:llama:

Seriously, I thought there was a thread on here, but quite a ways back. I'm sure some of the more experienced guys will add their opinions.
Mandy wrote:I meant Marcus post, he's like ninja slicer, he's nice he's nice he's nice, ....SWISH... he cuts your effin head off ;)

ssracer
KAC Member
KAC Member
Been liked: 56 times

Post by ssracer » Thu Dec 17, 2015 7:57 pm

I like the blue force gear VCAS sling. It's got a slide that makes it quickly adjustable to a longer length if needed like when moving to shoot weak side

jackalo626
Global Mod
Global Mod
Has liked: 20 times
Been liked: 22 times

Post by jackalo626 » Thu Dec 17, 2015 8:09 pm

ssracer wrote:I like the blue force gear VCAS sling. It's got a slide that makes it quickly adjustable to a longer length if needed like when moving to shoot weak side
I have one of the padded vcas slings and it works. I'm no seal member but I do like it.

jmeister
KAC Member
KAC Member
Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 3 times

Post by jmeister » Thu Dec 17, 2015 8:10 pm

another vote for the VCAS

jackalo626
Global Mod
Global Mod

Post by jackalo626 » Thu Dec 17, 2015 8:11 pm

Also have magpul ms series slings on my AR's and they are the 2in1 slings that do single and 2 point and they work for (ME) better and transitioning to weak side which courses should make you do and they do so I know which worked easier for me.

gaston_kalash
Has liked: 0
Been liked: 0

Let's talk slings

Post by gaston_kalash » Thu Dec 17, 2015 8:15 pm

I have a magpul ms3 sling and it's pretty good at being a single point sling and puts the rifle right where you want it and not to low but is not a very good 2 point but is okay. I'm actually interested in another sling and look foreward to hearing everyone's opinion and looking for a good 2 point option as well.
SI JE PUIS

ssracer
KAC Member
KAC Member

Post by ssracer » Thu Dec 17, 2015 8:17 pm

I have a VCAS on my 14.5" build. My SBR has an Armageddon Gear bungee sling with an impact weapons components 2-1 triglide so I can run it two point or single point with a quick switch.

PDM
KAC Member
KAC Member
Has liked: 89 times
Been liked: 47 times

Post by PDM » Thu Dec 17, 2015 8:39 pm

Can't go wrong with vcas vtac or magpul
"The unlimited power of the sword is not in the hands of either the federal or the state governments, but, where I trust in God it will ever remain, in the hands of the people."
Tench Coxe

son of liberty
KAC Member
KAC Member

Post by son of liberty » Thu Dec 17, 2015 8:46 pm

Botac has similar slings to some very famous name brand slings at a much cheaper price and the gew i have seen have been the same quality as name brands. Vcas for 25 buckshttps://www.botach.com/kley-zion-quick-adjust-s ... -pull-tab/

Look around there they got some great deals ets ar mags for 13 bucks right now.

richief
Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 1 time

Post by richief » Thu Dec 17, 2015 11:09 pm

I have the padded version of the bfg vcas, for patrol carry its hard to beat, the flexible length adj adds versatility.

Mike
KAC Member
KAC Member
Been liked: 5 times

Post by Mike » Thu Dec 17, 2015 11:21 pm

Another vote for Blue Force Gear 2 point sling. Single points are too sloppy for me.
:llama:

Whootsinator
Little Butthole

Post by Whootsinator » Thu Dec 17, 2015 11:30 pm

Almost any trusted 2-point will serve you well. I've used the VCAS for years because I don't like the VTAC's free tail flopping around, but I think the VTAC has a higher adjustment range and is easier to adjust. My personal rifle has the padded VCAS with sewn in QD swivels, but my "duty" sling when I need to play Army is a regular unpadded, non-QD coyote brown model. Going forward I'd continue buying the unpadded model, as the padding hasn't made much of a difference to me comfort wise but has gotten in the way of certain things.

I didn't like Magpul's first slings (thin and flimsy webbing, single-point only) but their current model is pretty nice. It's very similar in function to VCAS/VTAC slings now.

Another option I'd really like to try out is the newer SOB sling. Again, it functions similarly to the others, but I suspect it might be easier to use than my VCAS.
http://www.sobmanswag.com/collections/slings
"I don't retreat; I kick ass in the other direction."

ssracer
KAC Member
KAC Member

Post by ssracer » Thu Dec 17, 2015 11:38 pm

Agreed about the padded vs unpadded on the VCAS. I used to have a padded, but the one I have now is not. Much less bulky and not much difference in comfort

jackalo626
Global Mod
Global Mod

Post by jackalo626 » Fri Dec 18, 2015 12:46 pm

ssracer wrote:Agreed about the padded vs unpadded on the VCAS. I used to have a padded, but the one I have now is not. Much less bulky and not much difference in comfort
The weight of the rifle it is holding and the users size are likely very important to equation. Normal size guy carrying an Ak47 being fairly heavy vs ar might be the difference. Just food for thought.

Tomahawk

Post by Tomahawk » Fri Dec 18, 2015 1:19 pm

Also should factor in what youre using the sling for. As in having it strapped to you for long hours? Or short time. Only time id see needing padded would be backpackin or security guard. Otherwise range time shouldnt be much. The price difference might just be minimal enough that you get padded anyways.

RecoilSensitive
KAC Member
KAC Member
Been liked: 2 times

Post by RecoilSensitive » Fri Dec 18, 2015 2:01 pm

I don't need pad I don't think. My other rifles all have basic 2 point. Even hunting rifles. Only one that has pad is my shotgun
"But now," he said, "take your money and a traveler's bag. And if you don't have a sword, sell your cloak and buy one" -Jesus (Luke 22:36 NLT)

Whootsinator
Little Butthole

Post by Whootsinator » Fri Dec 18, 2015 2:44 pm

jackalo626 wrote:The weight of the rifle it is holding and the users size are likely very important to equation. Normal size guy carrying an Ak47 being fairly heavy vs ar might be the difference. Just food for thought.
Tomahawk wrote:Also should factor in what youre using the sling for. As in having it strapped to you for long hours? Or short time. Only time id see needing padded would be backpackin or security guard. Otherwise range time shouldnt be much. The price difference might just be minimal enough that you get padded anyways.
I'm 5'8", 165 pounds. Not a big dude, not a toothpick. While wearing an M4 24 hours a day for multiple days with about two pounds of extra shit strapped to it , I still found the padding more of a hindrance than a help. Someone else may really need it, but even while carrying a rifle for days at a time I'd rather not have it.
Last edited by Whootsinator on Fri Dec 18, 2015 5:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PDM
KAC Member
KAC Member
Has liked: 89 times
Been liked: 47 times

Post by PDM » Fri Dec 18, 2015 3:33 pm

I'm with whoots. My varmint (wannabe tactical) rifle is over 15# and hiking several miles with it ended up being most comfortable with a 1.5" non-padded sling.
"The unlimited power of the sword is not in the hands of either the federal or the state governments, but, where I trust in God it will ever remain, in the hands of the people."
Tench Coxe

guncrank1
KAC Member
KAC Member
Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 15 times

Post by guncrank1 » Fri Dec 18, 2015 5:49 pm

Two point leather , perfectly a thick shooting sling

jackalo626
Global Mod
Global Mod

Post by jackalo626 » Fri Dec 18, 2015 6:30 pm

Whootsinator wrote:
jackalo626 wrote:The weight of the rifle it is holding and the users size are likely very important to equation. Normal size guy carrying an Ak47 being fairly heavy vs ar might be the difference. Just food for thought.
Tomahawk wrote:Also should factor in what youre using the sling for. As in having it strapped to you for long hours? Or short time. Only time id see needing padded would be backpackin or security guard. Otherwise range time shouldnt be much. The price difference might just be minimal enough that you get padded anyways.
I'm 5'8", 165 pounds. Not a big dude, not a toothpick. While wearing an M4 24 hours a day for multiple days with about two pounds of extra shit strapped to it , I still found the padding more of a hindrance than a help. Someone else may really need it, but even while carrying a rifle for days at a time I'd rather not have it.
24hrs? Someone is hazing you bro! You also should know by now that the snipe hunt they have taken you on is a scam! Lol

Whootsinator
Little Butthole

Post by Whootsinator » Fri Dec 18, 2015 6:37 pm

Yes, 24 hours a day for multiple days.

jackalo626
Global Mod
Global Mod

Post by jackalo626 » Fri Dec 18, 2015 7:22 pm

Whootsinator wrote:Yes, 24 hours a day for multiple days.
Mothafuckin rambo! You should really take breaks, eat, and sleep somewhere in there but keep up the good work.

Frailer
KAC Member
KAC Member

Post by Frailer » Fri Dec 18, 2015 9:10 pm

jackalo626 wrote:
Whootsinator wrote:
24hrs? Someone is hazing you bro! You also should know by now that the snipe hunt they have taken you on is a scam! Lol
They let you use a sling? Army's getting soft; we had to keep it in our hands.

But, to be fair, we didn't have to carry it 24 hours a day. They let us prop it up against a tree or rock when we had to take a shit.

Back to the original question: my rifles all have a M14-style loop sling or a plain 1-1/2" nylon strap.

Whootsinator
Little Butthole

Post by Whootsinator » Fri Dec 18, 2015 9:30 pm

Frailer wrote:They let you use a sling? Army's getting soft; we had to keep it in our hands.

But, to be fair, we didn't have to carry it 24 hours a day. They let us prop it up against a tree or rock when we had to take a shit.
No slings in Basic/AIT, even if you had a 249 or 240. No leaning/propping against anything. It was either in someone's hands or stacked appropriately and guarded.

Return to “AR-15”