AR9

The black rifle we all love. All variants welcome. 223/556 300 BLK, 762, 50, AR pistols.... Bring it.
Gunsmokin
KAC Member
KAC Member
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 20 times

Re: AR9

Post by Gunsmokin » Sun Apr 17, 2016 6:54 pm

It's a Home Depot 22" tool box. It's pretty stout. The stuff inside just pulled right out. There was a panel in the lid that just snapped in. Popped it out and went to town.
jackalo626 wrote:Skibble dee dibbledy

Gunsmokin
KAC Member
KAC Member

Post by Gunsmokin » Sun Apr 17, 2016 6:55 pm

V 2.0

ImageImageImage

Gunsmokin
KAC Member
KAC Member

Post by Gunsmokin » Sun Apr 17, 2016 6:57 pm

ImageImage
It closes. Nothing rubs that I can see. I'll need to cut and install some Velcro in the lid so it can be opened without setting the case on edge.

ssracer
KAC Member
KAC Member
Been liked: 56 times

Post by ssracer » Sun Apr 17, 2016 7:10 pm

That's pretty damn sweet

Wyldman
KAC Member
KAC Member
Has liked: 0
Been liked: 0

Post by Wyldman » Sun Apr 17, 2016 8:31 pm

Nice job! I likee!

Crush, kill, mangle, maim, destroy.
IN GOD WE TRUST

"That boy's paradigm don't always add up to four nickels...."

Gunsmokin
KAC Member
KAC Member

Post by Gunsmokin » Sun Apr 17, 2016 9:04 pm

Thanks!

Gunsmokin
KAC Member
KAC Member

Post by Gunsmokin » Mon Apr 18, 2016 3:48 pm

Gunsmokin wrote:Well, crap! I got issues with my build.... I need a couple OEM Glock mags. Not getting a good feeling from the cheapo mags.
So, I can get the knock off 33rd Glock stick mags to lock in the mag well with the bolt held open or with just the lower by itself.

When the bolt moves forward to go into battery, it hangs up about on the right hand lip of the magazine about half way across the mag opening. The bolt clears the left side lip.

It looks to me like the bolt is just too wide where it strips the round out of the mag or it is too thick from top to bottom. I don't have a good pic of what I'm talking about and won't be able to take one until Thursday evening, earliest.

ssracer
KAC Member
KAC Member

Post by ssracer » Mon Apr 18, 2016 4:48 pm

Gunsmokin wrote:
Gunsmokin wrote:Well, crap! I got issues with my build.... I need a couple OEM Glock mags. Not getting a good feeling from the cheapo mags.
So, I can get the knock off 33rd Glock stick mags to lock in the mag well with the bolt held open or with just the lower by itself.

When the bolt moves forward to go into battery, it hangs up about on the right hand lip of the magazine about half way across the mag opening. The bolt clears the left side lip.

It looks to me like the bolt is just too wide where it strips the round out of the mag or it is too thick from top to bottom. I don't have a good pic of what I'm talking about and won't be able to take one until Thursday evening, earliest.
You have any other mags to try with? If the bolt is rated to work with Glock mags then it may just be an issue with the molding of the cheap mags not being correct. May have over-molded the feed lips to try and increase their strength or something.

Gunsmokin
KAC Member
KAC Member

Post by Gunsmokin » Mon Apr 18, 2016 5:02 pm

ssracer wrote:
Gunsmokin wrote:

You have any other mags to try with? If the bolt is rated to work with Glock mags then it may just be an issue with the molding of the cheap mags not being correct. May have over-molded the feed lips to try and increase their strength or something.
The mags I have are SGM mags. They have exposed steel lips. I'm going to pick up a genuine Glock mag and go from there.

Niceguy
KAC Member
KAC Member
Has liked: 327 times
Been liked: 92 times

Post by Niceguy » Mon Apr 18, 2016 5:25 pm

Gunsmokin wrote:
ssracer wrote:
Gunsmokin wrote:

The mags I have are SGM mags. They have exposed steel lips. I'm going to pick up a genuine Glock mag and go from there.
You're more than welcome to borrow one if you like.

ssracer
KAC Member
KAC Member

Post by ssracer » Mon Apr 18, 2016 7:15 pm

Hell...bring it over and you can try Glock, Magpul and ETS mags...lol

jackalo626
Global Mod
Global Mod
Has liked: 20 times
Been liked: 22 times

Post by jackalo626 » Tue Apr 19, 2016 5:51 pm

Gunsmokin wrote:
ssracer wrote:
Gunsmokin wrote:

Oem is the only way to roll.

Gunsmokin
KAC Member
KAC Member

Post by Gunsmokin » Tue Apr 19, 2016 6:35 pm

jackalo626 wrote:
Gunsmokin wrote:
ssracer wrote:
Gunsmokin wrote:

Oem is the only way to roll.
Thanks, Jack.

Gunsmokin
KAC Member
KAC Member

Post by Gunsmokin » Fri Apr 22, 2016 7:32 pm

I think I have resolved the problem of the bolt hitting the lip of the mags. I took a small amount of material off the bolt that was hitting. Cycled a set of 5 snap caps through the 3 mags a few times. The mags are being cleared by the bolt. The bolt is seeming to chamber and extract the rounds pretty reliably. Guess the actual live functioning still remains to be seen.

RecoilSensitive
KAC Member
KAC Member
Been liked: 2 times

Post by RecoilSensitive » Thu Apr 28, 2016 3:06 pm

Most ordered my AR9 parts. Well most of them.
Spartan Lower (Glock)
NFA modular bolt
KAW Valley 8.5 barrel

Will be ordering a thorsden, Cmmg keymod, KAK can, some kind of trigger (maybe hyper fire) and an upper in next couple days
"But now," he said, "take your money and a traveler's bag. And if you don't have a sword, sell your cloak and buy one" -Jesus (Luke 22:36 NLT)

RecoilSensitive
KAC Member
KAC Member

Post by RecoilSensitive » Sun May 08, 2016 1:09 pm

What buffer set ups are you guys using? That's one of the last things I need and want to order today.
"But now," he said, "take your money and a traveler's bag. And if you don't have a sword, sell your cloak and buy one" -Jesus (Luke 22:36 NLT)

shaggy1392
KAC Member
KAC Member
Been liked: 1 time

Post by shaggy1392 » Sun May 08, 2016 2:00 pm

I'm using a spikes 9mm buffer but my rifle is not together yet so I'm not sure how well it works. I still need to get a stripped upper and bcg. I have had my stamp for a few weeks now so i need to get it together soon.

Wyldman
KAC Member
KAC Member
Been liked: 0

Post by Wyldman » Sun May 08, 2016 5:20 pm

I used the KAK heavy 9mm buffer. I've been cycling it by hand, seating in the parts & lube, and it feels great, very smooth. I hope to get it out Tue. to zero the sights and function test it.

Crush, kill, mangle, maim, destroy.
IN GOD WE TRUST

"That boy's paradigm don't always add up to four nickels...."

Toddstang
Global Mod
Global Mod
Has liked: 145 times
Been liked: 98 times

Post by Toddstang » Sun May 08, 2016 5:49 pm

Gunsmokin wrote:ImageImage
It closes. Nothing rubs that I can see. I'll need to cut and install some Velcro in the lid so it can be opened without setting the case on edge.
Sweet!

ssracer
KAC Member
KAC Member

Post by ssracer » Sun May 08, 2016 9:16 pm

shaggy1392 wrote:I'm using a spikes 9mm buffer but my rifle is not together yet so I'm not sure how well it works. I still need to get a stripped upper and bcg. I have had my stamp for a few weeks now so i need to get it together soon.
is it the long 9mm buffer? If so mine gave me issues for being too heavy and too long. It works now though.

shaggy1392
KAC Member
KAC Member
Been liked: 1 time

Post by shaggy1392 » Sun May 08, 2016 10:05 pm

ssracer wrote:
shaggy1392 wrote:I'm using a spikes 9mm buffer but my rifle is not together yet so I'm not sure how well it works. I still need to get a stripped upper and bcg. I have had my stamp for a few weeks now so i need to get it together soon.
is it the long 9mm buffer? If so mine gave me issues for being too heavy and too long. It works now though.
Yeah it is. What issues did you have with it?

RecoilSensitive
KAC Member
KAC Member

Post by RecoilSensitive » Sun May 08, 2016 10:11 pm

Okay I think I am going to order the KAK from Joe bob with a new spring. Going to snag a flash can too.

Next I need a rail.

ssracer
KAC Member
KAC Member

Post by ssracer » Sun May 08, 2016 10:40 pm

shaggy1392 wrote:
ssracer wrote:
Yeah it is. What issues did you have with it?
I'm not sure if the weight was an issue, but it's 8oz and QC10 recommended 5.5oz. I lightened it to 6 by drilling it out from the back.

The length was the biggest issue. It left less than 1/16" of space after the bolt catch. It wasn't allowing enough time for the bolt catch to actuate for the QC10 last round hold open to work. My ARs have about 1/4" of space. I ground the bumper down to give close to that and now it reliably locks open on the last round.

It functioned perfect aside from the last round hold open before making any alterations to it.

Return to “AR-15”