Forged vs billit lowers

The black rifle we all love. All variants welcome. 223/556 300 BLK, 762, 50, AR pistols.... Bring it.
guncrank1
KAC Member
KAC Member
Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 15 times

Forged vs billit lowers

Post by guncrank1 » Sun Sep 13, 2015 12:08 pm

There is a difference in tensile strength between forged and billet. Under catastrophic failure billet will bulge whereas forged will splinter and produce more shrapnel.

Disscussion?
Saw this on FB

ssracer
KAC Member
KAC Member
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 56 times

Re: Forged vs billit lowers

Post by ssracer » Sun Sep 13, 2015 12:26 pm

Interesting. I had kinda just assumed that the biggest draw to billet was the unlimited amount of custom looks you could mill into it since you aren't limited to what you have to start with from the original forging. With billet as long as the critical inner and outer dimensions are milled correctly, you can do whatever you want with the look of the rest of it.

DDgunslinger
Has liked: 0
Been liked: 0

Post by DDgunslinger » Sun Sep 13, 2015 12:31 pm

Hmm... interesting, I'd like to see how this was tested and this conclusion was made.

Wyldman
KAC Member
KAC Member

Post by Wyldman » Sun Sep 13, 2015 12:39 pm

I doubt if any actual testing was involved, just someone assuming that forged would be more brittle, hence the shrapnel statement.

Crush, kill, mangle, maim, destroy.
IN GOD WE TRUST

"That boy's paradigm don't always add up to four nickels...."

WLJ
KAC Member
KAC Member
Has liked: 11 times
Been liked: 110 times

Post by WLJ » Sun Sep 13, 2015 1:03 pm

Just someone trying to justify why he paid more.
There are criminals among us who are both homicidal and incorrigible. Their parents took a shot at civilizing them and failed. Their school teachers took a shot at them and failed. The odds are overwhelming that government welfare programs and penal institutions took a shot at them and failed. If it ever becomes your turn to take a shot at them, don’t fail.

DDgunslinger

Post by DDgunslinger » Sun Sep 13, 2015 1:06 pm

Kinda my point if no testing was done, then no evidence was gathered to support there conclusion, therefore their conclusion is unfounded and invalid.

WLJ
KAC Member
KAC Member

Post by WLJ » Sun Sep 13, 2015 1:44 pm

Did he even bother to produce photos where a forged lower splintered that wasn't made by Hessse/Vulcan/Blackthorne? Considing how many blown ARs there have been there should be plenty if he was right.
There are criminals among us who are both homicidal and incorrigible. Their parents took a shot at civilizing them and failed. Their school teachers took a shot at them and failed. The odds are overwhelming that government welfare programs and penal institutions took a shot at them and failed. If it ever becomes your turn to take a shot at them, don’t fail.

guncrank1
KAC Member
KAC Member

Post by guncrank1 » Sun Sep 13, 2015 1:59 pm

I am not a metalergy expert, but I have machined material from plastic to all types of metals.
I have repaired, altered and modified ARs from machine guns to SBRs , both forged and billet and I have seen pictures of kabooms and all types of malfunctions.
And to me the difference between forged and billet is zero in terms of function.

PDM
KAC Member
KAC Member
Has liked: 89 times
Been liked: 47 times

Post by PDM » Sun Sep 13, 2015 3:53 pm

The failure modes described are true, but he is misunderstanding them. Forged aluminum will crack with less deformation than T6, but it will not shatter like glass. They both look the same when they break. T6 just bends a little more before it breaks, but it will break with less pressure. The forged (a billet is also forged) is stronger and will fail at a higher pressure. It really doesn't take much to bend T6. In a rifle application, it really doesn't matter. If a 223 round gets a double charge of powder, the gun will grenade. Period. If the rifle is dropped out of a helicopter, the forged will hold up better provided that the rest of the gun is still usable.
"The unlimited power of the sword is not in the hands of either the federal or the state governments, but, where I trust in God it will ever remain, in the hands of the people."
Tench Coxe

Wyldman
KAC Member
KAC Member

Post by Wyldman » Sun Sep 13, 2015 3:53 pm

The above type of empirical evidence is far more credible in my book.

IN GOD WE TRUST

guncrank1
KAC Member
KAC Member

Post by guncrank1 » Sun Sep 13, 2015 5:07 pm

PDM wrote:The failure modes described are true, but he is misunderstanding them. Forged aluminum will crack with less deformation than T6, but it will not shatter like glass. They both look the same when they break. T6 just bends a little more before it breaks, but it will break with less pressure. The forged (a billet is also forged) is stronger and will fail at a higher pressure. It really doesn't take much to bend T6. In a rifle application, it really doesn't matter. If a 223 round gets a double charge of powder, the gun will grenade. Period. If the rifle is dropped out of a helicopter, the forged will hold up better provided that the rest of the gun is still usable.
Billet are not forged , machined from a block of aluminum.

PDM
KAC Member
KAC Member
Has liked: 89 times
Been liked: 47 times

Post by PDM » Sun Sep 13, 2015 5:16 pm

Yeah, that was just a play on semantics. It is all forged one way or another. Forged and billet are such generic terms, they don't really define anything about the material
"The unlimited power of the sword is not in the hands of either the federal or the state governments, but, where I trust in God it will ever remain, in the hands of the people."
Tench Coxe

guncrank1
KAC Member
KAC Member

Post by guncrank1 » Sun Sep 13, 2015 6:05 pm

PDM wrote:Yeah, that was just a play on semantics. It is all forged one way or another. Forged and billet are such generic terms, they don't really define anything about the material

Also the lower has not much pressure , but the upper takes the kaboom

Toddstang
Global Mod
Global Mod
Has liked: 145 times
Been liked: 98 times

Post by Toddstang » Sun Sep 13, 2015 6:25 pm

Don't drop your gun. Problem solved.

I'm going to start charging for my expertise.

guncrank1
KAC Member
KAC Member

Post by guncrank1 » Sun Sep 13, 2015 6:58 pm

Toddstang wrote:Don't drop your gun. Problem solved.

I'm going to start charging for my expertise.
Pretty cheap prices then

justang1997
KAC Member
KAC Member

Post by justang1997 » Mon Sep 14, 2015 2:20 am

guncrank1
KAC Member
KAC Member

Post by guncrank1 » Mon Sep 14, 2015 9:53 am

OK . Sounds like a shill review for Sun Devil
All I know is National Match rifles must conform to spec so the upper and lowers are standard form forged items, or if billet are machined to miltary specs-and those rifles shot as well as any other.
Now there may be billet uppers and lowers used but the dozen or so National Match rifles I have examined on the firing line have had forged upper/ lowers.

I will say again that it makes zero difference in term of functional accuracy / preformance what the lower and upper are made -be it machined from a block or forged to shape and then machined.

Barrel tolerance concentric chamber to bore , Good finish on rifling style, constant ID of bore, good muzzle crown etc

The tightness of bolt to upper , the lock up timing, feed ramp design, barrel flange to upper barrel seat true, tightness of componts etc

Sights- appropriate to mission optics tightly mounted and not going to self destruct.

Fine trigger either store bought or honed.

Maybe a few other things , etc

Mexican Kerry
KAC Member
KAC Member
Been liked: 12 times

Post by Mexican Kerry » Sat Sep 26, 2015 9:09 pm

Quit reading after "Saw this on FB"

kokopelli
KAC Member
KAC Member
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 17 times

Post by kokopelli » Sun Sep 27, 2015 9:20 am

:llama: Because soooooo many AR's have been exploding ...

WLJ
KAC Member
KAC Member

Post by WLJ » Sun Sep 27, 2015 9:31 am

kokopelli wrote::llama: Because soooooo many AR's have been exploding ...
According to one of the salesmen at Kygunco, yep, he not shy about telling you why he won't own an AR is because they keep exploding. He told me he's had something like 5 (I think that was the number he gave) of them explode on him. Now if true, which I highly doubt, it makes you wonder WTF could he be doing.

jackalo626
Global Mod
Global Mod
Has liked: 20 times
Been liked: 22 times

Post by jackalo626 » Sun Sep 27, 2015 9:43 am

WLJ wrote:
According to one of the salesmen at Kygunco, yep, he not shy about telling you why he won't own an AR is because they keep exploding. He told me he's had something like 5 (I think that was the number he gave) of them explode on him. Now if true, which I highly doubt, it makes you wonder WTF could he be doing.
That statement tells me all I need to know about that guy and I would never surround myself around that type of nonsense. He's the type that would tell you a Honda Civic is a terrible car and he had 5 of them and not one made it past 1400 miles and they are junk. Whether you like that brand or not, you understand someone is full of shit when you hear that and you need to keep it moving or suffer more lies from them in the future.

WLJ
KAC Member
KAC Member

Post by WLJ » Sun Sep 27, 2015 9:49 am

jackalo626 wrote:
WLJ wrote:
That statement tells me all I need to know about that guy and I would never surround myself around that type of nonsense. He's the type that would tell you a Honda Civic is a terrible car and he had 5 of them and not one made it past 1400 miles and they are junk. Whether you like that brand or not, you understand someone is full of shit when you hear that and you need to keep it moving or suffer more lies from them in the future.
How about the "I've had 11 Taurus's and they were all a POS" stories
If 1, 2, and 3 were POSs, why the F did you go on to buy 4, 5 ,6, 7, 8, 9, 10, and 11?

jackalo626
Global Mod
Global Mod
Has liked: 20 times
Been liked: 22 times

Post by jackalo626 » Sun Sep 27, 2015 9:51 am

WLJ wrote:
jackalo626 wrote:
WLJ wrote:
How about the "I've had 11 Taurus's and they were all a POS" stories
If 1, 2, and 3 were POSs, why the F did you go on to buy 4, 5 ,6, 7, 8, 9, 10, and 11?
That's one of my big points in the statement and I agree. It's not only they are liars because it DIDN'T happen but if you had bad luck with a couple, you're so stupid you kept touching the stove.... ow ow ow ow this is hot... ow ow ow.

DDgunslinger

Post by DDgunslinger » Sun Sep 27, 2015 9:58 am

Agreed... in short:

Honda = Good
Taurus = Bad
Salesman at KYGUNCO = Stupid
AR > AK

Glad we got all that cleared up

Wyldman
KAC Member
KAC Member

Post by Wyldman » Sun Sep 27, 2015 10:38 am

Wow! That's incredible! That means that of my 11 AR rifles, over half of them should have exploded by now. Funny thing, not one of them actually has in over 40 years of shooting them.

Interesting.

BS meter pegged & needle bent.

IN GOD WE TRUST

Return to “AR-15”