Ammo talk and ammo related topics
gundoc
KAC Member
KAC Member
Has liked: 0
Been liked: 0

Ammo availability

Post by gundoc » Sat Mar 02, 2013 12:34 am

Since I work in the gun and ammo business I know that we have been told by suppliers not to expect full re-supply untill late August. I have been out of .22 long rifle ammo for about a month and I got in 5 boxes of CCI velocitors today. Yes just 5 boxes, Now I am sure our buyers are trying to find ammo from anywhere they can get it because they sent me 2500 federal crimped .22 shot shells. I have customers who are buying it just to have something to shoot. I have plenty of ammo right now and even reloading components so I can weather this but I have customers who have nothing to shoot in the guns they own. Most shooters only buy ammo when they go to shoot and were used to the stores having plenty. I can't tell you the amount of times I have heard "But I am taking my CCDW class tomorrow and I need ammo". Less and less ammo is being delivered on every truck and some trucks we don't get any ammo. I think that it will get worse before it gets better. The only handgun ammo left at work is .45 LC and that is selling too so soon we will be out of that.
Am I the only one who thinks this or Am I just chicken little yelling the Sky is falling?

JustShootIt
Founding Father
Founding Father
Has liked: 3 times

Re: Ammo availability

Post by JustShootIt » Sat Mar 02, 2013 12:51 am

No.....the sky is falling
"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."(Edmund Burke)

Gaffshot
KAC Member
KAC Member

Post by Gaffshot » Sat Mar 02, 2013 12:57 am

I think the crunch is loosening up a bit. Seeing a few thing become available online here and there. Just have to know where to look and be quick on the trigger. Maybe the "sequester" will free up the ammo supply.

Napoleon

Post by Napoleon » Sat Mar 02, 2013 8:55 am

I agree that things are starting to loosen up a bit. It seems that you can pretty much get what you need right now if you plan ahead and are willing to pay higher prices.

I think that what is mostly driving the current buying level is: (1) some really populous states (NY, IL, CA, MD) have new, more restrictive laws going into effect right now and folks unfortunate enough to live in those fascist hellholes are trying to build up a lifetime supply (and maybe a lifetime supply for their descendants too) and (2) all of us worry that there may be another event like Sandy Hook which would start the whole thing up all over again.

The next couple of months will be dominated with budget squabbling in Washington and that should help push gun control off the front pages. If we can get through the Spring without another mass shooting event, I expect ammo availability to significantly improve.

Just my WAG.

bigelowe
KAC Member
KAC Member
Has liked: 1 time

Post by bigelowe » Sat Mar 02, 2013 9:04 am

I always kept a couple boxes of ammo around for each gun caliber. Now my philosophy is more is better,buy it when you find it. Hoping it gets better sooner than later
Not everyone can be a winner or get a trophy, we are raising a society full of pu**ies

2nd place is the 1st place loser.

Currently looking for that unicorn.

irishrob
KAC Member
KAC Member
Has liked: 74 times
Been liked: 62 times

Post by irishrob » Sat Mar 02, 2013 9:24 am

Been watching CTDs site. Refuse to buy from them. They still have their ammo prices jacked up but they also have a Yankee Hill stripped lower that started out last week at $399. Dropped to $359, $319. Today it's $259. Shows me things are starting to loosen up a little.

gundoc
KAC Member
KAC Member

Post by gundoc » Sat Mar 02, 2013 12:06 pm

Gaffshot wrote:I think the crunch is loosening up a bit. Seeing a few thing become available online here and there. Just have to know where to look and be quick on the trigger. Maybe the "sequester" will free up the ammo supply.
"The crunch loosening" Maybe but I think it is the end of the month and distibutors always need to pay bills before they loose the discount on the bill. When I was gunshowing and had the store we could get good "One time only Deals" just before the end of the month. Prices may drop a little but supply is not getting any better. The "seqestor" might have some Gubment agencies dropping some orders and that may help supply.

Shortgrub
KAC Member
KAC Member

Post by Shortgrub » Sun Mar 03, 2013 5:54 am

Gundoc sent ya a PM

agisoec

Post by agisoec » Thu Mar 21, 2013 3:37 pm

I've heard rumors that the government is buying it up and storing it. Maybe they'll run out of money soon.

WLJ
KAC Member
KAC Member
Has liked: 11 times
Been liked: 110 times

Post by WLJ » Thu Mar 21, 2013 3:40 pm

agisoec wrote:I've heard rumors that the government is buying it up and storing it. Maybe they'll run out of money soon.
We'll run out money soon..
There are criminals among us who are both homicidal and incorrigible. Their parents took a shot at civilizing them and failed. Their school teachers took a shot at them and failed. The odds are overwhelming that government welfare programs and penal institutions took a shot at them and failed. If it ever becomes your turn to take a shot at them, don’t fail.

jackalo626
Global Mod
Global Mod
Has liked: 20 times
Been liked: 22 times

Post by jackalo626 » Thu Mar 21, 2013 5:20 pm

WLJ wrote:
agisoec wrote:I've heard rumors that the government is buying it up and storing it. Maybe they'll run out of money soon.
We'll run out money soon..
Word

Toddstang
Global Mod
Global Mod
Has liked: 145 times
Been liked: 98 times

Post by Toddstang » Thu Mar 21, 2013 7:30 pm

Walmart said they still get there regular shipments, its just that everyone keeps buying before it hits the shelves.

GreyGoose
KAC Member
KAC Member

Post by GreyGoose » Thu Mar 21, 2013 8:13 pm

The lady that works at Walmart in Middletown says as she is stocking the shelf she often gets cleaned out before it ever goes on the shelve.

Return to “Ammo”